best 0W20

I have run Mobil 0W-20, Toyota 0W-20, and Mobil 5W-20 in my vehicles in the last four years. All were a yearly OCI between 7,000-10,000 miles. All are excellent oils and you can't go wrong with any of them I personally liked the two 0W-20's best.

When I looked at the Honda 0W20 numbers they did not look as strong as the TGMO? If there is a recent comparision of the two I would like to see it. I am a Honda fan. I think the Honda 2.4 is one of the best on the market. I can drive it hard and get 30 mpg. I believe the Honda 0W20 is much more expensive also? Again splitting expensive hairs...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Remember when it comes to determining what oil is best, you'll always get lots of opinions, but no facts. Here's my opinion:

Add me to the Mobil 1 0W20 AFE list as well. You're in Texas so finding it should be easy. It will probably be on sale somewhere, or you can always grab a 5 qt. jug of it at Walmart for a good price.

+1

Originally Posted By: 0w20something
Danno,

Most of it is highway. In and out of Houston, etc. Sometimes it is ran really hard for 4-5 hours a day. Our heat+humidity+my heavy foot+ sometimes getting caught in houston traffic= severe. (In my opinion)
Driving on the raceway, I mean the beltway is a little severe. If you are not going 70-75 you could be runover.....
I managed to get 308,000 out of my last Accord before trading it in.

Seems like that's ideal; the engine gets up to temperature frequently.

TGMO is not high moly in ILSAC GF5/API SN.
BTW TGMO is ANY oil that meets ILSAC gf5 in the recommended weight. SO, if your Toyota dealer uses Wolf's Head or Peak 0w20 in bulk - for servicing - that's TGMO.

I am still a fan of Valvoline 0w20 - nothing's come close in my cars for clean good power and best fuel mileage - except the FF. Id like to try the Mazda stuff someday - looks like FF break in lube!

You don't need or want a 0wXx in Texas.
I'll give you the OK to run 5w20 with a 1/2 Qt of Dual Rated fleet HDEO 10w30 thrown in for good benefit
smile.gif

Brand recognition and trust
Price
Easy to find
Great specs and certifications
Independently tested by PQIA

Based on these criteria, I would say Mobil1 AFE.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
TGMO is not high moly in ILSAC GF5/API SN.
BTW TGMO is ANY oil that meets ILSAC gf5 in the recommended weight. SO, if your Toyota dealer uses Wolf's Head or Peak 0w20 in bulk - for servicing - that's TGMO.

That makes a lot of sense, and another good reason to avoid buying it in bulk. If you want TGMO that's so well regarded here on Bitog, buy it in bottles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
City Star or Bullseye if they make 0w-20
smile.gif

It saves you the angst of your oil turning from amber to black, it comes out of the bottle already black and preloaded the contaminants
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
smile.gif

It saves you the angst of your oil turning from amber to black, it comes out of the bottle already black and preloaded the contaminants
grin.gif

Whimsey

Not Wolf's Head - thats a pretty good oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
smile.gif

grin.gif

Whimsey

Not Wolf's Head - thats a pretty good oil.

Wolf's Head is good oil.

I think he was making reference to the PQIA couldn't identify what was in Bullseye or City star ... it was a mix of used oil , some coolant, ATF and who knows what else.

None of that is accurate.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is not a specification, and it's not "whatever the dealer uses"; it's a product that is sold by the Toyota parts network. Peak 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Wolf's Head 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Mobil 1 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. It can be purchased by the bottle from the dealer's parts counter. It can sometimes be purchased out of a bulk drum. If the dealer uses other oil in their drums, and they fill your container with it, you won't be getting Toyota Genuine Motor Oil; you'll be getting "whatever the dealer uses".

0W-XX will operate just the same, or even better, than 5W-XX...even in Texas. If paying for synthetic oil, there's very little reason to not use a 0W-XX, especially in a Toyota GR engine or a Honda K engine.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Whimsey said:
Nate1979 said:
smile.gif

Wolf's Head is good oil.

I think he was making reference to the PQIA couldn't identify what was in Bullseye or City star ... it was a mix of used oil , some coolant, ATF and who knows what else.

Thank you Miller88, yes I was. I don't know where Wolf's Head oil was in my joking comments about City Star and Bullseye.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

None of that is accurate.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is not a specification, and it's not "whatever the dealer uses"; it's a product that is sold by the Toyota parts network. Peak 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Wolf's Head 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Mobil 1 0W-20 in bulk drums is not Toyota Genuine Motor Oil.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. It can be purchased by the bottle from the dealer's parts counter. It can sometimes be purchased out of a bulk drum. If the dealer uses other oil in their drums, and they fill your container with it, you won't be getting Toyota Genuine Motor Oil; you'll be getting "whatever the dealer uses".

0W-XX will operate just the same, or even better, than 5W-XX...even in Texas. If paying for synthetic oil, there's very little reason to not use a 0W-XX, especially in a Toyota GR engine or a Honda K engine.

Jason, well said.

Originally Posted By: 0w20something
When I looked at the Honda 0W20 numbers they did not look as strong as the TGMO? If there is a recent comparision of the two I would like to see it. I am a Honda fan. I think the Honda 2.4 is one of the best on the market. I can drive it hard and get 30 mpg. I believe the Honda 0W20 is much more expensive also? Again splitting expensive hairs...

No you're not splitting hairs.
TGMO is a very high VI 0W-20, the CoP made Honda USA 0W-20 is not although Honda does spec' very high VI 0W-20s in other jurisdictions.
So TGMO 0W-20 is a unique product and the few comparable 0W-20s cost more with less availability.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Whimsey said:
Nate1979 said:
smile.gif

Wolf's Head is good oil.

Thank you Miller88, yes I was. I don't know where Wolf's Head oil was in my joking comments about City Star and Bullseye.

Whimsey

Brain lock... for some reason i thought you wrote Wolfs Head.
blush.gif

Last edited:
I'll give you the OK to run 5w20 with a 1/2 Qt of Dual Rated fleet HDEO 10w30 thrown in for good benefit
smile.gif

**cough**, **cough**...bovine scatology! I assume this is a reference to the heat in Texas? My FX4 has not found a problem with switching to a 0W-20 diet in Texas, Montana, Wyoming, or New Mexico in the blistering heat...

Back