Best 0w20 for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
I'd vote for M1 Extended Performance 0W-20. Its base stock is 60-70% PAO (about twice the percentage of M1 AFE), long OCI capability which will be comforting when following the IOLM and is readily available at WalMart. It may be a couple dollars more per jug than the others, but seems well worth it.

+1

Living in FL i don't think cold start is an issue you need to be concerned with.
The Mobil 1 or Pennzoil products are cheap enough anywhere especially when they are on sale with a filter.
The Pennzoil is a 100% GTL oil + add pack which is claimed to be equivalent to to PAO.

The engine will run well and live a long and happy life on either. I cant comment on the other oils mentioned as i haven't used them but if its 0w20 i would guess they are all good too.

+1

I have an '05 and have been running M1 0-20 since new with absolutely no complaints ... with 170k+ miles on the car, I'm leaning toward a HM oil and will probably go with Pennzoil or Mobil.

Other Honda's in sig get PP and my son's civic uses Valvoline ( he refuses to change his own oil even with my help and goes to a local place.... He must be adopted or something)

At one point used TGMO in the minivan.,., loved that oil but a real pain to get and most expensive of the lot

Noticed that M1 pricing is creeping up at Walmart and the are now pushing Penzoil for about $4 or $5 less per 5 qt jug.

I won't hesitate to go with PP to save a few bucks

My opinion/experience is you can't go wrong with either

I went through a similar process many years ago with a Honda Civic. The process I settled on for making a decision was, I ran a few known good oils through an OCI, and decided on the one that gave the best fuel mileage. It was Chevron synthetic, at the time. Got about 1 mpg better than M1.

(Difference between 50 and 51 mpg.....This was a '83 1300FE......I never got less than 46 with that car.)

Shortly thereafter, Chevron synthetic disappeared from the auto parts stores shelves. Back to M1.......Such is life.

If you do a little searching or just think back to those threads you've read, you'll realize that TGMO, M1, PP, QSUD, HGMO, MGMO, SSO, Synpower and Edge all have strong advocates for oils available in the 0W-20 grade.
What this should tell you is that it probably doesn't matter.
All of the above oils offer certain advantages while all also fail to excell in one respect or another.
If you really want to run the one true oil for the rest of the Accord's days, just select one of the above and use it.
Any one of them will protect the engine from excessive wear and keep it clean on the OCIs you say that you'll do.
Don't worry about add packs too much.
There is more than one road to low wear and a clean engine.

Just picked up 5qts of Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20 with a Driveworks filter at AAP for $24.99. I have loved Mobil Super 5000 and High Mileage, so I expect this should be a great one.

I've run a bunch of different 0W-20s in my cars over the years.
Finally commited to TGMO for the Prius and bought a case from my local dealer. As for my Honda I still have a stash of M1 and PP 0W-20 to use for the winters and some Castrol Edge and PP 5W-20 for my spring oil changes. Maybe by the time that's all gone I will finally commit to one oil as well (or maybe not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back