Best ammo size for close quarter residential ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The buckshot is very difficult for a surgeon to remove. I want to shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet that will stay in his leg. I just want to immobilize the person and not cause any fatal injuries. Can we forget about the shotgun ?

I train center mass and empty your magazine in him. While your "aiming" under a high stress fast moving target ....that target will close the gap between you and him in a fraction of a second and he probably will not be looking to "injure" you.
You need to be looking at pepper spray/tasers or other non lethal home defense weapons if your mindset is to injure and not kill to end a threat.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I agree 100%. and I bet every hand gun ammo will go through walls and such.

But will they go through a wall after going through a body ?

What if I miss the body, will the bullet stop somewhere in my house before going into the house next door ?

I suggest you look at http://www.theboxotruth.com/ But yes, almost any bullet will go through 2 layers of dry wall, 2 layers of plywood/flake-board, and 2 layers of vinyl/aluminum siding.

The buckshot is very difficult for a surgeon to remove. I want to shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet that will stay in his leg. I just want to immobilize the person and not cause any fatal injuries. Can we forget about the shotgun ?
Your cell phone is all you need.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Or rock salt in the first one as a warning.
laugh.gif

A warning for what?

2nd dumbest thing in this thread.

OP, get a Taser.

Quote:
I want to shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet that will stay in his leg. I just want to immobilize the person and not cause any fatal injuries.

A taser, and a Bowie knife.

IMO, using a gun on someone in home self defense, I see no reason the the intruder should live, why give him the opportunity to testify against you in court?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

If you're intending to shoot people in the leg, then you have no business with a firearm in your hand.

Educate yourself on the use of lethal force before you consider caliber or ammo.

Seriously.

^^^^I agree!!!! If someone is in your home & you feel your life or loved ones life's are in danger.....Shoot to KILL. Trying too hit someone in the leg while tons of adrenaline is rushing through you is not the most wise home defense tactic.

What to use for close quarter home defense is a personal preference, I have a S&W .40 caliber with hollow points & a Remington 870 12 gauge pump with buck shot. My home is small & crowded....So I would use the hand gun.

Yes please listen to the people that have said it......do not plan to shoot someone in the leg....multiple reasons this is a terrible idea....1 they can still come at you....a shot to the leg to someone on meth or pcp is not going to stop them unless you have blow their leg off. 2 they will live to possibly sue you if you are still alive....with leaving them alive you have left it to a your word vs their word situation. If you are not willing to shoot to kill do not even get a gun. Get a dog and hang a home security sign and maybe get a baseball bat and a whistle or something. Or just be willing to shoot to kill and get a 12 gauge shot gun....now if you want a hand gun.....almost no hand gun with good self defensive rounds in it are going to go through a human and then through your wall and hit someone else.......very very very low odds. Have you shot anything before? I prefer 9mm and larger for threats.....but if you really do not want to kill and you still want a hand gun how about a 22? It can still kill so dont be fooled but it is a weaker round.

people are responding quick.....I like the suggestion for a taser or pepper spray....I just was not even thinking of that for you.

Last edited:
No you want to shoot center of mass. If you need to stop the threat a shot in the leg will not work! You have been watching too much Hollywood. You are talking about a serious issue. It is not an issue to be discussed on a web site where the truth and the fiction are indistinguishable unless you already know the truth. Take a CCW class that will teach you the very basics and important laws and they are lots of fun. read and study then study and read. Buck shot is as easy to remove and anything else.

You will find that anything that will effectively incapacitate a bad buy will go through walls if you miss. Why? Physics.

Those saying to use birdshot....are misquided. The former vice president shot an octogenarian in the face with a shotgun utilizing bird shot and did not put him down. It creates flesh wounds only. Rock salt is equally worthless.

Do not shoot to wound. Every respected self defense expert will tell you that if you pull a gun and fire it...you shoot to neutralize the target and that means center mass shots with an effective round.

Handguns are not the best choice, especially for the novice. Why? Your biology works against you and it takes quite a bit of experience and/or training to shoot accurately under the physical and mental stress of self defense. Yes, you have a compact and easy to maneuver weapon, but that is it. Look at some reports of police shootings at close range...you will see just how many shots are fired versus find the target. And the average cop has more training than the average gun owner. Not to mention that some handguns rounds will go through more walls than some rifle rounds suck as the 223.

So what do you use? Well a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with buckshot is good if you are used to shooting them, especially pumps. People tend to short stroke a pump under stress, that is the big problem. You could use a pistol caliber carbine like a Kel Tec Sub 2000 which will take Glock mags or you could just get something like an AR in 223. The small caliber high velocity nature of the 223 round make it penetrate walls less than many handgun rounds, but it has 4x the kinetic energy of many 9mm loads. If you do use a handgun round, make sure it uses a good JHP bullet so that if you hit the target, you won't over penetrate. If you miss...its going through multiple walls thanks to stuff worked out by Sir Isaac Newton.

Shoot what you feel you can handle in stressful situations, and train like the devil with it so you can commit it to muscle memory.

Originally Posted By: hatt

When you only have seconds to protect yourself, the Police are only minutes away . . .

This thread is making my head hurt. Get some training from a good source. Do some research (there are plenty of verified sources), because some of the advise coming out of this is terrible to put it politely.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

When you only have seconds to protect yourself, the Police are only minutes away . . .

A cell phone will allow you to tell the authorities where to pick up your corpse.

Last edited:
It's nice to worry about your stray bullets hitting your neighbors but you need to worry about your immediate threat first. You need to put your immediate threat down. .45ACP is a bigger slower bullet. That's what I choose to use. Shooting a gun in your house is not going to be fun. It would be a nightmare. You do what you have to do.

If you are in a have to shoot situation, forget shooting at the legs, maybe maybe with a shotgun. But with a single projectile weapon shoot center mass if you want to live.

These track houses we got here are only about 20 feet apart side by side if that. If a guy comes into my house and I shoot the guy, I don't want the bullet going through him and into my neighbor's house. What ammunition size would you guys recommend ?

You don't say what the exterior siding is? Do you have windows into all the bedrooms on the sides of the houses? Do you have substantial fences between the houses?

32 Auto. It'll will go through some stuff, but usually not multiple walls. It is not a favored ammo because it is sort of a sissy round. But having shot it for years, I'd say any solid hit will get their attention ...

Or 32 or 38 S&W (modern ammo for Black Powder relics). It is slow and not overly powerful. It's round nosed lead traveling at 750 fps or so. But at close range it is going to be lethal. As others have said - aim center mass and use it all, or don't pull it in the first place ...

Find out where your neighbors sleep and where there kids sleep. Try not to shoot that way. But if push comes to shove, just bury the rounds in the bad guy and they will not hurt the neighbors...

I have one close neighbor, and none on the other side. If I have to shoot, it'll generally be down a stairway (safe for them) or toward the kitchen (away from neighbor), so for me it's a cheap Tarus 357/38 revolver because I don't want to have to hand over the others afterwards ...

I will be applying 357 HP to the assailant ...

Last edited:
If you're talking about trying to shoot someone in the leg, you have no business with a firearm. People who train constantly couldn't handle that in a stressful situation. An amateur will be lucky to hit anything at all when it comes down to it.

Get some real training. A lot of it.

Or, get a dog with a good bark. Discouraging an intruder rather than shooting at one is less likely to end up with you in jail or a pine box.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

A cell phone will allow you to tell the authorities where to pick up your corpse.
Some people would rather die than defend themselves. No use giving the criminals an extra gun if the homeowner isn't willing to use it.

Troll post.

Move to a place where you don't have to be frightened by every shadow and you don't have to live in a neighborhood of tract houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back