Beck Arnley Brake Pads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 2014 Infiniti Q50 3.7 AWD Premium and I need to replace my rear brake pads. I was looking on Amazon and I came across Beck Arnley 085 Series ASM (Application Specific Material) Ceramic Brake Pads for my car at an affordable price. Now I do know that Beck Arnley makes a multitude of different OEM-equivalent parts for most Nissan/Infiniti models, and I was able to find out that their 089 Series brake pads are basically just rebranded OEM brake pads (and are suppose to be highly-regarded by many), however I wasn't able to find much useful info on their 085 series brake pads and where they fit in.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with regards to the Beck Arnley 085 series brake pads? And if so, how do they compare to their 089 series OEM brake pads and other common brands such as Centric, Wagner, Bosch, Akebono, etc?

And finally, should I be considering any of the above-mentioned brands (or any other brands) over the Beck Arnley brake pads for my Infiniti Q50?

Thank you. Any info, comments, experience and/or feedback would be helpful.

Everyone says their parts meet or exceed specs.

We work on lots of G37s, Q50s, 350z and G35s. We have tried many different pads, but ultimately we have had the most consistent success with the factory-originals (grey box). The Centric 105s can work okay, but they do not offer the same level of performance.

Beck Arnley, when I remembered they made good parts either sourced pads from a Canadian manufacturer or sold the PBR/Axxis/Repco Australian-made pads for that application(the 087/089 series).

I assume the 085 series are made by ABS Friction in Canada or by BPI in China and now with Beck Arnley being a part of Federal-Mogul, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer runs of their pads are relabled Wagner which wouldn't be my first choice on an Japanese import. I would think they are comparable to the premium tiers of Centric/Bosch/Wagner/Raybestos.

If you can get the edge codes off the pads and run that against AMECA's listing of edge codes, that would give you some insight to the manufacturer of the pads.

I would vouch for OEM pads, Akebono ProACTs or Nissan's Value Line would be an acceptable choice. Aftermarket can be hit or miss on Japanese cars, I know someone who had Wagner's QuickStop series on a Frontier without any issues but I've had nothing but clunks with their ThermoQuiet series on Toyotas. Some here have luck with AutoZone's Duralast Gold Ceramic/CMax which are made in India by Roulunds Braking and many here vouch for Wagner ThermoQuiets.

Thanks for the info guys.

Btw, after searching on the full version of the Beck Arnley website, I was able to figure out that the 085 series are also being called "TRUE Friction" series. I was able to find some basic info on them here:
http://www.beckarnley.com/products/brakes-chassis/truebrakingseries/truefriction/

They appear to have some good features, but I still can't find any detail spec sheets or anything like that. I will try to find some more info.

And btw, last year I replaced the front factory pads and rotors with Centric 105 PosiQuiets pads and Centric Premium E-Coating rotors and found them to be decent but certainly not above-average in any area other than quietness. They have remained quiet but their initial bite, fade resistance and overall braking performance aren't quite as good as the factory OEMs that were originally on there. Which is also why I've been looking at other options for my rear brakes.

I also saw Bosch Quietcast brake pads on Amazon for a good price, although I have no experience with any Bosch brake components, however they do seem to get primarily good reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience or helpful info on the Bosch Quietcast pads (or any other Bosch pads)?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I was under the impression that B/A auto parts including brakes, are repackaged OE parts "when possible".

Agree. I don't think B/A makes anything. They sell repackaged parts from other manufacturers, including OEM.

I learned with a 2002 Camry DD that BA makes quality parts. The BA dog bone mount was the only mount that Camry could not reduce to dust in months. I would try the brake pads. But I do prefer Akebono pads. Can't explain why, but they stop my heavy SUV faster than any other ceramic.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I was under the impression that B/A auto parts including brakes, are repackaged OE parts "when possible".

Agree. I don't think B/A makes anything. They sell repackaged parts from other manufacturers, including OEM.

That's my understanding too. No manufacturing of their own. Everything that is branded Beck Arnley is rebranded product from another manufacturer, although I hadn't heard that it was OEM necessarily.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: knerml

That's my understanding too. No manufacturing of their own. Everything that is branded Beck Arnley is rebranded product from another manufacturer, although I hadn't heard that it was OEM necessarily.

Right, not everything is OE as I listed in my first reply, "when possible".
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I decided to order the Beck Arnley 085 Series "TRUE Friction" brake pads.

Although I wasn't able to find out who actually makes them I was able to find enough general info on them to determine that they're most likely good quality pads, so I will give them a try.

I will give an update after I have them installed.

The only Beck/Arnley pads I would buy would be 089 (the actual OE pads) or 088 (Axxis Deluxe or Ultimate)

For the B/A Axxis pads, they all start with 088, but the part number ends in D for the Deluxe pads, C for the Ultimate ceramic pads, and M for the Metal Master XBG. For example:
088-1234D is Axxis Deluxe
088-1234C is Axxis Ultimate
088-1234M is Axxis Metal Master
(where 1234 is the placeholder for the actual part number/application)

Otherwise, I'd get Akebono, Advics, or EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff. Wagner Thermoquiet is also good sometimes, and often on rebate too.

The True Friction 085- pads seem like something very close to, if not identical to, the Toyota TCMC and Nissan Value Line pads

I just got the 085 series pads in the mail. They say Beck Arnley on the shims, but the numbers on the side of the pads are:

BA CER FF 011418 B 18

Now I know that obviously the BA would stand for Beck Arnley, the CER is for ceramic, and the FF is the friction rating. So I would assume the rest of it would indicate who actually makes the pads. It says on the sticker on the box that they're made in China (but I've been told that most pads are made in China nowadays).

Does anyone know who actually makes these pads? And is the FF friction rating good for a ceramic pad?

Ok I had them installed today, and my initial impression is quite good overall. The pads are silent and smooth, and they have a strong bite to them. In fact, they don't feel much different than the previous OEM pads (which I believe are made by Advics).

Of course the true test will be how they perform after they acrue some mileage, but as of right now I don't have anything negative to report.

But I'm still very curious to find out who a actually makes these brake pads. I tried searching with the numbers listed on the side of the pads but I wasn't able to find even a hint as to who actually manufactures these pads. One thing that does seem odd is if Beck Arnley doesn't actually manufacture any parts then why would their brand name be printed on the shims? It's just confusing to me, and I can't seem to find any info as to who actually makes these 085 Series "TRUE Friction" pads. Does anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Patrick_C

And btw, last year I replaced the front factory pads and rotors with Centric 105 PosiQuiets pads and Centric Premium E-Coating rotors and found them to be decent but certainly not above-average in any area other than quietness. They have remained quiet but their initial bite, fade resistance and overall braking performance aren't quite as good as the factory OEMs that were originally on there. Which is also why I've been looking at other options for my rear brakes.

I also saw Bosch Quietcast brake pads on Amazon for a good price, although I have no experience with any Bosch brake components, however they do seem to get primarily good reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience or helpful info on the Bosch Quietcast pads (or any other Bosch pads)?

For this exact reason, we never used the 105's for the front. We only use factory-original (not even the Infiniti Maintenance Advantage Line). However, using aftermarket on the rear pads only has a minimal impact on brake performance.

We have not used the Bosch pads but I understand that they are one of the few companies using a copper-free formula.

Originally Posted By: Patrick_C
Ok I had them installed today, and my initial impression is quite good overall. The pads are silent and smooth, and they have a strong bite to them. In fact, they don't feel much different than the previous OEM pads (which I believe are made by Advics).

Of course the true test will be how they perform after they acrue some mileage, but as of right now I don't have anything negative to report.

But I'm still very curious to find out who a actually makes these brake pads. I tried searching with the numbers listed on the side of the pads but I wasn't able to find even a hint as to who actually manufactures these pads. One thing that does seem odd is if Beck Arnley doesn't actually manufacture any parts then why would their brand name be printed on the shims? It's just confusing to me, and I can't seem to find any info as to who actually makes these 085 Series "TRUE Friction" pads. Does anyone have any ideas?

The numbers of the BA pads do not match up to anything on the AMECA document. I have had a similar issue with the WBR pads. So, we may never find out. Many aftermarket part brands are having a 3rd party mfg overseas produce parts under their own label, so that may be the case here.

Also, the OE pads on your car (they were probably the blue ones with a part # ending in -1MB0A) are made by Akebono. The ears of the pads say AK on them. I just installed a set of these blue pads along with a shim kit and new rotors on a G25 yesterday. You certainly did a lot better price-wise; my parts bill alone was about $220.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea who manufactures or knowledge of the BECK ARNLEY Series 086 brake pads, im looking at BA 086-1678C in which I can find almost zero information searching the webs.
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jrvn
Anyone have any idea who manufactures or knowledge of the BECK ARNLEY Series 086 brake pads, im looking at BA 086-1678C in which I can find almost zero information searching the webs.
confused2.gif

Only way to find out is to look up the edge codes of the pads against the AMECA listings.

A long time ago, Beck-Arnley sold a mix of pads. They sold Australian-made Repco/Axxis/PBR pads with their part number on them but in the original box. That number sounds like an Axxis pad, I know those part numbers started with 088-xxxxD/M for organic or metallic.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I learned with a 2002 Camry DD that BA makes quality parts. The BA dog bone mount was the only mount that Camry could not reduce to dust in months. I would try the brake pads. But I do prefer Akebono pads. Can't explain why, but they stop my heavy SUV faster than any other ceramic.

Good for you. My experience with Akebono ProAct pads (G/G) has not been good. Don't stop that well, fade, and leave excessive pad deposits on the rotors, leading to vibration. Several hard stops restore smoothness, so its not rotors (Centric cryo). But they wear very well and I was hoping to replace them with some other brand soon. Now, I'll just have to do it before they wear out. I really don't understand the love for Akebono on these forums. Perhaps most ppl are looking for long life, smoothness, quiet, and clean wheels. These do that well. Mediocre in my opinion. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back