BEAVER DESTRUCTION AND OPTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by anndel
No matter what you do they'll be back. Is there a way to put sheet metal wrapping the trunk of the trees so they can't bite into it like what we do here in Hawaii for rats?

This.

I am from Canada and grew up where beavers often made messes of things. An old farmer next door would wrap sheets of metal, old roofing sheets, old stove pipes, anything metal really on tree trunks. About 1 meter high. No trees for them to cut = no/few beavers (they move on) or smaller dams with less impact (in your case, this is what could happen given they have already started building). Also, the young ones must move away as there is less space for them to live in. Worked great.

Sure, for about 2 years you have odd looking trees.... I called them "des arbres à bottes" (French for "trees with boots"). Helped him do these "boots". I recall him telling me that you only need to do this to some types of trees, and only some diameter trees (not all of them), and only the first row of trees nearest to the river. Why? Beavers are crafty: they know they can't bring downed trees through a row of vertical trees.... at least not that easily. They always cut trees closest to the river and work "up"....

Personally, I love these critters!

I should add:why he did not want to kill beavers was because he learned from his ancestors that they were very useful to farmers. He needed the water for his cattle and to pump up to his house, and the dams beavers would partially build did that for him and made the river deeper, so the pipes would be under the ice in winter (always fresh water). He also loved to fish, so that helped too. Deers and other animals would come drink near the dams. I don't recall if he hunted the deers but I had a few "ragout" at his place that tasted "gamy". Hum....

Last edited:
I think that I know your approximate location. nice area.
you could hook up with your pal, grampi. get a bottle of wine, a couple of chairs, a couple of joints -- now that it's legal in Michigan -- and get a good buzz ,down by the river, while pondering a solution to the beaver problem.

Thanks I'm going to try the metal trick . I'm dealing with such a long stretch of river , maybe I can hire the Boy Scouts to help out . And also im going to contact state Rep to see why a tax payer can't even get in touch with a DNR officer .

Why do you assume "so much destruction" as you say? They are just [censored] up the river. The banks, if anything will have less erosion if the flow velocity is slowed down.

They aren't going to dam 50 foot wide 6 foot deep river. They'll cut down all the trees suitable for food then move on. Can they be relocated, yes. Who will pay?

Can certainly understand not wanting your trees cut down. You may have to hire a pest control guy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by yeti
you could hook up with your pal, grampi. get a bottle of wine, a couple of chairs, a couple of joints -- now that it's legal in Michigan -- and get a good buzz ,down by the river, while pondering a solution to the beaver problem.

Lol , now that would be a heck of a day wouldn't it . Maybe he could show me a few spots were the soil is just right for a crop .

Originally Posted by yeti

Lol , now that would be a heck of a day wouldn't it . Maybe he could show me a few spots were the soil is just right for a crop .

Would wire fencing wrapped around the trees work ? Obviously it would have to be stiff wire. Easier and cheaper than sheet metal?

I came for the dirty jokes...
and was sad there weren't any.

Anyway, trapping or snares is the best bet for beavers. You can probably get some with the rifle but you will never get them all without trapping I think.

To make a long story short my gg Grand father and ggg Grandfather had dealings with the American Fur Company in the early and mid 1800s . I have all the documents with their business activities and the outright slaughter of the animals for fur was unbelievable . The numbers of pelts shipped to Detroit then on to New York is surely amazing . I'm sure the meat was used but fur was the point of it all . If anyone is interested I can take a picture of a few and upload them sometime , has each animal listed with prices per pelt . Baby bears , cougar , fox , elk , even ferol cats .

Originally Posted by AZjeff
They aren't going to dam 50 foot wide 6 foot deep river. They'll cut down all the trees suitable for food then move on. Can they be relocated, yes. Who will pay?

Can certainly understand not wanting your trees cut down. You may have to hire a pest control guy.

I grew up in Central Wisconsin. I assure you beavers can dam a 50 foot wide 6 ft deep river. They are amazing critters that never stop working.

Unlike woodchucks, coyotes, and several other animals, beaver in Michigan are protected by state law and the recommendations to shoot or otherwise kill them (outside of trapping season) is regulated.

You know how to Google for information. Exclusion (wrapping/painting the trees) is about the only feasible solution.

While the MDNR has regulatory jurisdiction on this matter, you might also want to contact the Michigan USDA APHIS Wildlife Service division for help: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou..._Informational+Notebook/CT_Michigan_info

If you don't mind the population control strategy, you might contact this group for assistance: http://www.mtpca.com/landowner.html

I love wildlife as much as anyone else and try hard to have reverence of such things.

On the other hand, I didn't allow the 20 cute deer mice that attempted to move into my home this fall to take up residence there.....
[Linked Image]

I care take of a house on a good sized creek that the beaver have moved into. There are at least 4 dams already with good sized ponds and one good sized lodge. The ponds they created stink! Just last week I went up there to solve an electrical issue and a foot of snow on the ground, water beginning to freeze, and the smell is still really bad. Fish & Game says they're protected and unless they flood the house can't be removed.

Yup I have some way out back and believe me they will build across 50' 6' high. Made a tiny swamp that all but dried up in the summer into a few acres of pond4-6' deep . They don't bother me at all. They sure did pretty much dry up that tiny creek.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Unlike woodchucks, coyotes, and several other animals, beaver in Michigan are protected by state law and the recommendations to shoot or otherwise kill them (outside of trapping season) is regulated.

You know how to Google for information. Exclusion (wrapping/painting the trees) is about the only feasible solution.

While the MDNR has regulatory jurisdiction on this matter, you might also want to contact the Michigan USDA APHIS Wildlife Service division for help: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou..._Informational+Notebook/CT_Michigan_info

If you don't mind the population control strategy, you might contact this group for assistance: http://www.mtpca.com/landowner.html

I love wildlife as much as anyone else and try hard to have reverence of such things.

On the other hand, I didn't allow the 20 cute deer mice that attempted to move into my home this fall to take up residence there.....
[Linked Image]

Thanks for all the great links from a fellow Michigander

Way back 20 years ago Northern Tools sold a 4' x16"x16" live trap. I've got one and it will likely hold a beaver if you can get them to go in there. It's a pretty simple trap at didn't cost more than $60. I've relocated well over 20 raccoons with that trap and they work great. I once caught 2 at the same time. Of course you need to know where you're going to take them at least a few miles away. Someplace they won't bother anyone else. 3 or 4 miles should be plenty.. not one of my raccoons came back from less than that.
DEC or whoever might relocate them for you as you bring them in . I wouldn't go telling them who I was though till you know though . It's best not to tip your hand in case you need to do it on the sly.. you'll probably want a pickup for transport. They will stank up your trunk really bad........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back