Best 0w20 to resist fuel dilution in Honda 1.5 TGDI engine? And use in Honda J35 V6s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1ESP 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W20. Changed frequently as @billt460 already stated.

If it were mine and under warranty it would be back at the dealer getting that issue addressed.

That’s a good one. Dealers and Honda would do nothing beyond declaring it “normal”.

Yep, though I will add that 4% is actually low compared to what some of these Honda's see, keep that in mind :)

And yes, VII polymer (plastic) could most definitely get attacked by fuel, further reducing viscosity, so minimal VII use should help alleviate that.
My initial sample had 4.6% in 211 miles. I nearly had a heart attack!

Thank you for your input ! Can I ask about your OCI and driving conditions ? Have you changed the timing belt and associated hardware yet ?

8500 mi is typical according to the maintenance minder for an oil change interval. I'm an average driver but here in Wisconsin we do get some very bad weather in the winter which this thing has done great in. Engine has less than 20,000 miles currently and the timing belt is not due until 105,000 miles.

Whether a higher octane fuel reduces anti-knock enrichment and timing varies wildly based on engine design and ECM programming, it's definitely not a guaranteed fix. It could do anything from greatly reducing it to absolutely nothing at all.

Has anybody tried running 91 in this engine with UOA's that use GC to see if it has any appreciable impact on dilution?
We run 88 or 89 and it does help along with siphoning out a quart or two every 4-5k.

According to this, it's the rings. :unsure:

Naw, fuel dilution is an issue with all GDI and TGDI engines, all of them. It's not unique to Honda and they've reduced it somewhat with an ECM update, but it still isn't totally fixed, and they may not be able to. Their was a ban of the engine in China and a class-action lawsuit over the problem, lol.

The main issue with the 1.5L is that it's super small and very efficient and doesn't make enough heat, so, in areas where it is cold, they stay in start-up enrichment perpetually and this makes the dilution much, MUCH worse. That's what happened in China and in northern climates with this engine.

Some marques of course do DI better than others. BMW seems to have minimal dilution and of course Toyota, and now Ford, use split PI/DI to capitalize on the strengths, and mitigate the weaknesses of each.

Wow, was that 5 miles at a time?
Unfortunately no. My assumption is that between leaving Japan, and getting to Cleveland, it saw significant idle times.

I generally run a new engine ~300 miles, and change oil. I carried this one out, and made an interstate run for a large portion of that, cycling up and down the RPM range in a lower gear quite a bit to ensure the rings seated, and brought it home. Was driven normal during the week, and carried it for about a 20 mile drive to warm it properly, then changed the oil…

The reason my 2nd interval was only 5K - I nearly had a heart attack after seeing the UOA! I kept a close eye on it during the first run on the HPL - looking for signs of problems. I really thought something was wrong!

Naw, fuel dilution is an issue with all GDI and TGDI engines, all of them. It's not unique to Honda and they've reduced it somewhat with an ECM update, but it still isn't totally fixed, and they may not be able to. Their was a ban of the engine in China and a class-action lawsuit over the problem, lol.

The main issue with the 1.5L is that it's super small and very efficient and doesn't make enough heat, so, in areas where it is cold, they stay in start-up enrichment perpetually and this makes the dilution much, MUCH worse. That's what happened in China and in northern climates with this engine.

Some marques of course do DI better than others. BMW seems to have minimal dilution and of course Toyota, and now Ford, use split PI/DI to capitalize on the strengths, and mitigate the weaknesses of each.

Plus those engines have a small sump capacity.

Another miracle in a bottle. Scotty loves it!

My '18 CRV has a 3.7qt sump capacity. Here's something to try:
-next oil change, fill it with 3.5qt. The oil level will be about 20% lower than the high mark.
-periodically check your oil level. It will be easier to see it climb when it's below the high mark.
-when the oil level reaches the high mark, check the mileage. You gained 0.2qt in that many miles.

I started doing this on the last oil change and it took about 1000 miles for the oil level to get to the high mark. That equates to roughly 1qt in 5000 miles. At least it will give you a yardstick to monitor the rate of fuel dilution, even if you can't do anything about reducing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back