Bedliners for p/u trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my new 2006 Sierra and even though I did not ask for it it came with a black plastic GM bedliner. I refused to pay for it and so the dealer gave it to me for free. My only concern is the moisture that gets trapped between the liner and the bed. I park on a downhill slope and water is going to get underneath the liner at the back. I plan on keeping the truck for about fifteen years. Will I have issues with a lot of rust underneath the liner? BTW here is a link to a previous post I had regarding purchase of the truck.http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=003265

I've been a truck owner my whole life, you need a spray on. Linex is the best but FMS is very close to being the same thing but is 1/2 the price. You need to get either one of these, they stay looking good for life and they still hold a load well. Rhino lining will hold the load slightly better but will look like absolute sh*t in less than 6 mos. Check the Nissan Titan spray liner, it is similar to Linex/FMS.

If you want to save money try getting a heculiner and doing it yourself, it is better than Rhino lining but not as goos as FMS or Linex. We have a FMS installer in Santa Rosa and I will put that in every truck I get in the future. I miss by bedliner more than I miss my old truck, lol. I have extensive experiencxe with all these linings. My brother was jealous as **** when he saw my FMS because he had Rhino ****. FMS or Linex is a one time installation and will never chip or crack, it is the perfect liner. FMS was slightly cheaper than Rhino when I got it installed but now it runs about 350 and linex last time I checked was 700. Hope this was helpful.

[ September 02, 2006, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Shelby ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shelby:
I've been a truck owner my whole life, you need a spray on. Linex is the best but FMS is very close to being the same thing but is 1/2 the price. You need to get either one of these..

That's debatable. I've owned 3 different trucks and had 3 different style liners. First truck was an over-rail drop in, Second truck was an under rail drop in, and my last I pulled the OEM under rail and paid big bucks for a linex job. Linex is great & looks awesome, but it will gouge and it will not absorb shock like a drop in does. Drop a brick on a spray on & the bed will dent. Drop one on a liner, no dent. Drop in's will wear the paint off at contact points. I live in the rust belt & rarely do you see the beds rusted thru under the liner on even an old and beat truck. My father sold his plane-Jane 1990 Chevy W/T last year w/ 140Kmi. It was bought new and had an over-rail it's whole life. The body was shot, but it was still fine under the liner! If it's a work truck, I would suggest a drop in. Show truck? Spray on.

Joel

Good AND bad point... plastic liners are slipery. Can be handy when moving heavy stuff around the bed but can also be a drawback.

Paint wear at contact points already mentioned.

Can get brittle in extremely cold temps.

After extensive pondering I pondered some more. Then, I pondered.

Ultimately, I pondered a little more then arrived at a conclusion; I had to ponder this one more time.

Finally, reached a ponderous decision based upon prodigious amounts of the forementioned.... well,

Decided to not use a bed liner OR get the spray-on stuff.

"So, whatcha' do, Obbop?" I assume the multitude is shouting out in rapt wonderment.

Well, I went down to the local Tractor Supply Store... a big hardware-type store, and bought one of those thick rubber mats that covers only the bed floor.

I cut it in the middle so it can be removed easily. This allows cleaning and to allow water to dry. When I need to be able to slide stuff semi-easily the matt comes out. Need stuff to stay in place with less sliding, in it goes.

Hauling branches? In, to protect the bed bottom.

In and out. Takes 30 seconds at most.

Not the perfect soultion but works for me.

Only cost $40 for a thick one.

I had my FMS sprayed in 1/4 inch thick and there was no way you could dent it. It all depends on if the dealer will work with you on thickness,unless of course it's Whino lining which is always thin, but if you tell them the only way you'll buy it is if they spray it 1/4 inch thick, then trust me they will. The entire purpose is to protect the bed from rust and looking like garbage. I have never had anyone I know happy with a plastic drop in, IMO even whino garbage is better than a plastic insert. Rubber is better than plastic drop ins too (I had one in my avalanche), but you have to be careful with sharp heavy type loads.

Glad you didn't pay for the plastic drop in. When you go to the Line-X dealer he won't charge you anything to dispose of it either.

I love my Line-X FWIW.

I have a 1992 Chevy sitting out it the yard with a plastic bedliner and there is not rust under it. I know that what everyone says but I have not experienced it and have been using them since they came out. The cab corners rusted out first. I have the GM one in my 2004, I only like the GM brand as they fit much better and have the GMC logo molding in.

The trouble with the spray-on's is that they are permanent. Also, they depend on the quality of the application. I have seen a couple over the last several years that have not held well and were coming off. Whenever the dealers see a truck come in for trade with a spray-on, they go to work to make sure it was not a contractor/logger type truck as they will often do that to hide box damage. Last I was looking that was the first thing I was asked about, spray-on liners are a 50/50 at sell time. Some want and other do not, so dealers go by experience and if they are deterent, your value will be less. Watch out buying used truck with new spray-on, they could be hiding something.

Do what you want but if you are not doing heavy hauling, I don't see the expense of a spray on being worht it. Expecially when you go to sell and the buyer does not want it, you can't take it out. Whats more the buyer is not going to give your extra for it, you won't pay extra so don't expect others to. In 15 yrs the truck won't be worth a dime more if it has a liner.

PS-I have also been truck onwer all my life, first new truck was a 1972 El Camino SS and then a 1975 GMC 4x4. Today a 2004 GMC.

[ September 03, 2006, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Spray-ons are not permanant unless you want them to be, they can be removed and they can be cut and repaired if need be. You need to go to a reputable dealer because the bed need to be scored well. If you take a grinder to your bed before getting it sprayed on, that thing is sticking period. I have been a truck driver for a period of 10 years and I have seen a lot of road. I have seen many liners come out and be sitting on the side of the road, they were always plastic drop ins and never a spray on.

You can believe this or not, I sold my Dodge cummins to a Ford dealer for more than I paid for it off the Dodge lot. I had to sell it after owning it for 6 mos because I couldn't shift it anymore because of a sore knee. The only upgrade I did was add a sprayon liner. I bought a Ford Expedition for 10k under MSRP or 23888. I bought the base Dodge for 26k and TRADED IT IN for 26.5k.

quote:

Originally posted by Shelby:
Spray-ons are not permanant unless you want them to be, they can be removed and they can be cut and repaired if need be...

I understand the repair part, had 'touch ups' done to my line-x without issue, but how are they not permanent? It would probably be cheaper and easier to replace the bed than remove a professional spray on job. When I had line-x done ~7yrs ago, they prep'd the bed by sanding all the pretty paint, they then do a thorough cleaning, masking, etc.. then on goes the spray. It would be major work and money to remove + you'd have to repaint.

Joel

I still have the factory "Pendaliner" in my F150 and I removed it last year to see what it looked like underneath and it was dirty but not a spot of rust. It also has little holes in the front of the bed for water to drain, so maybe that helps it out a lot. I dont expect this bedliner to just come flying out on the interstate either, it was work for me to take it out and I wanted it to come out.

I have seen bedliners on the side of the road too, but I can't see how an under the rail liner could come out very easily. I have a bed mat (40 bucks at Agri-Supply) in my 2001 Dodge and it works well for me. I prefer an under the rail drop-in liner and if the truck is used for construction or other heavy use.

I did the herculiner first, it looks great for about a week then fades dull. I took the truck to a LineX dealer and he said it wasnt a problem going right over the herculiner as long as it was prepped well. I personally did the prep and did a fantastic job. I was dissapointed when they were done, it wasnt as smooth as the lineX example they had out. He said it was becuase of the herculiner underneath and then said "Dont tell anyone its a LineX" Thats some pretty ****** service. It doesnt look bad by any means but if you arent going to stand behind your work, dont do it. What is FMS???? I will have to use them for my next project.

I think if you are going to keep a truck that long, a professionally sprayed on bedliner is worth it.

The problem is that the places that spray on the liners are franchises, so quality is not uniform across the board. A good shop will show you work they have already done and check out with the BBB.

I happened to find an excellent Line-X shop who did a top notch job with my liner. I got mine sprayed about two years ago, and it has held up well. I have carried car parts, s**** metal, concrete, mulch, rocks, mowers, you name it. The only damage I have had resulted from an unsecured Ford 9" axle housing. It took out a 1 cm chunk of liner. The Line-X place repaired it no questions asked, free of charge (lifetime warranty). The liner has faded some, but it does not look terrible. With some Mothers Back to Black it looks like new again.

Well I haven't posted in awhile. And this is something I can contribute to:
I had a under rail plastic liner in my '02 Tundra when new.
After a year I pulled it out for a Line-X.
The bed a had a few spots where the paint was rubbed away to metal.And alot of wood debris had worked up to the cab under the liner from hauling fire wood and logs.
In the previous truck I had a Rhino liner.
I did not like it at all.
The Line-x has taken a lot more abuse from metal being hauled.January I put a cap on is so now it got it easier.
My first truck(new'84 Ford) had a plastic liner that was limp and holy as a shop rag when I tossed it.
I would always take a Line-X over any other.
If I have the money.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
...I went down to the local Tractor Supply Store... a big hardware-type store, and bought one of those thick rubber mats that covers only the bed floor...

I have bought older trucks with these heavy, rubber floor mats and feel they work the best. They lay flat, and dont "chafe" the paint at all. Since they are heavy, and are rubber, they dont move at all. I always removed them to hose out the bed. But they can be quite heavy to move in and out.

I would never get another drop in, plastic lightweight bedliner that has to be bolted/attached in.

Do some Goggle searchs for such phrases as "spray on bedliners" and "drop in bed liners" and "pickup truck bedliners" and spend a lot of time reading the hits. That's what I did 3 1/2 years ago when I bought a new pickup. Then I got a spray-on, by Speedliner, which is similar to the Line-X. My research convinced me not to get a drop-in, for the reasons mentioned in prior posts. Too many trucks suffer from rubbed off paint and rust. They get brittle and warp. They don't look as good, etc.

There's numerous companies that do spray-ons. All of them, except Rhinoliner, use a urethane material and are similar to each other. Its extremely important to use a shop with experienced applicators. Some companies offer the liners in colors.

The spray-on's are highly dent proof. Anyone who says dropping a brick on it will dent it has never tried that. The liner is extremely tough and will withstand incredible abuse.

It can be sprayed on to different levels of smoothness or roughness. Ask the shop about that. The rougher, the less slippery. You want the tailgate sprayed smooth, since you probably sit on it. You also want the rail tops sprayed smooth, to decrease marking of or damage to anything you slide over the rails.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
...The spray-on's are highly dent proof. Anyone who says dropping a brick on it will dent it has never tried that. The liner is extremely tough and will withstand incredible abuse...

Ummm... yeah..
rolleyes.gif
It's been a few years since I had my (line-x'd) truck, but trust me. The sheet metal that a spray on is stuck to will dent. Smack it with something hard enough and the metal will deform. This process will happen easier with a spray on than with a drop in. Been there. Owned both. I'm not at all against a spray-on. I like them, but it's not the best for all applications.

G/luck
Joel

Dad had a bedliner in a 88 Dakota many years ago. He had it for 5-6 years and it never had any rust underneath. But the bedliner was made by Dakota specfically for the Dakota. I think that's the main difference in those with rust and those without. Grandpa had another Dakota with a aftermarket bedliner and it has some rust underneath.

As far as owning myself I won't. Those bedliner can get quite slippery and my head isn't as hard as it once was. I had a Rhino liner in my last truck and it was nice but it chipped easy and hard to move stuff when I wanted it to move. In my current truck I'm going to use a rubber mat so I can remove it easily.

"Ummm... yeah.. It's been a few years since I had my (line-x'd) truck, but trust me. The sheet metal that a spray on is stuck to will dent. Smack it with something hard enough and the metal will deform."

Well, of course if you smack a spray-on bedliner HARD ENOUGH, with something HEAVY enough, it will dent. My point is that with normal use, you won't smack it hard enough to dent it. I've used mine for over 3 years to haul all kinds of things, and it has no dents. And I USE my truck. Its not a city boy mall meanderer. I live in the country and my truck sees country use. When I installed a side mount truck box, which required mounting screws on the inside edge of the side rails, which had the spray-on bed liner on the side rails, I tried to start a hole to drill for the mounting screws. I used a 16 penny nail and a hammer to try to start the holes, and did not even dent the bedliner, much less dent the underlying metal edge of the bed rail. And I whanged on that hammer. I couldn't even see where the nail point hit the bedliner. It was that hard and tough, and NO dent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back