Been changing my own oil for years and never knew or did this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Doug, how do you really feel?
I have to say it's that mentality that keeps the US automakers from becoming great again.
The "it's good enough" or "It's American, ****it" attitude belongs in the 1950's...

Toyota/Honda and others employ boatloads of Americans. They have created 100's of 1000's of jobs in the US.
You attitude is not only ridiculous, but frankly, idiotic.

I will guarantee my Toyotas will last longer and have fewer problems than the current batch of Big-3 cars. Too bad, but true.

Scott

I read something (cannot remember what or what vehicle it applied to) which stated that the dipstick should be removed when adding oil to prevent contamination of the PCV valve. (I'm not sure that contamination was the word they used but the implication seemed to be that the oil you're adding might get into the PCV valve if the dipstick isn't removed).

ScottB,

So what? I am a 1950's guy.

Could be that I am still a little sore about the Japanese war-machine trying to kill my Father and my Father-in-Law a few years back.

I have the same feelings about those who have tried to kill me.

Some things just will not change when you have been shot at.

Forgive, but never forget.

DougC,

So what? It will kill you, that's what. That kind of anger will eat you internally. I have many relatives that fought in WWI and WWII and Korea and Vietnam and the Gulf and now Iraq.

You gotta get over it eventually. Nobody tried to kill you - it was what you were representing - the USA in a war!

I had some relatives like you and they were bitter 'til the day they died - is it worth it?

Anyway. The Japanese are our friends, and they create a lot of employment for Americans while the US automakers continue to lay-off tens of thousands...

Scott

My wife is of Japanese ancestry Doug. My children can somehow take offense to your statements. Take it easy, my friend.

The big3 are in the toilet because of unions, bad management, stupidity and greed. Last time I checked those seem to be universal diseases.

What I find interesting is how most of the parts for my Pontiac car comes from overseas. For example, my Pontiac Sunfire the headlights say: Made in Germany, Engine made in Australia & put together in Germany(according to my web research). Before Australia I know GM had a plant in Mexico.

I don't see the harm in wanting to buy Made in USA though... I do that all the time when I go to Wal-Mart. As hard as it is to find something made in USA it is a good feeling knowing that money is going back into US hands.

ScottB has a good point, tho. Honda, Toyota have produced a lot of jobs for US Citizens. I am one of them. My first job was working at a factory in Iowa making doors for Honda & Toyota. We were using US Steel too.

Large amounts of my cars are made in Canada and Mexico. I really hate these foreign cars.. Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth..
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just changed the oil in the Explorer and didn't see any difference with refilling flow of oil through a funnel with the dipstick out.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Doug C:
Wow, I am shocked. I thought that the Nissan/Infinity/Lexus/Toyota vehicles were SUPPOSED to be soooo perfect. I can't imagine that the enigineers who are so smart messed up on the dipstick.

Wow, what else did they mess up?

Make mine American, by American workers, in American plants with money staying in American.

With all of the problems, warts and all, I still prefer a GM or Ford over ANY foreign product.

No, I do not consider a Kia made in an American plant an American product. It's still a foreign car.

Oh here we go again. I'm with Pablo on this. Yep, my G35 has an issue or two, but far fewer than any of the domestics I've owned. So the VQ35 has a semi-frustrating/semi-amusing issue with the dipstick -- so what. You've got to add about two litres of displacement before you find a domestic engine that's on par with the VQ's output, and there aren't any domestics that come close to it on NVH. And just look at GM's 3.5L V-6 -- the VQ35 outperforms it by approximately 70 hp and 70 ft-lb (approx, since the VQ comes in different trims, depending upon application).

Domestics are in no way, shape, or form "bad" cars -- they're just consistently about a decade behind their competition. Inexcusable.

Doug, I am a Colonel in the Marine Corps. Not only have I earned the right to buy whatever darned car I can afford, but I've had the chance, through experience, to see how baseless sentiments like those you expressed really are. I've spent a long time in Japan and worked with many Japanese. Like us, for the most part, they're good people, and also like us, they have their quirks. Before and during WW2, they were dominated by an extremist government, but being loyal countrymen, they did what they were asked/told. Newsflash: the guys who built my Infiniti were not the same ones shooting at your relatives. My grandfather had a couple destroyers shot from under him by the Japanese -- he got over it, and so have I.

You can have your choice, whatever it may be, that's what this country is all about. But if you want to catch me in my V-6 powered choice, you'll need a much-more-expensive 'vette or Caddy CTS-V to do it.
cheers.gif

If your Pontiac Sunfire has the Ecotec, it was almost certainly manufactured in Tonawanda, NY.

There are only three plants that make the Ecotec that I know of, and the other two are in Spring Hill, TN (for Saturn), and Kaiserslautern, Germany (for Saab and Opel, probably).

And I managed to correctly spell the name of that German city without looking it up
smile.gif

I think just about any car made in the last 10 years ought to make it to at least 200K.

quote:

quote:When refilling oil, remove dipstick to provide adequate venting.

Why?

Air pressure from the crankcase does not ventilate past the piston rings or into the PCV system?

This one's got me stumped. What does the PVC system have to do with draining the oil?

I leave the oil fill cap off when draining the oil in the hope that it will drain just a bit faster and get a comple of drops more oil out of the engine. I though I was picky until I read the above post about wiping the oil off the dip stick when doing an oil change. I has got me thinking though. I wonder if hooking the exhaust on my shop vac to the the oil fill hole, with a good tape seal, will blow some extra oil out the drain plug hole. After all there is a filter in the shop vac and the air should be clean. I could save a HEPA grade filter, just for oil changes. I could start it and check the progress after ten minutes or so, and if there are no more drops coming out, I'm done.
cheers.gif

"I wonder if hooking the exhaust on my shop vac to the the oil fill hole, with a good tape seal, will blow some extra oil out the drain plug hole. After all there is a filter in the shop vac and the air should be clean. I could save a HEPA grade filter, just for oil changes. I could start it and check the progress after ten minutes or so, and if there are no more drops coming out, I'm done."

That would be pretty hard core Larry.
cheers.gif

For some real velocity, why not funnel down and filter a leaf blower.

I, however, don't think it is a good idea to blow anything into the oil fill hole except fresh oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back