Best Aftermarket radiator and where to buy it?

Thinking I should pre-emptively replace my 11 year old radiator. Plastic tanks and such make me think its time maybe in the next few monhts? In the past I wouldn't even think and order a Koyo from Amazon. But I don't want to buy from Amazon for parts anymore and they only sell Koyo through third parties now at least. I am concerned in ordering from RockAuto due to shipping problems and their lousy support when it arrives.

Napa has Reach and CSF. CSF seems to be really cheap everywhere else, never heard of reach $220 but I get coupons all the time.

Autozone has Duralast. - who knows who makes it, but it has a lifetime warranty - $219

O'Reilly has Murray Heat transfer - $247

Advance has Carquest Premium for $233. They also will do Koyo for about the same price - but then I am back to shipping only to home - direct from factory.

We have Parks Auto parts now - which is part of federated. I might stop in there sometime.

Anyone have suggestions?

Don't worry so much about the specific brand but do be concerned with the warranty and how it would be enforced or serviced by first the retailer and secondarily by the manufacturer. Any of the big box auto parts retailers should be able to tell you the specifics of how they represent and service the said brands that they sell. Thus knowing that will give you the comparison detail you are seeking to make an appropriate decision. Lastly make sure you get the warranty and replacement details in writing.

Why would you preemptively replace a car radiator?
Why? most radiators now days are partially plastic and are prone getting brittle and failing due to old age. Additionally on a vehicle that has a transmission cooler built into the radiator that is begging for disaster when that plastic chamber fails and sends coolant into the transmission costing you thousands for a rebuild.

Why? most radiators now days are partially plastic and are prone getting brittle and failing due to old age. Additionally on a vehicle that has a transmission cooler built into the radiator that is begging for disaster when that plastic chamber fails and sends coolant into the transmission costing you thousands for a rebuild.
If i had an auto, that would be my main worry as well.

I put an Autozone in an '01 Ranger for a guy. Turns out it was one of the bottom dollar units on RA....maybe CSF. I don't recall but I think I've still got the box so I'll look tomorrow if I remember

Fit was poor and the entire thing felt like a tinker toy.

It was literally double the price....IIRC RA was ~$125 + $30 shipping and AutoZone was $250. You're paying double as an insurance premium for their LT warranty.

yea ive noticed that most auto parts chains sell the cheapest stuff they can , stuff you can get online for half. I bought a new ND alternator for my daughters Toyota that was the spitting image of the one I replaced and it was 30% less than a reman from the auto parts store.

I'm not sure I'd worry about a radiator failure just because it's plastic . I've only had one failure myself where a crack caused a pinhole type leak .
Personally I've only ever experienced slow leaks at the side tank crimps.

In fact I'd wager most vehicles 10 years or older have a tiny leak here forming and no one knows. Usually by the time they become noticeable (ie actual DRIPS) you can see evidence of years of crusting and minor weepage.

I'm not necessarily advocating for plastic but based upon personal experience I'm not running around panicked.

If there's no leaks, overheating or any damage, I would leave it alone. That OEM radiator is better in quality than Chinese made replacements. I am still using the original one row radiator on my 87 F150.

Maybe it's case by case, and you should check a forum for your particular model....I bought an $80 radiator on amazon for a Nissan Maxima...almost hated to know the OE Calsonic was being replaced by seemingly what is not the same quality...well the $80 lasted well over 7 years before I'm junking the car.

On another car I have, there was extensive debate on whether an OE Toyota Denso, was the same as an Denso purchased on rock or amazon, because many failures took place among forum members on the rock/amazon part. Well, turns out, the amazon/rock is not OEM, it's aftermarket. After much argument, one forum member bought the OE, and bought the Denso, then showed on a thread they're not the same.

Seems people confuse mfgs where just because it's Denso, doesn't mean it's the same part when Denso does make OE for Toyota. N'ah mean? Like AC Delco makes OEM, they make OE, and they also make aftermarket. Just because it's AC Delco doesn't mean it's the same part that came with a GM car.

That's why it's good to see what others out there got, for the same car, and what experience they had....

Never really had a problem with Spectra, all of them bought from NAPA. I did have one that started leaking after almost 10 years, but NAPA warrantied it no problem. I think for common applications they are a good quality/price balance.

All radiators eventually fail but composite radiators are much better today than they were 20-30 yrs ago.

If Koyo is what you prefer and for whatever reason you don't like Amazon there has to be someplace else on earth to purchase one? Personally I don't believe a radiator is a preventative maintenance item.. There are several 20+ you vehicle in family fleet with original radiators and I'd trust them more than whatever you're going to get from aap..

Would also be helpful to know what make/model car we're talking about..

Back