Best blend with these 3 oils.

2006 Sentra, ~114K on the odometer, takes 3quarts, no oil burning, or leaking.

3 years ago, I got a 12-pack of Miles Lubricants 5w-30 syn blend for really cheap, like $1.20/qt. I am on the last 3 bottles. Last week, a neighbor gave me an unopened 3-year-old 5-qt container of Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 Synthetic Blend. He got it by mistake. He wanted synthetic.

I have 5qt each of Mobil 1 synthetic and Penn Plat. Both 5w-30 weights.

Before he gave me Castrol, I was planning to mix 2qt of Miles syn blend and a quart of Mobil. Planning Penn Plat in Forester that takes 5qts.

So how would you blend these oils? One quart of each for the next 3 years? Sentra gets a yearly oil change.

(P.S. - I know I am overthinking. I just want to make sure this the best strategy.)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The purpose and what do you expect in reality its going to gain you?

There is magic in the mixing.

I would use the oldest stock first and blend as little as possible.

I don't think you would have a problem if you did blend.

Originally Posted by CT8

In my garage that magic is called getting rid of excess top off oil that didn't make it in the mower.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

3 years ago, I got a 12-pack of Miles Lubricants 5w-30 syn blend for really cheap, like $1.20/qt. I am on the last 3 bottles. Last week, a neighbor gave me an unopened 3-year-old 5-qt container of Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 Synthetic Blend. He got it by mistake. He wanted synthetic.

Before he gave me Castrol, I was planning to mix 2qt of Miles syn blend and a quart of Mobil. Planning Penn Plat in Forester that takes 5qts.

So how would you blend these oils? One quart of each for the next 3 years? Sentra gets a yearly oil change.

(P.S. - I know I am overthinking. I just want to make sure this the best strategy.)

Sentra Takes 3 qts- Use the 3qts of Miles Lubricants.

Forester takes 5 qts- Use the 5qts of GTX, Mobil, and Penn Plat 3 different oil changes.

No blending needed.

If you dont like any of the oils give them away or do oil changes in familys cars... no need to overthink it.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Sentra Takes 3 qts- Use the 3qts of Miles Lubricants.

Forester takes 5 qts- Use the 5qts of GTX, Mobil, and Penn Plat 3 different oil changes.

No blending needed.

If you dont like any of the oils give them away or do oil changes in familys cars... no need to overthink it.

That was tough to figure out, wasn't it.

Well, there are folks here who feel the need to make their own concoction of engine oil because they know better than the automakers and oil producers....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Well, there are folks here who feel the need to make their own concoction of engine oil because they know better than the automakers and oil producers....

I've been mixing oils for about 25 years now. But not for the reasons you cited above.

This vehicle has been neglected a lot in the past. Since I started doing oil changes 3 years ago, it 'feels' like it is driving better. I also got a lot of maintenance done. Last month, the mechanic pulled a valve cover and mentioned that there is a little sludge. I don't want to clean the sludge aggressively, thinking maybe that will end up with more troubles (leaking?) The First idea was just to mix it with Mobil 1 so that it starts cleaning. After I got HM oil, I thought maybe I could mix these three to cover all the bases. I am not an expert like a few others here so I thought better ask if it makes sense.

These are my first 2 cars so still a novice when it comes to car experiences. I didn't want to belabor in the OP, hence didn't mention. That said, I definitely didn't expert such jerk reactions. It is a very helpful forum. I learned a lot, still learning new things every day but such reactions do not make it a friendly place to ask a question to learn. You genuinely ask a question but most reactions call you stupid.

Only takes three quarts?
I'd change that oil every 2k, until the time the dipstick remains clear for several hundred miles. I would also add an appropriate amount of Rislone to the oil, to slowly speed-up the cleaning process.

I would also shop for the largest fitting oil filter possible. Most-all of the Japanese filters in 2006-era, were small / infant-sized.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Only takes three quarts?
I'd change that oil every 2k, until the time the dipstick remains clear for several hundred miles. I would also add an appropriate amount of Rislone to the oil, to slowly speed-up the cleaning process.

I would also shop for the largest fitting oil filter possible. Most-all of the Japanese filters in 2006-era, were small / infant-sized.

Thank you.

Sentra
OCI #1 - 3 Qt Miles
OCI #2 - 3 Qt GTX-HM
OCI #3 - 2 Qt GTX-HM + Whatever comes along or SuperTech if all else fails.

Forester
OCI #1 PP
OCI #2 M1

Last edited:

Yep.

Originally Posted by CT8

In my garage that magic is called getting rid of excess top off oil that didn't make it in the mower.
That indeed is magic. My ope recieves the exact same magic. sometimes a even blend.

Back