Best ATF for 11 Tundra

I'm going to exchange the ATF in my 11 Tundra. No pan drop as I'm in the rust belt and fear that I may snap off
a trans pan bolt.
I've considered OEM WS/Idemitsu TLS-LV/Valvoline Max Life.
Look forward to any responses.
Thanks in advance.

Main contenders will be WS of your flavor Maxlife and amsoil fuel efficient atf. Chances are nothing adverse will happen with any and the price of Maxlife is uncanny. But if your peace of mind is at stake just rock with a WS, I believe aisin makes a full synthetic version.

I'm not familiar with the Toyota transmission but it's always good to open it up and see how the insides look. Plus change the internal filter (25 bucks). I've never heard of breaking trans pan bolts due to corrosion (but I'm guessing somebody will tell me about it). If there are any pan bolts that aren't threaded into blind holes, then spray some PB or Kroil on the exposed threads a day before your work.

Amsoil SS trans fluid is all u need for that truck . After that you leave it in there until you sell the truck

How many miles on your '11 Tundra?

I understand your concern regarding rusted hardware.
The pan removals I've done (all rust belt vehicles) had no hardware problems at all.
But, the times I've replaced a transmission filter there was never anything in the filter.
HOWEVER, I did get to inspect and KNOW there was nothing in the pan. PLUS I got to clean the mud and catfish from the pan itself.
PLUS any pick-up tube O-rings got replaced. I've read they do age, crack and can allow air to be sucked into the system.

At least wire brush and inspect and add penetrant. The only bad bolts I've ever seen were odd cheapies used to install the two catches on my current Volvo's radiator support. They literally crumbled. If any such cheap hardware was used yes, you'd have trouble but the likelihood of that is
remote.

Maxlife has a fan base here. If you're hesitant, use WS and change it every 40k miles or so.

Some users reported improvement going from WS to MaxLife.
Some reported improvements of going from MaxLife to WS.
Some reported improvements when going with Amsoil SS.
I'd say the best one from these is the one that gets changed in timely manner. I used MaxLife in every T-IV transmission until now (~10 Toyota/Lexus vehicles) and plan to use MaxLife in all WS applications, unless my highly calibrated butt-dyno suspects an issue.
Drain & Fill is plenty. 30K is a good OCI for any ATF in daily drivers. 15K is a good ATF OCI for overworked transmissions, and bigger ATF cooler isn't a bad idea either.

I use the Idemitsu WS equivalent in our 2013 GS. About $40 for a 5 quart jug on Amazon.
I use MaxLife in my 2001 Tundra.

Good on you for servicing that "lifetime fluid" in your truck.

Some users reported improvement going from WS to MaxLife.
Some reported improvements of going from MaxLife to WS.
Some reported improvements when going with Amsoil SS.
I'd say the best one from these is the one that gets changed in timely manner. I used MaxLife in every T-IV transmission until now (~10 Toyota/Lexus vehicles) and plan to use MaxLife in all WS applications, unless my highly calibrated butt-dyno suspects an issue.
Drain & Fill is plenty. 30K is a good OCI for any ATF in daily drivers. 15K is a good ATF OCI for overworked transmissions, and bigger ATF cooler isn't a bad idea either.
Any issues with mixing any of the fluids as when doing a drain and fill?
Thanks

Thanks
I've done drain and fills with Maxlife ATF with no issue in our 11 Camry.
The 4runner I've done 2 drain and fills with toyota ws.

Not Toyota related but in my E150 van I've mixed Mercon V, Maxlife, Mobil 1 ATF and lubeguard red over the years and shifts fine with almost 270k miles.

Thanks
I had no issues. Many other's here had no issues either. Fluids are compatible. Amsoil SS is considered the best, but it's also much higher price. Toyota WS doesn't seem to edge out MaxLife in performance. So aside from packaging and Toyota logo, I don't know what's so special about it. General consensus is that MaxLife actually performs better in WS applications than it does in T-IV applications. Many relate it to MaxLife having same viscosity characteristics as WS, while T-IV is slightly more viscous. In the long run WS and MaxLife hold their viscosity better than T-IV.
Maxlife $17.87 per gallon. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...VhtrICh3pEg6TEAQYAiABEgKDDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Toyota WS $51.11 per gallon https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyo...ocphy=9009936&hvtargid=pla-525199342009&psc=1
Amsoil SS $66.59 per gallon https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-...tomatic-transmission-fluid-atf/?code=ATF1G-EA

I did a complete fluid change on the 11 Tundra (104k) using the trans cooling lines.
Disconnect the ATF cooling line at the rad and used a 1/2" plastic hose to a oil drain pan.
Fed a 3/8" hose to ATF fill plug (24mm) on side of trans. Used a paper clip to hold the ATF cooler actuator
open to insure complete system flush. Remove 14mm drain plug and loosen 5mm hex check plug. Both on
bottom of trans. Drained the trans pan (+/- 3qts). Drain plug in add 3 qts. Start engine and shift thru gears until
+/- 3 qts in drain pan. Rinse repeat 4x. (12.3 qts capacity). Drain and fill 1 more time. Reattach ATF cooling lines at cooler.
Used a paper clip to connect terminal 4 and 13 on the OBD port. Start engine. Shift from neutral to drive several times until the "D" Drive indicator
stays illuminated for 5 seconds and then goes off. (all sorts of dash lights blinking during this stage). Let idle until
the "D" stays lit. This indicates the trans temp is between 113-133 degrees F. Open 5mm hex plug and let
fluid drain to a trickle. Install check plug. Remove paper clip at ATF cooler actuator.
I did this in my garage. I have a shop that would have made it much easier but we're open 7 days.
Only drove for 5 or so miles to get to operating temp. Seems to shift smoothly and a much milder shift from 5-6.
(Perhaps TC locking?). The OEM WS fluid was slightly darkened but certainly seemed healthy. I tow a bit. Boat/PWCs/ATV.
The pic is the final drain of fluid. Nice and clean.
Had to improvise a ground strap I broke while paper clipping the actuator.
I used 4 Gals of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. $72.00
Purchased OEM gaskets for the Trans/Transfer case/Front/Rear diffs at Toyota $35.00 for 8 washers(***?).
I have decided to keep the old Tundra although I am enamored by the new 22 Hybrid Tundra.
Have ordered 3 gals of Toyota Super Long Life A/freeze for a drain and fill.
Replaced the plugs yesterday. (Denso SK20HR11) $8.00 ea. after discount. Oil in 2 of the tubes will require a valve cover gasket
set. Not so EZ.
Did the 3M headlight restoration which turned out real well.
Valvoline Syn gear oil on the way for diffs.
Love my Tundra. A bit less with current fuel costs.
NEW VML.jpg
HEADLITES.jpg

That's how I did the fluid flush on my 2016 Tundra. I used AMSOIL SS ATF, but the point is to flush and get it all at once. Once you figure out how the two drain plugs work, it's super-simple to set the fluid level.

I would recommend a fluid pump for adding fluid. It's a pain, and being able to insert a hose in the side of the transmission and add fluid that way is far easier than using a funnel.

I did the front and rear diffs and transfer case over the weekend.
Valvoline Syn 75w90 in all 3. Owners manual calls for 75w85 in the diffs/75w90 in the Transfer case.
The oils had 105k on them and were a bit darker than the new.
Oddly, the magnet on the front diff had a slightly more debris on it than the rear.
Certainly not enough to be concerned with. Glad I bought the new washers ($35? ***)
I immediately felt a smoother ride, better gas mileage and more horsepower :LOL:!
Just received my OEM Toyota Super long life A/Freeze and will do a drain and fill soon.
I'm liking the Valvoline MaxLife ATF. The trans seems to shift a bit smoother than before.
It may be the placebo effect.

What method are you planning on using for a fluid exchange?

Many ATFs have been suggested. All probably will do the transmission fine. I use Amsoil ATF in any vehicle when I get to servicing the ATF. But that's just my view. It's one of the best I believe.

So it were my car and I thought the transmission pan bolts would be an issue at some point I might spray some PB Blaster on them and give each one a tug to see if you can loosen them. Then if you really need to drop the pan you deal with the transmission issue and not compound the problem with snapped bolts. Maybe even pull each bolt one by one, grease or neverseize and put it back.

Some people pull their boat outdrive not to do any real main rather just to get it off and back on. Same situation with the transmission pan bolts.

Back