Being different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, I don't even have to admit it - my wife saw it fly (pretty good hang time too).

Well I have to admit I've thrown a fishing rod as far as I could into a pond. I think the baitcast reel on it was acting up. And yes, I know how to cast a baitcast reel very well. Did I feel better afterwards?? Ahh yeah. Only done that once.

Ahh I'm good. Everything is fine. Just got to thinking about stuff. I am very happy as a general rule. Yesterday was a very good day with my lady's family. Laughing, telling stories, and I smoked a spiral ham on the grill. For the record... I haven't been on Facebook but one time in the last 8 yrs... no Twitter, no snap crude, nothing. One of the best things I do like about here.. no fake friends. I respect that a lot. Part of why I articulated some of that stuff is my job. In healthcare you see people and circumstances from a very different perspective than most people. The connection with people is quite strong. Or at least it should be in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ha ha that awesome!!! I'm laughing. A lot. I don't care who you are .. that's funny. Rock on man.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Heck, I don't even have to admit it - my wife saw it fly (pretty good hang time too).

Haha I've been there done that too,MANY times!! :p

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ahh I'm good. Everything is fine. Just got to thinking about stuff. I am very happy as a general rule. Yesterday was a very good day with my lady's family. Laughing, telling stories, and I smoked a spiral ham on the grill. For the record... I haven't been on Facebook but one time in the last 8 yrs... no Twitter, no snap crude, nothing. One of the best things I do like about here.. no fake friends. I respect that a lot. Part of why I articulated some of that stuff is my job. In healthcare you see people and circumstances from a very different perspective than most people. The connection with people is quite strong. Or at least it should be in my opinion.

What do you do in healthcare ?

I agree with you about seeing different bad circumstances sick patients are in. I'm in healthcare also.

I work as a registered nurse Mr. Nice. Someone mentioned earlier about not having to make split second life or death decisions as is true in law enforcement positions. Well I will say that people in my position do hold life or death in their hands at times. I had a co worker who had given a patient IV morphine 2mg and the patient passed on 2 minutes later. It was rather hard on her thinking she caused it. That is not easy on anyone. I gave a patient 6 mg of IV morphine over 8 minutes. MANY people in my line of work give that in well less than half that time. But I didn't want to feel like my co worker did that time. So I took more than 2times the amount of time. I have to go home and feel all right with myself. That patient passed on 35 minutes later. This is not isolated incidents in what I do. No I am not being beaten up, have a gun pulled and fired at me. But it is still a HUGE deal in giving medications that are needed but can take someone out of here in short order. It is a huge responsibility. To do right by your residents/patients and also having to go home.. and feel all right with your decisions.

Fresh out of the hospital - I'm thankful too - they were awesome ...
(welcome was that first injection in the IV stream - much needed) ...

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Have to admit I'd have Wallyworld change my oil before I'd get all touchy-feely on the interwebs.. not sure why a guy would want/need to do it.

I agree. Not something I would recommend.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
What brought on all this introspection?

Too much egg nog?

First off... ^^^ LoL on the above, good comic relief !!

Secondly, bbhero, you're a good man and it simply sounds like to me you operate from an ethical/moral foundation but are subject to human emotions the same as anyone else. Clearly you have a career in Health Care and that is not an emotionally easy field to work in.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I work as a registered nurse Mr. Nice. Someone mentioned earlier about not having to make split second life or death decisions as is true in law enforcement positions. Well I will say that people in my position do hold life or death in their hands at times. I had a co worker who had given a patient IV morphine 2mg and the patient passed on 2 minutes later. It was rather hard on her thinking she caused it. That is not easy on anyone. I gave a patient 6 mg of IV morphine over 8 minutes. MANY people in my line of work give that in well less than half that time. But I didn't want to feel like my co worker did that time. So I took more than 2times the amount of time. I have to go home and feel all right with myself. That patient passed on 35 minutes later. This is not isolated incidents in what I do. No I am not being beaten up, have a gun pulled and fired at me. But it is still a HUGE deal in giving medications that are needed but can take someone out of here in short order. It is a huge responsibility. To do right by your residents/patients and also having to go home.. and feel all right with your decisions.

You sound like a very intelligent and introspective guy!

People not in healthcare, may trouble understanding what you say and how you feel.

I think those of us in healthcare that do deal with death have a greater appreciation of life, and also understanding of death and that death is necessary and natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back