Best break in oil for 139cc Senci engine?

I just ordered a 3.5kw Senci generator with 139cc, air cooled engine, 3600RPM.

I am wondering what's the best oil I can buy to break it in properly with the least wear on the engine?
And which oil should I buy after the break in period?

Thanks!

Honda says to change the oil on the new small engines after 5 hours of service. That seems like good advice for any small engine regardless of make.

I know you don't have a Honda engine, but this manual from Honda in 2021 states 5 hours for those interested:

Thanks.

The manual of my engine states the same.

But which oil is good for break in? I read someone that Moly is not good for break in and this is one of the oils that I found here that does not contain it. But it is pretty poor on the Zinc additive. Or am I wrong?
If that's good for break in or even for use after break in, I will buy it in 10w40 which I believe has similiar additives.

But which oil is good for break in? I read someone that Moly is not good for break in and this is one of the oils that I found here that does not contain it. But it is pretty poor on the Zinc additive. Or am I wrong?
An oil of the grade recommended in your owner's manual that carries the listed license or specification.

An oil of the grade called out in your owner's manual that carries the listed license or specification.
It says either 10w-40 or 15w-40 but no grades mentioned there.

I feel like I am over-thinking it but I like to baby my stuff :D

There is no need for a break in type of oil. Use what ever is recommended and use the generator. Change the first oil change sooner than later.

Just use a regular automotive type oil of good quality in the grade it mentions in the manual. No need for anything fancy for breaking it in. If you are feeling concerned, it won't hurt it to change the oil after the first hour of use and then again at 5 hours. During the first hour or two of break in, run it without a load.

Edit: sometimes Chinese power equipment comes with cheap spark plugs installed. "Torch" is a common one that is infamous poor performance. If it runs roughly or is hard to start, I would recommend replacing with an NKG, Denso, or similar quality plug.

Last edited:
Nothing fancy. Small engines have low valve spring pressures even though they have flat tappet cams, so you don't need any special high zinc oil. The best thing you can do for a splash lubed small engine is keep the oil full, and change it at the proper interval to get out any contaminants.

I usually run a HDEO like 5w40 or 15w40 in generators, as it seems to be less likely to burn off when run for extended periods under load.

@uriel250 why not use a HDEO 15w40 that is inexpensive? I personally use Farm & Fleet 5w40 HDEO. It is affordable and works great in my Wen and other OPE. I use 5w40 for starting. If cold weather is not a factor I would use 15w40 in the same oil.

just my $0.02

@uriel250 why not use a HDEO 15w40 that is inexpensive? I personally use Farm & Fleet 5w40 HDEO. It is affordable and works great in my Wen and other OPE. I use 5w40 for starting. If cold weather is not a factor I would use 15w40 in the same oil.

just my $0.02
Is it okay to use heavy duty DIESEL oil in small gasoline engine? I thought some additives in Diesel oils are bad for gasoline.

Is it okay to use heavy duty DIESEL oil in small gasoline engine? I thought some additives in Diesel oils are bad for gasoline.
Considering you stated the owner's manual gives you no specification or license then yes of course. Diesel oils are not bad for gasoline, whatever you mean by that exactly.

Many diesel engine oils are dual rated for diesel and gasoline engines, but some of them are not meant for gasoline engines with catalytic convertors, since long term use in an engine that burns a lot of oil *could* harm the cat convertors in theory. This isn't an issue with small engines.

Back