Worthless headline for almost everyone, home sales could plunge in 2023

My nephew was recruited to Silicon Valley out of college - $175K a year - masters in engineering and top of his class so I assume everyone doesn't make that, but him paying $400K would be the same as the average South Carolina Engineering grad making $70K and paying say around $160K for their first shack. You would think nothing of it.

I'd take the $70k/yr and $160k home, but that's just me. I would absolutely hate living in Silicon valley. WAY too many people and congestion. 5,774 people per square mile vs 51 people per square mile where I live. lol It would do me no good to have the higher income if I have no quality of life. I like my seclusion and tranquility.

I was stationed in Monterey for 1.5 years. It was fun for about a month, then I couldn't wait to get out of there. The congestion aside, it's the only place and time I was ever spit on for the sole reason of being in the military. I'll never go back.

You would be lucky to find a nice one at 400K. The good school district one I bought back in 15 was like 970k and the typical ones back then was 700k. Between the 2 I'd say the 70K grad buying 160K home is the luckier one, but eventually, one day when he wants to make more he may want to get a 300K job and buy a 2M house here.
Make no mistake, 160K here would be a shack. But he is a single guy so school district doesn't matter. My understanding - I don't talk to him directly so I get this from my wife, is he doesn't love it there - not enough pretty girls - too many dudes.

As for me, they probably don't need my skillset and I don't like crowds, but since I am old and married I could bring my own pretty girl. Maybe I should look into it.

Make no mistake, 160K here would be a shack. But he is a single guy so school district doesn't matter. My understanding - I don't talk to him directly so I get this from my wife, is he doesn't love it there - not enough pretty girls - too many dudes.

As for me, they probably don't need my skillset and I don't like crowds, but since I am old and married I could bring my own pretty girl. Maybe I should look into it.
Not sure where your nephew is, but we have lots of pretty girls. And they are smart and educated and wonderful.
I wouldn't live anywhere else. I flat out love it here. You probably noticed that.

I'm not sure where we're talking about at the end of this thread, but we just went to my uncle's 90th bday in NYC. My cousin lives in Los Gatos, CA. He's late 40's and never married, said the area isn't the greatest for socialization. He's highly intelligent so maybe that's part of it--extremely selective. Again I'm not him and can't get into his mind but in the east, my wife's cousin stated he seemed very arrogant and elitist. Whether or not that fits in, or doesn't, I don't know and can't say. Just that it doesn't "appear" northeastern, which is where he grew up.

I'm not sure where we're talking about at the end of this thread, but we just went to my uncle's 90th bday in NYC. My cousin lives in Los Gatos, CA. He's late 40's and never married, said the area isn't the greatest for socialization. He's highly intelligent so maybe that's part of it--extremely selective. Again I'm not him and can't get into his mind but in the east, my wife's cousin stated he seemed very arrogant and elitist. Whether or not that fits in, or doesn't, I don't know and can't say. Just that it doesn't "appear" northeastern, which is where he grew up.
Los Gatos is an extremely friendly town. In fact. Silicon Valley as a whole is a huge melting pot of people from over the globe coming here to be part of the tech development and, of course, opportunity. It don't get much better; ask people who live here.
Hopefully your cousin finds his way to improved socialization. Right now I gotta beat my neighbors off who are trying to give me stuff. Ha!

Los Gatos is an extremely friendly town. In fact. Silicon Valley as a whole is a huge melting pot of people from over the globe coming here to be part of the tech development and, of course, opportunity. It don't get much better; ask people who live here.
Hopefully your cousin finds his way to improved socialization. Right now I gotta beat my neighbors off who are trying to give me stuff. Ha!
Makes me wonder, if a person has an advanced degree with a < 5% acceptance for undergrad, wouldn't they come across as elitist and entitled to be as such to normal people? Do they need to dummy themselves down for the rest? :ROFLMAO:

Makes me wonder, if a person has an advanced degree with a < 5% acceptance for undergrad, wouldn't they come across as elitist and entitled to be as such to normal people? Do they need to dummy themselves down for the rest? :ROFLMAO:
A degree does not make one an elitist. I am not sure who you mean by "normal people"?

Back