Belarus 1770 4wd articulated tractor

A 1995 Belarus 1770 tractor followed me home. i have been familiarizing myself with the overall machine and am preparing to change all of the oils in it before it goes to work. i found a book for the tractor translated into english and have been working my way through the oil specs. interesting is the specs in the book are written for russian oil specs of M10B or M101 and M81 oils and also give a mil spec of mil-L-45199 and MIL-L-2104B for use in the transmission and engine crankcase. there is also a spec for shell rimula 30 or shell rotella oil 30 for both the transmission and engine all oils are spec for 30 or 40 weight. the transmission is the spur gear type with 4 powershift clutches. the engine is a smd-63 v6 turbo diesel of russian origin but built in the ukraine. i have reached out to some others for their experiences with the 1770 models and the T 150K as it is designated in other parts of the world. interesting to find that most in the USA are having good service from their tractors but a few had engine or more rarely transmission issues. the technology in this tractor seems to be pretty simple and the metallurgy are probably of less than domestic machines. now for the oil question???? do you think this tractor would service better with older mono grade oils in the specs or from more modern multigrade oils? these tractors seem to just last forever in those parts of the world where the grades of fuel and lubes leave allot to be desired.

that was my original thinking also. but was a little concerned that the additives in the multigrade might harm the powershift clutches? i think the manufacturing tech on this tractor is a far way from the same as domestic tractors. they seem to provide many years of good service in places where good oil is difficult to find,so i suspect that the materials might be sensitive to additives?

While some what off topic some Clark Forklifts and Cat Forklift models in the middle 1980s used 30 wt engine oil in their auto transmissions.

yes i used the T0-2 oils years ago but that has been replaced with T0-4. the new specifications as far as lubrication are impressive but my concern is more with the compatibility with the seals orings and clutch materials used in this particular tractor. judging from the rubber hoses and the metallurgy etc that i can see and touch i would say that these components could be affected by modern chemistry? or i could be totally off base and the newer oils could be better? i would venture a guess that the materials in the clutches etc are at best 1970's tech level.

Maybe email an oil company , Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc and ask. keep the email

i found a manual for a 1507 model almost the same tractor as mine. the manual was in slovic so i had to do some translating but one thing stood out--- TO-2! so thats what i am going with for now. shell T1 sae 40.

please school me. is there really any problems with synthetic oils damaging old outdated rubber components in engines and transmissions? or damaging the friction components in constant mesh powershift transmissions used in agriculture and construction equipment?

No one can say for certain.. it might just even clean up some goo and "create" a leak.. on worn seals.. then you think it was the oil.. when all the oil did was dissolve some old glop deposits that was holding the oil in better.

I cannot really help you at all, but I think your concerns are worthy. Decades ago I had a 1950's Massey (similar to Ford 8N) and the dealer warned me that the modern universal transmission fluids "might" dissolve the paint on the internal transmission case. They recommended straight mineral oil. I don't know if this was truth or myth.

The new Belarus tractors I saw at MSU's Ag. Expo in the 1990's looked very crude. Crude castings, horrible looking welds. Sheet metal hoods and fenders that looked like they were made from scrap metal. Having said that, simplicity often trumps modern technology - geez, today's car-like computer controlled tractors can be problematic and expensive to maintain.

Your's should make for a fascinating "project tractor". Can you post some pictures??

this is from the kharkov tractor factory

all kinds of ridiculous stuff happened in 80s they were slapping a belarus badge on anything with wheels

Last edited:
yes this is basically a Kharkov T-150K tractor manufactured in Ukraine. google T 150K tractor and you can youtube some tractors mostly of older vintage still being used. the tractor factory got bombed in feb but word is they moved it to poland??? the MTZ people still get parts for me though. I think this tractor has been built since the late 60's with very little change.

yea it is big by my standards also. until now my biggest tractor was a 100 hp and still is my regular used machine hauling hay feeding etc. i thought i needed a bigger tractor so i could work some ground and get more done for efficiency. but not needed bad enough to justify a more expensive tractor for the few hours a year i need it. i hope this tractor will fill the gap. actually i think if they could bring them over again they would sell like hot cakes. i would say put a better air conditioner on it and most farmers wouldn't mind it a bit.

Back