Beechcraft 390 Crash In Malaysia 17-Aug-2023

I hate to see this, what an absolute disaster. As corporate jets are my world, things like this tend to really bother me. It is not lost on me that the US based major airlines are the truly capable professionals. The farther we get from that, the higher the risk, the lower the safety record, and the lower the overall professionalism.

I have no idea what happened, or even if it was preventable. These small jets can fly just fine and are very easy to manage on one engine, and based on the fireball, they had fuel. Even so, did they get too slow and stall, roll over and pay the price?

Looks like too steep high speed stall. This shouldn't have happened. From my aviation classes a number of my professors were either current (furloughed) or retired Airline pilots or retired military pilots. From their and other sources your many times 10, 20x more likely to be injured or killed in an aviation accident with Russian, African, or South American Air carriers. For some reason many foreign air carriers don't seem to have the drive towards safety that North American European and many Asian carriers follow.

Just another note, flying a stabilized approach is a major factor in good landings, and overall safety. The reasons should be obvious, but to some, they are not. Insisting instead to maneuver near the airport, overfly the runway centerline and crank up the G's to get back on centerline. What could possibly go wrong?

Sad...

I have no knowledge of the details of this wreck, but I remember when the Premier first came out and there were a few landing incident locally, flown by owner/pilots. I was involved with our flight department at the time, and I remember discussing the Premier and the incidents with our Chief Pilot, a 15+k hr Viet Nam vet and someone I admire greatly. His words which stuck with me; "Swept wings are for the Pro's only..."

I hate to see this, what an absolute disaster. As corporate jets are my world, things like this tend to really bother me. It is not lost on me that the US based major airlines are the truly capable professionals. The farther we get from that, the higher the risk, the lower the safety record, and the lower the overall professionalism.

I have no idea what happened, or even if it was preventable. These small jets can fly just fine and are very easy to manage on one engine, and based on the fireball, they had fuel. Even so, did they get too slow and stall, roll over and pay the price?
Are you sawing that British Airways, Lufthansa and KLM are inferior to the US major carriers?

All major western airlines are the same, safety and professionalism wise with the exception of one which was criticized after a few incidents/accidents.

Same for many other counties airlines , but not as many.

The BEA criticizes Air France for non-compliance with protocols during flight incidents​

The BEA criticizes Air France for non-compliance with protocols during flight incidents

Air France is currently going through an area of turbulence. The French authority responsible for investigating plane accidents published a harsh report on Tuesday in which it underlined the recurrence of incidents in which safety rules were ignored by airline crews.
This report from the Bureau of Investigation and Analysis (BEA) is concerned about “a certain culture established among certain Air France crews which favors a tendency to underestimate the contribution of a strict application of procedures for safety” and calls on the company to “put compliance with procedures back at the center of the company’s safety culture”.

The example of an incident during a Brazzaville-Paris flight​

The BEA relies in particular on an incident that occurred on December 31, 2020 during a flight between Brazzaville, in the Republic of Congo, and Paris on board an Airbus A330. A fuel leak detected at cruising altitude led the crew to divert to N’Djamena airport, in Chad, but without observing the “FUEL LEAK” safety procedure which provides for the engine to be cut off on the side of the leak. This cut has also “voluntarily been omitted by the crew”, observes the report. “This decision thus created a significant risk of fire and led to a significant reduction in the safety margin of the flight, the fire having been avoided by chance”.
While the report highlights the “extremely limited” number of Air France flights giving rise to investigations, the BEA says it has observed “through a number of recent investigations (…) that the crews concerned had been able (…) free to carry out certain procedures in a compliant manner”. The organization cites, for example, a double incident on March 28 and 30, 2017 during which the same crew climbed too quickly in flight. Another fact: on September 12, 2020, an Airbus A318 “was freed from operational procedures in order to achieve a rapid arrival on the runway at Paris-Orly”. “During the final approach, the crew had very few resources to deal with a possible unforeseen event”.

Air France will initiate an audit​

The investigation office also wonders about certain sentences appearing in the Air France pilots’ operations manual such as: “knows how to deviate from the procedures in consultation with the crew when safety requires it” or “improvises in the face of to the unpredictable to obtain the surest result”. The BEA considers that Air France should rather “put compliance with procedures back at the center of the company’s safety culture”.
Air France, for its part, ensures that it takes into account all the recommendations of the report, specifying that some have already been implemented. The company undertakes, for example, to “provide pilots with tools allowing them to replay and analyze their flights”, as recommended by the BEA. Air France also states that an audit will be initiated within a few months “within the whole of the company” in order to “complete, if necessary, certain analyzes of this report”.

Last edited:
Are you sawing that British Airways, Lufthansa and KLM are inferior to the US major carriers?
Me: Honey, you look nice today
Wife: So what you are saying is that I looked terrible yesterday?
Me: .......... knowing I can't win a "so what you are saying is"

What I am saying is that there are clearly professional operations, with stellar safety. The major airlines would be my best example.

Me: Honey, you look nice today
Wife: So what you are saying is that I looked terrible yesterday?
Me: .......... knowing I can't win a "so what you are saying is"

What I am saying is that there are clearly professional operations, with stellar safety. The major airlines would be my best example.
That‘s not what you stated Initially.

That‘s not what you stated Initially.
Sorry for not speaking as accurately as I could have. Clearly you brought up examples that include a near perfect level of safety.

Once again, this is not a urine distance contest. My opinion as an aviation professional is just that, an opinion. I don't work for the FAA or NTSB and do not have a way to determine if an airline with zero accidents or incidents somehow falls short of another with zero accidents or incidents.

I was on a JetBlue flight, commuting my normal route. The captain made maybe 5 or more announcements to buckle up, as severe turbulence was reported by aircraft ahead. The crew did the best they could making sure folks were belted in, but it got rough, FAST. As you might imagine, there were 7 minor injuries, and one lady with a broken arm, as the non-belted went flying about. Was this the fault of JetBlue for knowingly flying into turbulent weather? Or are the injured responsible for failing to wear seat belts?

I don't have the answers and don't want to sound like I do. Only a opinion.

Even so, when I see a business jet operator (I am one) flying like an idiot, and paying the ultimate price, it hurts. My intended point was simply that you don't see the airlines doing this. I'll try to be more clear next time.

Sam, are you an aviation professional? If so, what are your thoughts on this crash?

2 of our planes:

KyiU1W5.jpg

Back