Best and Worst

I recently saw an oil filter comparison on YouTube. I was going to post a link, but I see there are dozens of them, so look for yourself. Basically it concluded that Wix was the best and Fram the worst. I'm talking about regular filters, not fancy premium ones. That conclusion agrees with what I've heard over the years and I remember seeing bad reports about Fram for decades. Personally I stick with AC Delco (supposedly made by Wix) or Wix brand, when I can get them, but have used Fram when that's all the store had, with no adverse effects as far as I could tell. Opinions? Experiences?

It would appear you haven't been perusing this site for quite some time. There is much more current information available.
There is a lot of misinformation on YouTube, lots of it is click bait to get views. WIX is Ok, but I wouldn't really say they are the "best" for any reason.
I agree in both cases.

Whats the over and under for this lasting 5 pages before it gets locked?

FWIW - before one can talk best, on must first define best (and worst for that matter).

What application are we talking about?

YouTube is a massive sewer of “information” when it pertains to anything technical. The level of crap being peddled by individuals that have no clue of basic scientific method or data analysis is stupefying. Then they post it as if it is definitive fact.

This is the explanation for half of the videos on there, the other half are outright fabrications intended to promote some personal agenda or grudge.

Cutting open a filter does not tell how well it filters unless you happen to find a hole in that filter. Nothing wrong with fiber ( often called cardboard) ends either.

The only way to test a filter is with specialized equipment and contaminant sizes.

My daily is a 2005 Magnum SXT and my "good" car is a 1985 IROC-Z. I run Mobil 1 0W30 Synthetic in both. I use regular standard oil filters, nothing premium or fancy.

Yes, I do realize YouTube is full of "influencers" rather than experts, which is why I'm asking here.

Any name brand filter changed along with the oil at the required interval, will work just fine. For longevity of the engine, the air filter is actually more important than the oil filter... I just don't want anyone getting hung up on oil filters being the end all-be all for engine protection.

I just don't want anyone getting hung up on oil filters being the end all-be all for engine protection.
BITOG better remove the Oil Filter forum then. 😄 Plenty of info that says keeping the oil cleaner results in less wear. I'm still waiting for the studies that show otherwise. ;)

"Best" in what application? Pretty ambiguous. Is it best with a 3k OCI? a 5k? 10k? So many variables and different vehicles are harder on oil/filter combos than others. Parameters of how they determined this are important and relevant.

All of the YouTube videos about oil filters I've watched disagree on best and worst. One video's best is another video's worst. For some videos I wonder about payment and sponsorship. Also consider the site. Lots of people don't like YouTube itself for lots of reasons.

One thing we've commented about here is that overall quality has noticeably declined on many brands of oil filter, including the premium and expensive ones. That makes me wonder if there really is a consistently "best" or even "excellent" brand any more.

Pick an oil filter for your vehicle and run it. Why people worry about having the absolute best is beyond me,more important things in the world to be concerned about.

Wix filters were great but there was a recent post here, and it looks like Mann-Hummel has began unifying the production lines of Wix and Purolator, and someone got a Wix that appeared to be made to Purolator standards, there was left over machining crud in the threads and really bad burrs on the inside of the inlet holes on the tapping plate. Looks like Fram and Champ are about the most consistent for quality now.

Wix filters were great but there was a recent post here, and it looks like Mann-Hummel has began unifying the production lines of Wix and Purolator, and someone got a Wix that appeared to be made to Purolator standards, there was left over machining crud in the threads and really bad burrs on the inside of the inlet holes on the tapping plate. Looks like Fram and Champ are about the most consistent for quality now.
I saw that. When I had my Volvo and followed https://www.brickboard.com/ everyone raved about Mann filters. Supposed to be really good.

Folks were complaining about the Fram "Orange Can Of Death", for years, not because they were that bad, but
some were concerned about the "cardboard" (actually fiber) ends on the filter media. Much of it was 'piling on'.
Considering that Fram sold many millions of those orange filters with few actual serious problems seems to decry
those smears.
Of late, Purolator had been having it's problems with tears and burrs in the threads.
Of course, Purolator has sold millions of those white filters (and the ones they paint yellow, etc. for others) as well.
Now, the move to cartridge filters gets you 'fiber' ends anyway.
Buy what you want and examine closely before installing and you should be just fine.

My 2¢

I always thought Fram was overpriced but would not expect to see a catastrophic failure with one. So quite a few years ago when it was real popular to bash Fram, someone posted a picture of a "failed" Fram filter. My opinion was the failure was caused by a 9mm bullet.

Back