Best and Worst SET of tires you've ever put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best : Michelin Defender & Yokohama Avid Touring S. Long lasting, comfortable, quiet. My car is currently on Defenders and my wife's van will get the Yokos due to past experience with her previous car. Our van has Michelin Primacys which were already on it when we bought it used in 2011. They are not worn out, but they turn 10 years old next year and they have a lot of small cracks on the sides. This is their last season.

Worst : General Altimax *can't remember the exact name*, really noisy & Michelin MX4, OE tires on my car when new. Quiet, comfortable, but slippery and wore out FAST.

On my oldest car, I wanted to test the cheapest of the cheap, so I went with Jinyu YH11 (pure Chinese product). They wear out very fast and there was not much thread to begin with (260).

Best - Continental DWS, Toyo Proxes 4, and General RT43

Worst - Bridgestone Potenza - Was OEM on Scion TC. Horrible in wet and snow

Best:
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Vredestein Quatrac 5

Worst:
Michelin TRX
Goodyear Eagle GT +4

Originally Posted By: supton
So far, worst has been Michelin anything (Energy, Primacy and LTX). Short life, high price, and IMO poor performance in snow (although great in rain). [Although Nokian i3 were downright scary in wet, was glad to be done with them; WR's wore fast and got noisy at the end so they weren't great either.]

General RT43's have been a good middle of the road if not downright great, when everything is factored in.

Best? I think Nokian entyres might have been best, for me.

I've had similar experience w/Michelins. Best snows were Cooper Weathermaster.

Worst:
Falken Ziex 326
These were deathtraps in the wet.

Best:
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Pirelli Cinturato P7

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Best Bfg all terrains... worst were the stock goodyear whatever they were on my jeep.

I was getting ready to name those as the worst tires I ever owned then I saw your post.

Worst:
Goodyear Wrangler's. They road like [censored] and caused the jeep to track all over the road. You had to constantly correct the steering and started forming a death grip. I planned on running them until they wore out but couldn't stand it and yanked them off at 5K.

Best:
BFG KO2's that replaced them. Was like a totally different jeep. . It runs down the road smooth and strait with one finger on the steering wheel. And they actually work good in snow and on the offroad terrain we have here in new england. I have owned batter highway tires. And better off road tires and run studded snows before. But the KO2's win for being "decent" at everything.

Best: Any tire within its first year or first 10K miles or so being used in an application its tread pattern and rubber compound are good for.

Worst: Any tire after ~4-5+years. Any tire getting low on tread depth. Any tire being used in an application it isn't optimized for.

----------------

I've had some cheap tires, some expensive tires, some in-between. Every tire has been a compromise in some way or another. The cheapest ones don't last as long. The aggressive ones get noisy as they age. The performance of all of them degrades as they age, and a new replacement of any quality/cost will be better than what just came off simply because the rubber is young and the voids are deeper.

This creates a problem for comparing tires, as every new tire, is typically way better than the tire it is replacing at the time it is being replaced regardless of what it is and what it is replacing.

Bridgestone Porenza Serenity Plus makes my M6 like a boat on the wavy sea...

on the other hand, my previous Michelin Primacy MXV set fitted and perform like hand in glove

Originally Posted By: Cardiobuck
Best
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for winter use.

Worst
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred --threw them away with 1/2 of the tread left.

Why did you chunk the GY's ?

Best: had a set of "Duralons' that made 90K. Had Good luck with Cooper CS3 and Cooper CS5. Also Pirelli have worked out well for me. Just put new Pirelli P4 on the Forester yesterday from Sam's club.

Worst: a set of Dorals that wore out at about 30K, and had a set of Goodyear weatherhandler that were a great tire but they were difficult to to keep balanced.
Living in Lincoln NE I run General Altimax winter tires which have been a solid winter tire, though the last 2 winters I probably could have gotten by with a regular all season. I always change to winters anyway every November and run them till mid April or early May. When the blizzard is moving in is not the time to wish you had snow tires on.

Best

General HP, only problem with these is their unidirectional, they can only roll one direction.
Rotation must be from front to back, and vice versa...
Quiet, smooth...
Replaced by the RT43...

Hercules Road Tour 4.0
One specific side must remain out, due to tread patten...

Bad
Goodyear Vector,
Rough, tread got uneven after 5,000 miles...

Goodyear A something or another...(mid 80’s)
Wore out in 7,500 miles, completely bald, cord showing...

Last edited:
Best- conti pure contact on a Ford Fusion that replaced Goodyear triple treads that kept breaking belts, the worst tire ever. The factory good year green tires were smoked at 16,000.

Best: Cooper CS3 Touring followed by Goodyear Eagle Sport

Worst: General Altimax RT43 followed by Firestone Wilderness HT

Still running Cooper C3 on our 2009 Sonata and C5 on Tuscon, hardly any wear on them. Of course I switch over to Altimax snow tires from Nov to April so that does help with tire life. I still have the snow tires on our Tuscon, I need to get them swapped for the C5.

I was considering Gen RT43 for our Forester, but went with Pirelli P4 . I have had good luck with Pirelli in the past. Tirerack gives P4 poor reviewsfor wet driving while Consumer reports rates them ok for wet surface. I have no problem with driving in heavy rain with Pirelli in the past. What was it about Gen RT43 that you didn't like? THe only reason I went with Pirelli over the RT43 wsasthat Sam's had Pirelli in stock and I did not have the luxury of waiting and the Pirellis were about 3-4 $ more per tire.Had RT43 been in stock I probably would have went with them. No regrets with Pirellis so far. My first Pirelli tire in about 15 yrs

Best: Sumitomo all seasons, top of the line model. Don't remember the exact model, but they are a whole lot better than Michelin Defender I had before, at half the cost.

Worst: Kumho Sense. Brand new to slicks in 14k miles. Unnacceptable. We're noisy and poor wet weather performance.

All tires listed were on 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Sumitomo are on there now: Quiet, smooth, still look brand new after 15k miles, and perform amazing in all weather conditions. Ice/snow/rain/extreme heat, and Sumitomos never missed a beat.

Worst: Goodyear Invicta (OEM, not Integrity). Flintstone quality ride and traction, fuel efficient but not cheap.

Best: I am a cheap skate so I've only had good enough so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back