Best aftermarket ignition coil brand for Nissan?

NGK quality has dropped off significantly since they moved a lot of their coil manufacturing to Korea from Japan. I have had 2 defects in the last 6 months. Pay a bit more and get OE from an online dealer.

Just used the website @brianl703 posted to check the country of origin of some NGK ignition coils I had ordered earlier in the year for my HR-V.

The ones I got were made in Japan. If the website is accurate, they're now made in China.

Mine are working great.

SMP Intermotor parts (distributor cap/rotor) I've ordered for my Nissan Frontier appear to be the same as the OE Hitachi and say Made in Japan on the box.

You can often find country of origin info on this site:

Some of the parts are not quite up to date, eg the NGK U2082 was made in Japan for years and on opticat still showed that when it was made in Korea, it has changed to China now. The WVE was Wells and is mostly China today with some Taiwan manufacture, it is NGK's budget line.

With current parts quality there is absolutely no way I would replace a working OE coil form 2014 - In fact to put it succinctly I thinks that's insane. it is ASKING for trouble with aftermarket junk.

Speaking of OEM vs aftermarket vs aftermarket-sold-by-the-OE, and this isn't an ignition coil, but here's the brake light switch I replaced (the Niles part on the right) next to the aftermarket (left). The aftermarket is actually O'Reilly "Import Direct" (???) line, made in Taiwan.

1670511072772.jpeg

The connector side looks different in the picture but that's just the angle. If they were different, it wouldn't fit the vehicle's connection. Why would the aftermarket have the same "PA..." number ? I've always thought that Niles (or whoever) sells the plastic injection mold once they're no longer producing a part but just like removing "NILES 4", removing the other number from the mold is easy.

Does the 2014 Pathfinder have ignition coil problems? Is coil failure common on these cars? :unsure:

If coil problems are common, then replace the back 3 with Hitachi. Otherwise, don't replace them.

Back