best 0W20

Originally Posted By: 0w20something
I just went by a Honda dealership here in south Houston. They want $8.90 per quart for the Honda 0W20 Full Synthetic. I then stopped by a Toyota dealership And got a case of quarts for $75.00 plus tax. Great price I think for such a high grade 0W20. I am sticking with Amsoil filters for now.

At over $6 a quart you could stay with Amsoil. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Bullseye!!

The worst of the worst!

Puts a target on your engine block...

At that price I could have gotten 6 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series shipped to my house and Amsoil Signature Series is no doubt a much better oil that can go way longer than Toyota oil! Just sayin!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

If he's running M1 EP 0w-20 he's using a "true synthetic" (going by the German definition) because it is 70% PAO.
Show me.

Sure:

M1EP0w2001.jpg

M1EP0w2002.jpg

The AFE 0w-20 is 30-40% PAO in comparison.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
I've been using Mobil 1 0W20 advanced fuel economy in 3 engines and in three different vehicles. 2009 Camry 4 cyl., 2012 Highlander V6 and a 2014 Honda Accord 4 cyl. The oil has made all three engines quiter compared to other oils I've ran and the gas mileage has improved. Like others have said choosing between the mentioned oils is like splitting hairs but that's what this forum is for.

Mobil 1 AFE is a favorite of mine as well. Will easily do 10K, but I'm sure there are other 0w20's will do the job as well.

TGMO would be fine.
There are a bunch of 0W-20s on the shelf at Walmart at very nice prices, though, and any one of those oils would be fine as well.
I'll be putting TGMO in our '12 Accord 2.4 next month.
We'll see whether there's any discernable difference from the HGMO we've had in it for the past couple of OCIs.
I doubt that there will be.
While I did want to try TGMO, I'll be using it mainly because I got it off CL for less than four bucks a quart.
You don't live in a place that sees real cold, unlike us poor folks in OH, so I'm not sure how much it matters what you decide to use.
Your use is also anything but severe.
That K24 isn't even turning 3K at 90 mph on the highway and highway driving is easy on every part of the car.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
You don't need or want a 0wXx in Texas.
I'll give you the OK to run 5w20 with a 1/2 Qt of Dual Rated fleet HDEO 10w30 thrown in for good benefit
smile.gif

**cough**, **cough**...bovine scatology! I assume this is a reference to the heat in Texas? My FX4 has not found a problem with switching to a 0W-20 diet in Texas, Montana, Wyoming, or New Mexico in the blistering heat...
Just goes to show that facts and data don't get into arco's way when telling a good story

Go ahead and use your false, bargain priced, non-synthetic 0w20 with tons of varnish causing vii and poor additisation. And Yes it fails (at minimum 1 of 2) TEOST and is given a waiver for CAFE reasons. You see how well this stuff works in a highly stressed engines, ne: my cars. 5w20 is a nice multigrade as it DOESNT require a high % of vm or require a high % of non-polar hydro-finised stock. I would challenge that there is NO REALISABLE benefit to running a 0w20 in Texas whatsoever. Building high vm in a group III blend is not uber alles or without a downside in stressed applications. Continue to PRETEND like you pretend most synthetic sold in North America is a technical Synthetic lubricant. Nice brainwashing job, Big Oil!

I will continue using it--have no reason not to--UOAs are top notch, I am HIGHLY skeptical I have varnish, and TGMO ain't all that and a bag of potato chips Arco. I swear that according to you there is no other oil on the planet that is comparable. In addition, there is NOTHING DETRIMENTAL about using a 0W-20 in Texas either. If there is--prove it.

Yeah I thought about that. I may try the signature series 0W20 next to compare. When I compared the price for a case it was much more with shipping, etc. I usually change oil every 5K with a tire rotation. I guess with the sig series I could try 10K. I had a really good Honda tech that I trust tell me to just the oil level closely with all the driving I do. I was 300 miles today in and out of Houston traffic....

If he's running M1 EP 0w-20 he's using a "true synthetic" (going by the German definition) because it is 70% PAO.
Show me.

Sure:

M1EP0w2001.jpg

M1EP0w2002.jpg

The AFE 0w-20 is 30-40% PAO in comparison.
Good show, Overkill! I missed the EP part where you said if he's running EP ... .
I've heard tell it was a true syn.
I may try that in a varnish prone engine.
Unfortunately Subaru shortened its OCI from the original 7500mi and the wife's car is under warranty. Still EP is cheaper by the jug at walmart than Subaru Genuine oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Curious why you consider your driving severe, when most of your miles are highway?

+1

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
City Star or Bullseye if they make 0w-20
smile.gif

It saves you the angst of your oil turning from amber to black, it comes out of the bottle already black and preloaded the contaminants
grin.gif

Whimsey

Not Wolf's Head - thats a pretty good oil.
I haven't seen Wolf's Head oil in 25 fears but back in the day it was a good oil along with Quaker State.

Wolf's Head is good oil.

I think he was making reference to the PQIA couldn't identify what was in Bullseye or City star ... it was a mix of used oil , some coolant, ATF and who knows what else.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
BTW TGMO is ANY oil that meets ILSAC gf5 in the recommended weight. SO, if your Toyota dealer uses Wolf's Head or Peak 0w20 in bulk - for servicing - that's TGMO.

None of that is accurate.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is not a specification, and it's not "whatever the dealer uses"; it's a product that is sold by the Toyota parts network. Peak 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Wolf's Head 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Mobil 1 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. It can be purchased by the bottle from the dealer's parts counter. It can sometimes be purchased out of a bulk drum. If the dealer uses other oil in their drums, and they fill your container with it, you won't be getting Toyota Genuine Motor Oil; you'll be getting "whatever the dealer uses".

You don't need or want a 0wXx in Texas.

0W-XX will operate just the same, or even better, than 5W-XX...even in Texas. If paying for synthetic oil, there's very little reason to not use a 0W-XX, especially in a Toyota GR engine or a Honda K engine.

Jason, well said.
Sorry you are incorrect in correcting me this time. Yes bottles of (XoM) TGMO on the parts shelves is TGMO wher current spec.
But
Do you want to see the Toyota motor company TSB describing what TGMO IS?

Yes! Please show me.

This from the Toyota website:

"Genuine Toyota Motor Oil
Formulated with a special additive package that helps protect Toyota metal and gasket surfaces from corrosion, prevents foaming and maintains the proper application of oil on cylinder walls.

• Available in 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades
• Four-point depressants maintain fluidity in cold climates
• Viscosity index improvers stabilize viscosity levels for a wide range of operating temperatures

Synthetic Motor Oil
Many new Toyota models are certified for a new, zero weight synthetic lubrication standard, or 0W-20. This lower viscosity oil pumps better when cold, yet provides uniform lubrication, reduced friction and better overall efficiency than conventional engine oil.

• Improves fuel economy
• Improved thermal stability
• Longer oil change intervals"

If my 2013 Tundra specs synthetic, wouldn't I expect it to be TGMO?

Can a UOA tell me if it is in fact TGMO?

Several sites I have been to have supported ARCOgraphite's contention that they use whatever meets some specification. If that is the case, what incentive do I have to have the dealer do my oil changes. I grant you that the above quote does not say that the oil is TGMO, only "a new, zero weight synthetic lubrication standard, or 0W-20". That could mean almost any oil that meets some spec that they don't communicate to the customer.

John
W.TN

Haven't we already takled about who makes the TGMO? I thought we established that, for example, TGMO in Canada is not the same as TGMO in US, even if you buy it in TGMO bottles.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is TGMO? Arco's point seems to be spot on. How can anyone argue the virtues of TGMO when they have little idea what's exactly in the bottle?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Haven't we already takled about who makes the TGMO? I thought we established that, for example, TGMO in Canada is not the same as TGMO in US, even if you buy it in TGMO bottles.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is TGMO? Arco's point seems to be spot on. How can anyone argue the virtues of TGMO when they have little idea what's exactly in the bottle?

TGMO is: "The God's Motor Oil". It really doesn't matter who makes it, it is great by virtue of its name.
smile.gif

Just have'n fun on a lousy day.

It sounds as if any quality(?) 0W-20 defines TGMO. If that is the case I can buy Amsoil or Mobil 1, for instance and take it to someone local that I trust to change my oil since I can't be sure what the dealer is using from his bulk tank.

John
W.TN

Last edited:
May not be the best 0w20, but Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20 was a good value at AAP with filter for 24.99. The old Taurus is loving it with the Driveworks filter. She runs whisper quiet.
I absolutely love the Mobil Super family of oils.

Last edited:
I use Valvoline 0w-20 in my 13 Honda Accord and 2011 Toyota sienna. I used to use Mobil 1 0w-20 but it would burn in the Honda (cars only got 57k miles). I switched over to Valvoline and the car doesn't burn any oil.

Back