Best 0w20 to resist fuel dilution in Honda 1.5 TGDI engine? And use in Honda J35 V6s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the collective wisdom on the best mainstream 0w20 to use in a Honda 1.5 TGDI engine (2021 Honda CRV) to resist fuel dilution that is also good for use in 2 other Honda J35Z V6s that take 0w20?

Which one has the most fuel dilution resistant formula with the new/changed/recent formulas? I thought it was M1 EP, but am wondering about their recent formula change.

I follow the maintenance minder OCIs, generally 6k or 7k miles. The CRV sees some short twice a week urban trips and then longer highway drives. The V6s see highway commutes.

Eyes on Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum full synth, or Valvoline EP synthetic, or another mainstream available at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

I would love to settle on a single best oil to stock that served all my 0w20 Hondas. I have an older Honda V6 that gets M1 High Mileage.

Curious on the collective wisdom. Thanks.

I strongly suggest 5w-30. My two Hondas spec 0w-20. I switched the 2012 Fit to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and like it much better especially at higher rpms. My 2021 Pilot just passed 10,000 miles and I'm not happy that everytime I get back from a 500 mile 90% highway trip, the dipstick barely has any oil on it (low) after I fill it perfectly with Mobil 0w-20 EP. It's getting the 5w-30 after winter when it's due for a change.

What is the fuel contamination % after your 6K-7K OCI?
It was 1.3 pct fuel and 360 F flashpoint per a Blackstone test on the first OC. i dont know of any fuel dilution on the J35 V6s but I dont get the oil analysis done on them. Below is a link to my post with the oil analysis

It was 1.3 pct fuel and 360 F flashpoint per a Blackstone test on the first OC. i dont know of any fuel dilution on the J35 V6s but I dont get the oil analysis done on them. Below is a link to my post with the oil analysis

I read here on BITOG few times that the fuel dilution value provided by Blackstone might not be accurate and that it's better to use lab that uses GC (gas chromatography).

I get back from a 500 mile 90% highway trip, the dipstick barely has any oil on it (low) after I fill it perfectly with Mobil 0w-20 EP.
I have a 21 Pilot as well and have not noticed any oil loss. I've been changing the oil my self with Honda Ultimate 0w20. I don't think oil will make a difference with oil burning or dilution but maybe premium OE oil is worth a shot?

Last edited:
I'd go with 5W30 or 0W40 Mobil1 ESP, I've cleaned enough hard carbon chunks out of the EGR on my mom's J35A6 to suggest that maybe a high ash oil isn't the best choice in a J series and Mobil1 Full-SAPS Euro oils have no business being used in small displacement turbo engines.

I'd go with 5W30 or 0W40 Mobil1 ESP, I've cleaned enough hard carbon chunks out of the EGR on my mom's J35A6 to suggest that maybe a high ash oil isn't the best choice in a J series and Mobil1 Full-SAPS Euro oils have no business being used in small displacement turbo engines.

But ash is grey to white and the carbon you removed was black I would think?

I also suggest a decent 5w30 for all your needs.
My relatively new Honda with 0w20 was noisier when accelerating from a stop while lifting off the clutch.
Kinda sounded like a bottom end knock, until I gave it more gas. Only 30k miles.

After swapping to 5w30, all that noise is gone and it engine seems to idle smoother.
No oil consumption with either weight oil, but dilution on all Honda 1.5's is a common theme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back