best 0W20

Hello,

I am new here. I have been lurking here the past couple of weeks. I was glad to find the information on the Toyota 0W20. I have used Amsoil for almost 20 years. I recently got a 2013 Highlander with the 3.5 and was impressed with how fast it started, how quiet and smooth it ran, and how well it ran. The engine turned over almost instantly. The first thing I did when looking at the vehicle was check the oil. It felt different to me. Super slick and very thin. Based on what I have read here the last couple of weeks it seems to be hands down the best synthetic for the money. Its flow characteristics and moly content is impressive. I have had Amsoil in my 2011 Honda Accord 4 Cyl for 40K. I am thinking about experimenting and using the Toyota 0W20 in it. I drive a great deal, mostly highway miles. I am interested to see what the oil monitoring system does with the Toyota oil in it. I usually change my oil at 50% or around 5-6000 miles because I am severe service. I can drive 200-300 miles a day. I am an old lab rat and love to compare/contrast different things, especially when it comes to cars/engines.

The Toyota oil should do just fine for you. I doubt you or your car will ever be able to tell the difference between TGMO, Amsoil, Mobil1, or whatever.

Try TGMO in your Honda if you wish, but you oil life monitoring system won't know the difference. The IOLM never touches the oil; it uses an algorithm to estimate oil life remaining based on engine revs, cold starts, and a bunch of other factors. It will show the same oil life remaining if the crankcase is filled with olive oil, conventional oil or TGMO.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Welcome to BITOG.

The TGMO 0W-20 is a favorite here.

+1

welcome2.gif

I've been using Mobil 1 0W20 advanced fuel economy in 3 engines and in three different vehicles. 2009 Camry 4 cyl., 2012 Highlander V6 and a 2014 Honda Accord 4 cyl. The oil has made all three engines quiter compared to other oils I've ran and the gas mileage has improved. Like others have said choosing between the mentioned oils is like splitting hairs but that's what this forum is for.

I have been using M1 0-20 for several years now and it performs very well in both Fords. 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Danno,

Most of it is highway. In and out of Houston, etc. Sometimes it is ran really hard for 4-5 hours a day. Our heat+humidity+my heavy foot+ sometimes getting caught in houston traffic= severe. (In my opinion)
Driving on the raceway, I mean the beltway is a little severe. If you are not going 70-75 you could be runover.....
I managed to get 308,000 out of my last Accord before trading it in.

Give TGMO 0w20 a try in your Accord. I'm sure you will like it. I did in my K24. Have M1 AFE 0w20 in now, and in the future I can see myself switching back to TGMO.

I have tried it all, tgmo m1, pennz,qs. My verdict: M1 AFE or EP. I didnt like the toyota bulk 0w20 that i got. Just feel like the engine was smoother and better on M1although who knows...just how i feel...

+1 to splitting hairs

Remember when it comes to determining what oil is best, you'll always get lots of opinions, but no facts. Here's my opinion:

Add me to the Mobil 1 0W20 AFE list as well. You're in Texas so finding it should be easy. It will probably be on sale somewhere, or you can always grab a 5 qt. jug of it at Walmart for a good price.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Try TGMO in your Honda if you wish, but you oil life monitoring system won't know the difference. The IOLM never touches the oil; it uses an algorithm to estimate oil life remaining based on engine revs, cold starts, and a bunch of other factors. It will show the same oil life remaining if the crankcase is filled with olive oil, conventional oil or TGMO.

Yeah and we should tell Toyota vehicle owners to blindly use Honda 0w-20 engine oil in Toyota vehicles.

Logic would dictate Honda know whats best for Honda vehicles but some BITOG members have difficulty coming to grips with this concept.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Give TGMO 0w20 a try in your Accord. I'm sure you will like it. I did in my K24. Have M1 AFE 0w20 in now, and in the future I can see myself switching back to TGMO.

He might like it but the engine could care less.

Back