Best 0w20 for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, "the question". I am looking to stick with one oil for the life of my Accord. I know that all SN oils are of good quality and this would be splitting hairs, but I will ask anyway. I have tried most brands and like some more than others. I am sold on using a synthetic 0w20. There are many readily available at WM for good prices. I'm just looking for your recommendations on which oil to stick with permanently. I am of the mindset that switching oils around will end up removing the old add pack and have to re deposit the new one. So sticking with one oil makes since. I have a top 3 that I like... TGMO, M1, and PP. PP has the high Moly, M1 has the good base stocks, and TGMO has the great VI causing it to be very light on start up. Driving style is 95% city short tripping. 5 miles or less, usually 1 mile back and forth to work. OCI is MM 15%, 5K, OR 6 months whichever is first. I know this is hair splitting as they are all good, but each has a strong suit, curious as to which one you would choose (or others) as your oil to go the distance. I can get all of these for around $25 where I live so cost is irrelevant.

I wonder since you've covered many oils on this car what going to a boutique oil like Amsoil would do. Would certainly be interesting even though I realize Amsoil is priced way out of this world. I'm considering it for my next OCI even though my application is about as far from yours as one could get.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wonder since you've covered many oils on this car what going to a boutique oil like Amsoil would do. Would certainly be interesting even though I realize Amsoil is priced way out of this world. I'm considering it for my next OCI even though my application is about as far from yours as one could get.

Nick, thanks for the suggestion. But I am looking to get an oil that is easily obtainable in my area. Plus, Im not looking to spend more than $25 and Amsoils 0w20 is basically just as thick or even thicker than most 5w20's if I recall correctly. Why not just run M1 0w40 in your Vdub? Heck, if Honda allowed other grades thats what I would run
wink.gif
its a great oil!

Originally Posted By: datech
I would say M1 that way you won't have to change your sig...
lol, hardly a concern.

I'd vote for M1 Extended Performance 0W-20. Its base stock is 60-70% PAO (about twice the percentage of M1 AFE), long OCI capability which will be comforting when following the IOLM and is readily available at WalMart. It may be a couple dollars more per jug than the others, but seems well worth it.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Valvoline would be a better choice for you

I have considered this before, but ultimately it has the same viscosity as 5w20's in every day temps and also has no moly or boron. Whats the point of a 0w20 if the viscosity is the same a a 5w.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I'd vote for M1 Extended Performance 0W-20. Its base stock is 60-70% PAO (about twice the percentage of M1 AFE), long OCI capability which will be comforting when following the IOLM and is readily available at WalMart. It may be a couple dollars more per jug than the others, but seems well worth it.

Good point, Ill have to watch WM and see if it goes on sale again. That would be a good choice. I dont know much about the EP though. Same add pack as AFE?

The short tripping alone would convince me to go with the oil that is the lightest possible at startup.
Go with the oil that works for you, your car and your wallet...

Originally Posted By: Roob
The short tripping alone would convince me to go with the oil that is the lightest possible at startup.
Go with the oil that works for you, your car and your wallet...

I wish I could get the Mazda oil locally and at a good price. Light on start up AND high in moly

I know it is a different engine, but my mom's 2011 Honda Fit with the 1.5L seems to like the Valvoline SynPower 0w20. It is probably the quietest oil in that engine so far, and those engines are known to be noisy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Nick, thanks for the suggestion. But I am looking to get an oil that is easily obtainable in my area. Plus, Im not looking to spend more than $25 and Amsoils 0w20 is basically just as thick or even thicker than most 5w20's if I recall correctly. Why not just run M1 0w40 in your Vdub? Heck, if Honda allowed other grades thats what I would run
wink.gif
its a great oil!
I'd love to be able to run Mobil 1 0w40 in it, but the 04-06 TDI's were specced to run a 505.01 VW approved oil, they are far and few between and expensive....... I paid $11 a quart for the oil I have in it. I don't know much about it, just that it meets the 505.01. Many people run other oils but after hearing of these engines eating up camshafts on non spec oils it has me too scared to try any other oil that doesn't meet this spec. It's running Pentosin High Performance II 5w40 in it.

wink.gif
its a great oil!
I'd love to be able to run Mobil 1 0w40 in it, but the 04-06 TDI's were specced to run a 505.01 VW approved oil, they are far and few between and expensive....... I paid $11 a quart for the oil I have in it. I don't know much about it, just that it meets the 505.01. Many people run other oils but after hearing of these engines eating up camshafts on non spec oils it has me too scared to try any other oil that doesn't meet this spec. It's running Pentosin High Performance II 5w40 in it.

Oh ok. Yes, keep doing what your doing then! Too bad it cost so much.

wink.gif
its a great oil!

Oh ok. Yes, keep doing what your doing then! Too bad it cost so much.
Yeah I found it at that price at an auto parts store, not knowing i cana cut ally buy it online for around $40-45 a jug. Not terrible though. Wish I still had a gas car I could run what's left of my stash of Pennzoil Ultra (the good stuff). Oh well haha.

Whichever one you find on sale at the time. I know you say you believe in staying with one oil, but from what I have read here, there is plenty of evidence to show that those who use whatever oil they get on sale, are just as successful in maintaining a happy engine, as those who are committed to a particular oil.

Just yesterday I was reading a thread on a Subaru site I visit. The subject of the thread is high mileage Subarus. A couple posts in particular caught my attention. The first guy has over 273k miles on his 2000 Outback. He typically changes his oil between 5k and 6k miles. Oh, and he puts in the crankcase whatever 5w-30 oil he can find on sale, but prefers Shell when he can get it for $2/qt. at Menards. Clearly, he isn't buying synthetic at $2/qt.

The next guy has over 297k on his car. Changes the oil every 3k using "mostly 10w-40". The "mostly" caught my attention. It suggests to me that he has been willing to use other oils other than his preference. And he is still on his way to more miles than most of us would put on a car before we tire of it.

If these guys can be pushing 300k miles by using whatever dino is on sale, I'm sure your engine isn't going to care if you select the oil with the best add pack one time, and the best base stock next time, and the best moly content another.

Last edited:
Buy a bunch of jugs of the first one you find on sale, then you can put the agony of choosing to rest
grin.gif

gregk24.....

Dude, you're in Florida. It's 23 degrees here in Indiana right now. I have PU 5w30 in my Honda.

These engines are sooooo easy on oil....run whatever you want. Honestly.

If you want to run a 20 weight, go ahead. You could honestly run M1 0w40 or GC in your Honda and be ABSOLUTELY fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back