Beretta Model 87 Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this gun at the same time I ordered my Ruger GP-100 .22. I had been wanting one for a long time, and finally decided to go ahead and make the purchase. I had not handled or shot one, which made me a bit concerned. Now after getting and handling the gun, I'm extremely pleased. The quality, along with the fit and finish is superb. One area of concern I had was the trigger. Many people who have owned and shot these guns complained about them having too much over travel.

Just dry firing the gun with my thumb to catch the hammer, I find the trigger to be very good. It will take a bit of getting used to over a single action target .22 auto like my S&W Model 41, or even any of the Ruger Mark pistols, because it is a bit "different". But it's far from objectionable. The gun comes with 2 magazines in a nice foam lined plastic case. The sights are very distinguishable, and come with a replaceable front blade that can be easily changed out with the provided Allen Wrench. The thicker of the 2 blades comes installed on the gun, which is what I prefer. I like to fill the rear notch with as much of the front sight as possible.

I'm hoping to get out to the range with it next week, along with the GP-100 to give both of them a good wringing out. You don't see too many of these Beretta 87 Target Models. They're an expensive gun that hardly qualify as a plinker. It's a dedicated target pistol, that's for sure. Disassembly is pretty straight forward. 2 Allen Head Screws are loosened to remove the front under barrel weight. Then the pistol field strips much like an M-9, or 92-FS. The one thing I did notice was the advertised weight of this pistol is not 41 ounces as claimed. It's more like 29 ounces, give or take. With that said the gun doesn't seem too light. It balances very well. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of shooting with this gun. It looks like I'll be needing a lot of Standard Velocity target .22 L.R. Something I don't have a lot of. Most of my .22 ammo is high velocity. If this new Beretta cycles dependably with Standard Velocity, then that's all it's going to see. I'm most likely going to pick up a few extra magazines for it as well.

Getting 22 Accuracy shooting will make you or break you! I did a year of ARA shooting and haven't touched a rifle since. 22 LR s accuracy is so ammo dependent . It has been 2 years and I still hate myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back