Best and Worst SET of tires you've ever put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I probably changed 40 sets of winter tires, and know expectations.
AGAIN, by far the worst winter tire. Not because it could not go thru deep snow (this shows your lack of understanding of what is winter tire, which does not stop you to lecture left and right).
W300 were OK in deep snow (not that Nokian outside of deep snow is spectacular tire, especially on dry pavement), but were horrid in packed snow, ice and especially wet conditions, which you can find in Germany, Russia or Alaska.
But, it is OK< we figured out you know skis, not so sure about tires.

Since you start insulting, it means intelligent discussion is over.

Wait, your claim about W300 being Central European tire and comparing to Nokian, without knowing what was an issue, was intelligent discussion? On top of that making remark about skis, which was clearly joke?

Last edited:
Not sure about best set, but the worst set I ever put on a car were Pirelli rag radials. This was in the early 70s on a Datsun 2000 that I frequently (at that time) drove at speeds in the triple digits. I had no knowledge of speed ratings, but did know the salesman told me the tires were balanced to 150 MPH, so I figured I was safe at the speeds I drove, generally under 135 mph. I also didn't realize the tires used an inner tube, or didn't realize the implications of that fact.

Never had a blowout, but after I wore the tires out and replaced them at a much better tire shop, the owner grabbed me in the waiting room and brought me back to see the tires and tubes being removed. The inner tubes were melted and fused with the rims. I have no idea how they still held air. One more reason to thank my highly overworked guardian angels.

Worst? Whatever came stock on the Saturd. Driving in rain? Drive like there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Driving in snow? Bwahahaha!

Best? The Pirellis that were on the Bug when I got it. Awesome traction in any conditions and they lasted for freakin' ever.

I think what I can see and take from this thread mainly is this: a specific tire can work well on one car or truck and be terrible on another. I've seen this personally as well. I think a lot of it has to do with application, type of driving, maintenance of the car and it's brake and suspension systems, maintenance of the tires, and type of drive-train (RWD, FWD, AWD, etc.)

BEST: Michelins (many different models all perfect)

Worst: Goodyears in general all are horrible but the anything in the 19.5" "G" series is truly laughable

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Best
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
Budget tire: Hancook Ventus V4

Worse
Riken Raptors

What did you not like about the Raptors?

Ironically, the worst tires ever on one car, turned out to be there best ever on another car. I had such bad luck with continental extreme contact DWs on my G35 that I swore I would never buy another continental. They had the same tire at a reasonable price in a 275/45/20 for my SUV. I tried every other option before finally giving in and getting the DWs, best tire ever. Smooth, sticky and long life.

On the G, they understeered, pushed and wore the sidewalls off with aggressive driving. On the FX, they work great!

Best: Bridgestone potenza re71r. Amazing tires and very easy to find the limit and keep it there. An excellent learning tire. More forgiving than the Michelin options at the limit and survive heat cycles better.

Worst: Falken 512. Just junk in every scenario.

Best All Season: Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on a 2016 Nissan Rogue. Quiet, great stability in corners. Great dry traction and good wet. Have not used them in snow. I use winter tires
Best Winter: Eternity Winter Warrior. Yes, a Chinese Michelin subsidiary but these things cut through snow, hard pack, ice and slush like no tomorrow.

Worst all season: Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 that came with the Rogue. Worn out at 56000 km despite rotation crosswise every 8000 km and very noisy. Poor grip on wet roads.
Worst winter: Firestone Winterforce. Excellent in fresh snow but horrible on slush, ice and hard packed snow

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The worst were Kumho Ecsta. The tread separated on them.

Yup. I had a structural failure on a Kumho Ecsta ASX. The only time I've ever had that issue with a set of tires. It has really soured me on the brand.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Ironically, the worst tires ever on one car, turned out to be there best ever on another car. I had such bad luck with continental extreme contact DWs on my G35 that I swore I would never buy another continental. They had the same tire at a reasonable price in a 275/45/20 for my SUV. I tried every other option before finally giving in and getting the DWs, best tire ever. Smooth, sticky and long life.

On the G, they understeered, pushed and wore the sidewalls off with aggressive driving. On the FX, they work great!

DW or DWS? I am having hard time telling which ones you are writing about.

Krzys

Best: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo (the original ones, now discontinued)
Good: Cooper Discoverer SRX, Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Michelin X-Ice Xi3.
Bad: Toyo Open Country A/T, Yokohama Advan A83A
Worst: Fuzion XTi, Uniroyal Tiger Paw (circa 1994).

Worst: Firestone 721 tires on a 1978 Pontiac Catalina -worn out in under 18,000 miles. Belts were showing through, bulges on sidewalls, poor wet traction, no snow traction, vibration. Came on the car from the factory.

Best: Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP on a 1987 Chevy Cavalier - went 70,000+ miles with no punctures, no vibration, good wet-dry, -snow traction, quiet ride.

Best
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for winter use.

Worst
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred --threw them away with 1/2 of the tread left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back