Best 5w-30 for a DI Turbo engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend picked up a new car and knows I read up on this site pretty much every day. I did a lot of searching but I am just looking to narrow down what I suggest, since he will pretty much follow my choice and stick with it.

Low NOACK is what many suggest, with that being said I would say PU 5w30 would be a easy pick but with how it's close to impossible to find, I will have to look at something else.

How about QSUD 5w30? PQIA lists a NOACK of 8.8 and it is easy and cheap to find on store shelves.

I was also considering looking at Castrol Edge with Titanium, since it ranks very high with the one rating on Amsoil's test for burn off, right?

Any input would be appreciated. No boutique oils... looking for something that he can grab locally.

The car is the Ford Fusion with the 2.0 ecoboost.

I would say low Noack + low SAPS, but you'd have to keep your OCIs somewhat shorter. And as such, M1 ESP 5w-30 would be a good pick.

Well one must also consider which oils hold the correct specifications for the engine for warranty purposes.

Ive been sticking with BMW LL-01 5w-30, but when warranty is up, may swap to RLI or PU... Amongst others.

The other question is if the Ford spec has any basis in it for DI at all?

I tend to agree that shopping for NOACK is a smart move, but it may not be the end-all, be all.

I would look for an engine oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 standards. Castrol Edge 5w30's do meet this standard. M1 5w30 ESP and M1 HM 5w30 meet this standard. The new PP 5w30 does as well.

ESP is a good idea. I was reading about that oil a little bit ago. Changes will probably be 5k or 6 months. Whatever comes first.

Originally Posted By: salv
I would look for an engine oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 standards. Castrol Edge 5w30's do meet this standard. M1 5w30 ESP and M1 HM 5w30 meet this standard.

M1 ESP 5w-30 does not meet ACEA A5/B5 because it has fairly high HT/HS viscosity. It meets ACEA C2, C3.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: salv
I would look for an engine oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 standards. Castrol Edge 5w30's do meet this standard. M1 5w30 ESP and M1 HM 5w30 meet this standard.

M1 ESP 5w-30 does not meet ACEA A5/B5 because it has fairly high HT/HS viscosity. It meets ACEA C2, C3.

My bad. It misses A5/B5 by a HTHS of .08, 3.58 vs a max of 3.5. Either way, it is a good choice for DI and turbo motors that call for longer drain intervals.

I'd look for an oil that meets the ford spec as I'm sure there is one.
And meeting the Honda turbo spec wouldn't hurt either.

Here's a link to AMSoil's test of competing 5w30's:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

For a DI turbo engine, the characteristics to concentrate on would be TEOST and NOACK. The oils that excelled in TEOST (
QSUD didn't do very well in TEOST.
Castrol Edge didn't do very well in NOACK.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only other almost-OTC oil there is PU, and it looks like it's losing its excellent NOACK when PUP comes out. If your friend wants the best available oil for his car, he should go on a search for PU on closeout and stock up. Or get over his aversion to boutique oils. At least one auto parts store in every town has AMSoil. And RP is available at many big-box stores.

RP might be the choice here because I see it in more stores than PU. This bothers me because I've not been a big fan of RP engine oils, having seen a few notable cases of them shearing out of grade.

Last edited:
Go with Mobil 1 because it is a fine oil, readily available, and not terribly expensive at Wally World. And it has been produced for many years. It will serve that vehicle well.

I can get a jug of QSUD for $21 at walmart. One of the cheaper jugs of synthetic at Walmart these days. But this is a newly packaged jug (Feb, 2014) with the dexos approval. I am guessing this formula changed also with the PP? Or maybe not?

Last edited:
I think if people cared about what the OEM recommend they wouldn't be here. BITOG are a special breed of super anal OCD riddled freaks. We want the best for our motors. The OEM just specs a affordable readily available oil for the herds!

Do you think they honestly do any research on what they spec? They spec it to whoever gives them the best deal on factory fills as long as its a somewhat large refinery. Sometimes they even PAY to get there oil in the cars.

QSUD is what I'm using now, it's a solid choice for a turbo DI engine. It meets Honda turbo spec and is dexos approved as you mentioned.

However our engines like to shear oil, I'll try Castrol Edge in the future since their 5W-30 is on the thicker side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back