Bent valves - How to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear I have a bent valve in my engine.

I know that now the head needs to come off.
Will the valve guide need to be take out?
Will the valve be straightened, or a new one used?
And, everything else can be left as is, ie, no need for head reconditioning?

This will require an inspection for those answers-except that a bent valve will be replaced, not straightened-good luck

If you have to check everything it gets expensive.

I would try a new valve and just do a valve job (lapping etc) on just that one valve.

Use a new head gasket, and throw it all back together.

If you go by every textbook step a scrapper low mileage engine would be a lot cheaper.

Go to the wreckers and get another head. By the time you pay someone to remove the old head and fix it,properly,you'll have spent more than just replacing the head as a whole.

A local farmer told me that the video is correct. He is a great at keeping farm machinery running, even making some of his own parts with a well equipped machine shop and welders. He said farmers must lean to fix stuff if they're going to stay in business.

I think the largest part of the cost will be removing the head, new head gasket, head bolts etc, and the actual replacement of the valve and valve guide won't be much?
I have spare valves either which way

Last head job I did was on a diesel OM606 Mercedes, yank the head off, send to Metric Motors in AZ, $2,000 later back on the car.

Typically the machine shop will measure the specs on everything and let you know what needs fixing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys though thankfully after doing a compression test it seems the valves are all fine
smile.gif

Sometimes when the valve fails, it destroys the valve seat as well, so having a machinist rebuild the head is the best choice. Also, a failed valve seat can resemble a bent valve.

Once the head is off, how will you know that other problems exist, raising repair costs dramatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back