Been changing my own oil for years and never knew or did this

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by norseman:
I didn't mean to come off so harsh. Sorry about that.

You didn't, at least not to me norse
grin.gif
. I'm actually happy to know that my car is mostly made in USA. Thats why I bought American. So, you made my day!
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

cheers.gif

I've had the good fortune of changing my own oil since joining BITOG. At least with my car I notice a very little difference with draining oil with the oil cap off/on. Theoretically, it has to help to have the oil cap off (think of putting a hole in an Arrowhead 2.5gal water container).

BUT - at my old job changing oil - on the older cars, taking off the oil cap considerably sped up the oil draining process.

As for the dip stick... I'll try that next time I change my oil (having it out). Because the dipstick goes right into the pan (right?) it should help the draining process go faster.

Ekpolk,

A better engine comparison would be GM's 3.6L V6. The 3500 is OHV with no VVT, not even in the same class as the VQ35. The 3.6L is DOHC and has VVT, like the VQ35. The numbers on the 3.6 are 255 hp at 6200 rpm, 252 lb-ft. at 3100 rpm on the CTS vs. 280 hp at 6200 rpm and 270 lb-ft at 4800 rpm on the automatic G35 sedan. The power is still less, but not nearly 70 hp less.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
Ekpolk,

A better engine comparison would be GM's 3.6L V6. The 3500 is OHV with no VVT, not even in the same class as the VQ35. The 3.6L is DOHC and has VVT, like the VQ35. The numbers on the 3.6 are 255 hp at 6200 rpm, 252 lb-ft. at 3100 rpm on the CTS vs. 280 hp at 6200 rpm and 270 lb-ft at 4800 rpm on the automatic G35 sedan. The power is still less, but not nearly 70 hp less.

Matt:

You are correct, except for the VVT part -- the GM 3500 is also a VVT engine. I guess what I was really trying to say is exactly that they're not in the same class, and in my mind, that's a huge part of the problem. IMO, there's just no reason for GM to be offering these retro engines when the competition has left them so far behind. Sure, the GM engines are very serviceable, and do have some advantages, but when the newly released 07 Camry's V-6 (now a DOHC 3.5L too) is cranking out 268 hp, the Chevrolet Malibu's 211 hp seems pretty weak (the disparity between the 4-cyl versions is there, but much less pronounced). The mileage edge the GM cars used to have is gone too -- the 07 Camry V-6 is now up to 31 mpg hwy, just like it's GM competition. I would love to see GM's very nice DOHC V-6 taking a much more prominent position in the GM lineup.
cheers.gif

Edited for typo.

[ March 15, 2006, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

quote:

This one's got me stumped. What does the PVC system have to do with draining the oil?

By definition, the PCV system is basically an air passageway from the crankcase to the intake manifold for the purpose of ventilating combustion chamber blowby, back out of the crankcase.

In general, a PCV valve is mounted between the intake manifold & the crankcase. It is pulled close by high manifold vacuum, such as at idle or low rpm speeds.

When the engine is off, the PCV is not closed entirely and does allow air back into the crankcase - enough flow to provide relief for the vacuum pressure generated by draining the crankcase oil.

I have noticed on my DOHC V6 the oil takes a lot onger [than on my older 8 valve engines] to drain down to the sump after shutting down the engine. At least 15 minutes are required to get a correct oil level reading and opening the oil filter cap does seem to speed up the process a bit.

As far as the dip-stick, i've never noticed a problem when re-filling the engine on any of my cars with the dip-stick inplace or slightly raised.

My only gripe with dip-sticks is some cars that have plastic dip-sticks. My old mazda had a plastic one that always felt fragile. Fortunatly my new mazda has a traditional aluminum one.

Hmm, Saabs have a horrible filler dipstick and in more recent models, a horrible PCV system. No wonder it takes so long to refill with oil.

I can see how this is an issue minus PCV. Anyone have one of those tubs they drain oil into w/ the central hole then the breather off to the side? If you forget to open the breather hole, you stand a very good chance of having a lot of oil on your garage floor/driveway.

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
did read the "WHOLE" thread and ???????????????????????????????????

Well, if you have some confusion, then why don't you try articulating it in, you know, words. Words are these little combinations of characters that, when arranged intelligently, give others some idea of the concept you're trying to convey. . . Dragging one's knuckles and grunting, even in electronic form does not add much to the discussion.
rolleyes.gif

I'll just leave the WORDS(3pages so far) to all the ones who have chimed in on this tread so far. .....GM-Toyota-in the toilet-G35's-pcvalves-made in Germany-made in Canada-Dodge-made in America-made in Mexico-hepa filters-Pontiac-hate for foreign cars.... etc,etc,etc and to think this all started out on the discussion of dipsticks!! take care signed:"dragging knuckles & grunting"

Thanks. Now that you mention it (in words
wink.gif
), I'd have to agree that this one has gone a bit far afield. In defense of the G35 part of it, I think it was worth mentioning that there are several hundred thousand cars on the road (all VQ powered Nissans and Infinitis) for which one had better not leave their sticks out while adding oil (unless they want to clean up a big mess...). I am guilty as charged with respect to taking that guys bait when he compared domestics and imports. Distractions aside, some interesting facts have come out in this thread. All my cars (except my present one) have taken their oil without any fuss. I had never considered how the PCV system might come into play in other cars.
cheers.gif

My wife is of Japanese ancestry Doug. My children can somehow take offense to your statements. Take it easy, my friend.

The big3 are in the toilet because of unions, bad management, stupidity and greed. Last time I checked those seem to be universal diseases.

You do speak the truth, Pablo, but for one thing.
The "Big Three" are now Toyota, Honda and Nissan..
IMO, the American car-makers are in serious trouble; they have been trying to play "catch-up" for too long.
I do fear for my country; IMO, all should.
The trade imbalance has been negative for us for far too long.
What are the consequences ??

BTW, back on subject, believe it or not most of the older funnels are defective in design ! A well designed funnel will fit a bit loose, allowing venting as the oil flows down. Older ones will fit tight, not allowing the contents to flow easily.
Maybe the same applies to some engines. Automotive engineers(the good ones) are still learning the important details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back