Bee problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You already figured it out, but they aren't bees. Yellowjackets. Pretty common for them to make nests in any crevice they can gind on a home.

Persistent use of the sprays will eventually get them, but it takes some time, and a lot of spray.

Pain in the rear end. I usually end up with one nest a year on the house in non-caulkable locations, but got two this year...

probably the professional product that Char Baby mentioned is best since it will get tracked to the nest. sealing the entrance alone wont help - they will probably do anything to get to it. I had problems 2X with a large quantity of flying, stinging things (hornets, wasps, yellwojackets - I dont recall which) building a large nest behind my siding and they got into the framing behind the drywall. (you could put your ear up the wall - and the noise was frightening!) I took a bug bomb, duct taped it to a broom handle, and held it up to their entrance hole. it worked for me. no return problem for a couple of years. when I installed new siding and rebuilt the porch I found their HUGE nest.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Use causion in the area.
Those things are very agressive and will come along and sting you for no reason, especially in the vicinity of their nest.

Yeah, no kidding. I disturbed their nest last year while mowing the lawn (the nest was somewhere near the ground by the neighbor's fence) and had multiple stings to show for it.
smile.gif

It's why I'm trying to be careful this time.

Last fall, I mowed over a nest without knowing it until later.
I wondered why these things were all over me.
They were flying up the legs of my shorts as well as the arms of my tee shirt.
I got stung a number of times and killed a number by smashing them through the fabric of my clothes.
I endured this with no ill effects and finished mowing the lawn.
The sequel came this year on July 1st.
I was stung by only one of these little devils and ended up in the hospital with anaphylactic shock.
Be very careful!

Originally Posted By: R80RS
I've had very good results from the products I get from domyownpestcontrol.com. They sell professional grade products, which I find are more effective than retail pesticides.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/wasps-hornets-c-25.html

I've had a similar experience with this place:
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/

The stuff I buy is banned in some states.
smile.gif

Something like F-Fense SC or Cy-Kick CS should work.

Homeowner stuff purchased from the hardware store should work in a pinch until you get the good stuff online or from an ag supplier.

Spray late at night when they are least active. I'd soak the heck out of that area.

my son mowed across an in-ground nest. somehow he escaped injury. I, however, got stung multiple times and chased (they naturally go for your head) when I tried to retrieve the mower. I tossed two bug bombs into the hole and dropped a piece of plywood over it.

last year I had a large problem with them enjoying my pear tree. I suited up with thick clothing, gloves, and very methodically cut down the pear tree. not alot of fun - but somehow I escaped getting stung.

Last time I had yellowjackets get under the siding, survivors where making their way inside the house after spraying outside. There were one or two inside everyday for about a week. Very annoying for me, but the cat was having great fun with them.

If you end up with nest inside of something, and they keep returning after you've sprayed, I read that if you plug the hole with fine steel wool, they will try to eat through it and it poisons them. I had yellow jackets make a nest under my driveway once, and I could spray the heck out of it, but I'd see them again weeks later. Never saw them again when I plugged it up with steel wool

I am a beekeeper and I can tell you that those pictured are not bees, rather , wasps. Yellow jackets to be exact. Very ill tempered.

Whatever you do, go for it at night or in the wee house of the morning before light and when cool. That is the time they will be least active. Wear a jacket and long pants. I also recommend eye protection just in case. Have an escape route planned. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K3P...QJRC9H6BS15CJB0

22 feet it says on the bottle. I believe I used that stuff a few years back and it indeed has long range.

Thanks!

You can get that stuff anywhere. Home Depot/Lowes, Walmart/Target/Kmart, hardware store, grocery store, gas station, etc.

Give them a good spray and then get away quickly. I've had to spray quite a few wasp nests around our house this year, and this method seems to work well.

Pretty sure I learned the following from this forum-and it works like a charm.
Spray any area wasps like to build at with WD-40 every couple months: they hate the smell and will NOT build where it is. Seriously: I haven't had a nest in my shed for at least 5 years now. I do first spray when low temps start to be into the 40s, and renew every 6-8 weeks or so.
Other than diesel starter-fluid, that's the only thing I find WD usefull for. Oh, wait: removing bumper sticklers.
YMMV.
Scot

Originally Posted By: raytseng
FYI
If you do have (honey) bees, don't call an exterminator or use poisons.
We (the world) have a bee shortage, and colonies are collapsing

Look in the yellowpages or the internet specifically for a beekeeper or even amateur beekeeping hobby group in your area. (Google beekeeping+ your area).

They will come and take your bees, often for free or discounted price as they will use the colony and give it a home. At least give them a call. If you want, they will also give you any of the house's honey that your bees made that is accessible.

+100000 We do a ton of gardening and try to let some things go to seed each year, so bees are incredibly valuable. But Im pretty sure those arent, per my earlier post.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: raytseng
FYI
If you do have (honey) bees, don't call an exterminator or use poisons.
We (the world) have a bee shortage, and colonies are collapsing

Look in the yellowpages or the internet specifically for a beekeeper or even amateur beekeeping hobby group in your area. (Google beekeeping+ your area).

They will come and take your bees, often for free or discounted price as they will use the colony and give it a home. At least give them a call. If you want, they will also give you any of the house's honey that your bees made that is accessible.

+100000 We do a ton of gardening and try to let some things go to seed each year, so bees are incredibly valuable. But Im pretty sure those arent, per my earlier post.

That's what my dad did. He had a huge honey bee colony take refuge in the roof overhang on his house. He had a bee guy come harvest the bees to keep/raise them for his bee farm.

If they are Yellow Jackets you can get some wasp spray and wait until night (they can't see very good at night) and spray the nest. But it is dangerous. Yellow Jackets can kill a person with their stings. I sprayed a nest at night with good quality wasp spray and it did not do much good. I had to call an exterminator. I was able to get rid of one nest which had just barely been established and there were few workers.

Trust me-you don't want to be stung by a Yellow Jacket. I was stung by one and it really, really hurts. And several Yellow Jackets could kill a human being.

If it is honey bees see if you can call a bee keeper. Honey bees are very useful insects. They are critical for agriculture. A bee keeper might be willing to take the bees away for you.

Yellow Jackets don't live thru the winter. (the Queen will die). Just let them alone, for now. This winter, just plug the hole so that no more will come back next year.

You always spray a wasp nest, etc after dark when all insects are on the nest, you will not get stung and they ALL will die.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Yellow Jackets don't live thru the winter. (the Queen will die). Just let them alone, for now.

I wish I could, but the house is on the market and I've got plenty of showings, and people with small kids coming through that main door... I can't have wasps there.

Quote:

You always spray a wasp nest, etc after dark when all insects are on the nest, you will not get stung and they ALL will die.

I sprayed at 5:30 am when it was just starting to dawn. But all I could do is spray at that gap between brick and siding. I have no idea how many are inside - I'm sure the spray did not reach them all.

You need the foam, that's what I use at our cottage. Comes in a purple and silver can, you stick the little end up into the crack and spray like a boss and it goes all mono-foam on them, covering and killing as it goes. It also leaves a lethal residual that if they walk through, will kill them.

We get plenty of hornet, wasp, yellow jacket and ground bee nests in Muskoka, and this stuff works like a champ.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You need the foam, that's what I use at our cottage. Comes in a purple and silver can,

Do you know what it's called?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You need the foam, that's what I use at our cottage. Comes in a purple and silver can, you stick the little end up into the crack and spray like a boss and it goes all mono-foam on them, covering and killing as it goes. It also leaves a lethal residual that if they walk through, will kill them.

We get plenty of hornet, wasp, yellow jacket and ground bee nests in Muskoka, and this stuff works like a champ.

+1 on the foam! Especially in a crack, on your house, next to the main door situation like this. If you cover the crack in foam, the little #$%^@'s will cover themselves in it when trying to escape, ensuring their quick demise. Foam-type bomb is readily available down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back