Beginner to DIY - Buy both ramps and stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally ready to dive in and at least start trying to do my own basic maintenance. I realize I'd like try and get some learning out of the way with my 13 year old car, rather than something newer.

I'm trying to determine if it is worth buying both ramps and stands, and wonder what the more experienced folks say. Part of the reason I want to do things like OCs myself is because I am sick of having it take an hour at a local shop, when I can do it in half the time at home with better products.

Obviously I will need stands to rotate tires or try my hand at brakes, but ramps seem to be "safer" (especially for a beginner to all of this) and I could get to work nearly right away for something like an oil change by just driving up, rather than pulling out the jack and stands, and propping up each side. So I am thinking I should get both.

So what I am wondering is this: Am I giving the ramps too much credit for safety or about being that much easier to use? With coupon code I can get the 16000 rated Rhino Ramp for $38, so it isn't much of an extra cost. Or should I just place my order with US Jack for stands and find a decent floor jack and not bother eating up my garage's storage space with redundant ramps. Thanks for sharing your experience.

get ramps for oil changes and working with tires on.

jack stand are sometimes hard to work with if you dont want to dent your undercarriage it takes extra stuff like boards etc.

and if you dont know what you are doing it can be unstable.

for rotations get 2 good jacks you wont be under the car so its ok to use 2 jacks. just make sure you work on a flat surface.

something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html

is a good starter jack.. they are available for 79$ or so frequently.

the "bigred" at samsclub looked ok too for budget.

the cheaper jacks at AAP can be ok but not as stable. so get at least one good jack. and possibly one cheaper one for rotations.

I rotate lt truck tires also so I ended up with 2 better jacks just to have the right lift height.

Last edited:
They both have their places. For very basic engine stuff like oil changes, ramps are easier to work with than jack/stands. For wheels-off stuff like brakes, you absolutely need a jack/stands.

You really only need stands and a jcak, you can do everything with them. Ramps are quick and convenient for oil changes, as was pointed out above.

Every year, folks are crushed by a car that was not correctly supported. Make sure that you follow all the rules on using the ramps and stands; e.g. level ground, wheels chocked, two stands, never a jack alone....and while I use ramps for quick access under the car...there is always a stand under the car too, if I am getting under it...

Yes to all three!

Ramps have their time & place. Jacks & stands have their time and place. Sometimes you need all of them together.

My 2¢ - Rhino Ramps are great, but make sure they come with two rubber pucks before you pay for them. Once you get them home, glue the pucks in place so you won't lose them - I used black RTV which is holding up well several years on.

I have a set of 4 Harbor Freight 3 ton jack stands with the saddle protectors. They work well and are fairly beefy.

With a floor jack, you can't have one that's too big. I have two, actually. A small Craftsman 2-ton unit that is fairly flimsy and a big Arcan 3.5-ton one that is used almost exclusively once I bought it. The Arcan was $100 at Costco and worth every cent. Yes, it's heavy and a pain to roll around but it's very strong, stable and you can lift or lower the car as slowly or rapidly as you wish.

Get jack pads or saddle protectors for every one you have and you'll be much happier in the long run. Also helpful to have some chunks of 2x4 around for blocking.

Have you at least tried to see if you can get to the oil filter and drain plug *without* raising the car by judiciously turning the wheel in the correct directions? Depending upon your specific vehicle and your own build, it may be possible to do oil change while all the wheels are still on the ground. You don't really need your head under the filter or the drain plug. All you need is to be able to get the wrench and your hand to it. Often you can get to one from lying in the front of the car and to the other while on the side of the car.

I managed to find some old skool metal ramps on craigslist, beefy they are, tried the platic ones, just couldnt get my head around the fact that i was gonna be under a vehicle supported by plastic, plus, they kept shunting away from the tires when i tried to get on them.

I shudder to think of people with no experience jacking and jack standing a car for the first time, some people are just not meant to be doing this stuff, an appreciation of all things mechanical is needed!

IMO buy the ramps for oil changes as they basically pay for themselves in one or two changes.

When the time comes to do brakes (or better yet at a decent sale beforehand) buy the jack and stands which will absolutely pay for themselves on the first brake job.

Spend $40 or so and build your own ramps.

Google search site:bobistheoilguy.com "wood ramps" and you'll find all the threads on it, including some directions.

You will need a good set of jack stands and a jack for those times you need to do brakes, suspension work, and tire/wheel removals. Otherwise, ramps are easier to use, IMO. It helps to have a spotter assist you. My best advice is don't work alone, if possible, when going under a vehicle and make sure you are safe at all times.

DSC_1628.jpg

The above is a picture of one of my ramps.

To see the ramp people describe it you should put stands under your rocker panels where the ramps end. On a front heavy FWD car I don't see that doing much good. Chock a rear wheel while you're on ramps if you don't trust your e-brake (all the time). In theory when you're up top of your ramps the ramp wells would hold your car in neutral (!) something to try from the driver's seat to make sure you're sitting square before you apply your e-brake. Also give your bumper a good tug in every direction before you get under a car-- both on ramps or on stands. Beware hot asphalt as well; ramps and stands can sink into the stuff.

I like ramps b/c I'm not scraping paint off of or folding over my rocker pinch welds for dumb simple stuff like oil changes.

Good for you that you are taking the plunge. Your reasoning is sound.
Money saved is good, choice of parts and materials is better, and the satisfaction of having the job done right is priceless.
As your skills improve, the challenge of the type of job will increase. It's how we all learned. Your tool stash will swell too, and be aware of different ways of accumulating good tools other than direct purchase from the catalog. Yard sales adn estate sales are terrific opportunities. Flea markets maybe, depending on the karma. Stolen stuff seems to haunt.
Barter is really a good method to accumulate. Do work for others in exchange for their service or their tools. Sometimes
guys are ready to give it up, but don't want to see it walk away all at once. They are happy to see someone else pick up the torch.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You really only need stands and a jcak, you can do everything with them. Ramps are quick and convenient for oil changes, as was pointed out above.

Every year, folks are crushed by a car that was not correctly supported. Make sure that you follow all the rules on using the ramps and stands; e.g. level ground, wheels chocked, two stands, never a jack alone....and while I use ramps for quick access under the car...there is always a stand under the car too, if I am getting under it...

I have the Rhino Ramps 16,000 GVW. My driveway is concrete and they work great, no slipping when pulling up on them. As Astro14 said, when ever I get under a car with the wheels off the ground, whether on ramps or not, jack stands go under the car! You can't be to safe, many people every year get killed, and it only takes a minute to put the jack stands under the car.

I have all three as others have said. It looks like you are after the heavy duty ramps which are the ones to get. I would not use the lower rated ones.

I have Rhino ramps that I use for oil changes and have been pleased with them. They are light weight enough to pick up and get out of the way when not in use but strong enough for my Nissan 370Z's weight which isn't like pulling a Ford F350 up on them.
One trick that I learned since I have a slick cement garage floor is to take an old 30" x 48" or so rubber backed floor mat, slit it lengthwise and put a section under each ramp rubber side down. That will keep them from sliding forward when trying to drive up on the ramps.

You can do more with jack/stand. However, the ramps are more convenient for everything that does not need the wheels off.

I also Built wood ramps like bigmike. Theyre just a tad heavy being wood.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

DSC_1628.jpg

The above is a picture of one of my ramps.

I wish I am near you to steal your ramps.

Your ramps is like a piece of art !

Last edited:
I always place a stand under the car when I have it on ramps just as a safety feature, everything eventually fails and I don't want that ramp to fail with me under it.

Last edited:
Depending upon the vehicle (and you) you may be able to get under the vehicle with it just on the ground, in which case nothing is needed. I can with my Jeep and pickup. You just need to be able to reach the drain plug and filter if you get that from the bottom.

I have also pushed the tire under the suspension to hold the vehicle if the jack failed. How safe it that? Maybe not as safe as a jack stand, but seems somewhat safe to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back