Beam wipers vs "hybrid" wipers - what's the real difference? (specifically Bosch).

OK, ordering some back-up wipers. Confused what "hybrid"

Recently I bought a used car that came with the Bosch Clear Advantage beam wipers. I like them. I bought a back up-pair on sale with some other things a month or two ago and tossed them in the trunk for "whenever" (I always keep a 2nd pair of wipers in the spare tire well on all cars. No I did not grow up in Havana ;) ). But I had to use them on a 2nd used car I bought, which took the same size and the blades were disintegrating. They work great!

Now I am ordering some back-ups again. My supplier I am using doesn't have them but has the Bosch "hybrid" on a great sale. I can't understand what is actually the deal of hybrid, even reading their website. Are they just regular blades with an aero cap on them, or what's the deal underneath? I can't figure it out or find a googled answer.

Should I go with them, or pony up more for the Clear Advantage (or wait until they are on sale again since it's no rush)?

Go take a look at Rock auto.
I get blades for 2 cars at the same cost as 1 car at an auto parts store and thats with shipping.
They also have a good description of each type of blade.
I see no reason to not get the beam type they work just fine.

OK, ordering some back-up wipers. Confused what "hybrid"
-snip-
Now I am ordering some back-ups again. My supplier I am using doesn't have them but has the Bosch "hybrid" on a great sale. I can't understand what is actually the deal of hybrid, even reading their website. Are they just regular blades with an aero cap on them, or what's the deal underneath? I can't figure it out or find a googled answer.

Yes

Great, that was my question and what I was thinking. I'll hold off and get some beam/Clear Advantage on another order somewhere else.

And yes, RA had them at a good price (in only some sizes though, but did have mine) but I was ordering from elsewhere. Their shipping costs bumped them up to local store price so no reason to order from RA just the blades. But often a good place for things like that when you can tack them on another order.

Thank you guys.

I don't like the beam blades, I think they're ugly. I like the hybrid style with the plastic covering and it looks nice.

Just for curiosity, I removed the rubber covers from a Toyota (=Denso?) beam wiper. Oddly, that resulted in the arm vibrating vertically while in parked position in dry weather. So, apparently the cover reduces turbulence air forces on the blade, or dampens the vibration, or some combination.

Just for curiosity, I removed the rubber covers from a Toyota (=Denso?) beam wiper. Oddly, that resulted in the arm vibrating vertically while in parked position in dry weather. So, apparently the cover reduces turbulence air forces on the blade, or dampens the vibration, or some combination.

From what I have read, that is how they are supposed to work. The cover is a combo aero device and tuned leaf spring.

I would never have probably sprang for the pricier ones, but having seen how well they work on this car I'm switching the others to them when they need new wipers. I found that at one of my euro parts places (RM European - great prices) and also at RA they are generally $5 to $6 each and I'll take them on to other necessary orders.

From what I have read, that is how they are supposed to work. The cover is a combo aero device and tuned leaf spring. ...
They're also supposed to minimize clogging by freezing rain, when and where that's an issue.
I don't believe my rubber covers act significantly as springs, although they may well damp vibration of the steel spring to which they're attached.

I'm a fan of hybrid blades, with the Denso Designer and Trico TeflonShield being my favorites. All my cars are parked outside and these blades easily last a year in our four-season climate, whereas others crap out in less than six months

I don't think I've ever had a wiper blade I was completely happy with. I've tried most of the ones that Canadian Tire and Napa sell over the years, maybe I'm just too picky. Currently run the OE bosch conventional on my Golf and Bosch beam style on the Xterra.

I don't think I've ever had a wiper blade I was completely happy with. I've tried most of the ones that Canadian Tire and Napa sell over the years, maybe I'm just too picky. Currently run the OE bosch conventional on my Golf and Bosch beam style on the Xterra.

Willing to bet you've never tried a PIAA silicone wiper. My vehicle uses 22" wipers which are almost $30 per side. Spend $60 on a pair of wipers? Yes, I did this in 2015. Yes, my vehicles are garaged in winter, but parked outside while at work; 5 years use in Midwest winters and summers and the wipers work and do NOT squeak, streak or chatter. I'll likely never buy another brand of wipers. I have better things to do with my time than change wiper blades every 3-4 months.

Willing to bet you've never tried a PIAA silicone wiper. My vehicle uses 22" wipers which are almost $30 per side. Spend $60 on a pair of wipers? Yes, I did this in 2015. Yes, my vehicles are garaged in winter, but parked outside while at work; 5 years use in Midwest winters and summers and the wipers work and do NOT squeak, streak or chatter. I'll likely never buy another brand of wipers. I have better things to do with my time than change wiper blades every 3-4 months.
Considering the crap they sell in the stores is pretty much the same price as that, I'm willing to give those a try!

Hybrid wiper blades were invented to fill that gap in product lines that exists between cheap and good.

The wiper manufacturers love to sell the blades that are cheap to make, but they can’t get much profit off of them due to their economy class quality and performance.

On the other end of the spectrum, they hate making the quality blades because they cost more to produce and don’t have a high profit margin.

That’s where the hybrid blades come in. They are cheap to make but have a higher profit margin due to their fancy new name - “Hybrid”

So they get the best of both worlds - making a profit on crud products while saving money manufacturing them...that’s my best guess

Back