Beading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since everyone feels that beading is the only indicator of your LSP working...

Roof:

2011-10-10_17-19-13_859.jpg

Hood (you can see the difference in beading between the area with the clear bra and the area without):

2011-10-10_17-18-56_721.jpg

Products used:

- The car has never been clayed, but it has been washed weekly with either Optimum No Rinse, Turtle Wax ICE, or the soap that the hand wash tunnel uses.

- DP Poli-Coat sealant was applied on 7/30/11

- The dealer accidentally ran the car through its car wash tunnel and applied Rain-X CSP on 10/1, which gave the car an incredible shine for about a week.

- Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (spray) has was used at every wash starting mid-Sept; the last use was on 10/7.

- The clear bra is sealed with XPEP paint protection film sealant at every car wash, which is 1-2 times weekly.

It is interesting to see that the paint is still beading water even though it barely feels slick.

My experience is the opposite - feels super slick but get sloppy big pools of water if anything...

Quote:

- The dealer accidentally ran the car through its car wash tunnel and applied Rain-X CSP on 10/1, which gave the car an incredible shine for about a week.

bummer, did the paint get any damage?

Quote:
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (spray) has was used at every wash starting mid-Sept; the last use was on 10/7.

A spray detailer every week? Yes, it will continue to bead so long as you keep this practice up.

Since you broached the subject, let me ask this: is beading an accurate indicator of the level of protection wax/polish/sealant is providing? I’ve always been led to believe that, but I could be wrong.

I note that Griot’s is now marketing a new product called Premium Carnauba Paste Wax that touts its “advanced hydrophobic technology.” My GUESS is that Griot’s may be responding to criticism that its products don’t seem too durable given the notion that water doesn’t bead for too long after application. What do you guys think?

I would prefer a product that sheets water off the surface.....wish I could find one that actually does that.

Originally Posted By: M Smith
Since you broached the subject, let me ask this: is beading an accurate indicator of the level of protection wax/polish/sealant is providing? I’ve always been led to believe that, but I could be wrong.

I note that Griot’s is now marketing a new product called Premium Carnauba Paste Wax that touts its “advanced hydrophobic technology.” My GUESS is that Griot’s may be responding to criticism that its products don’t seem too durable given the notion that water doesn’t bead for too long after application. What do you guys think?

I did read recently that beading, like the one in the pic, could cause damage to the finish. The water beads will act as small mirrors and can ruin the paint. Also, if the beads are let to dry in the sun the minerals/acid present in the water could etch the paint.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I would prefer a product that sheets water off the surface.....wish I could find one that actually does that.

+1
I pick my sealants based on their ability to sheet water.

Ultima Paint guard plus was my go to for paint protection on my cars, but I recently got Opti-seal and I must say, it seems to sheet water better than UPGP. Of course, both these products are applied to a finish that is contamination free and polished which always helps with water sheeting.

I have both and haven't noticed them sheeting water much better than other products but that might just be me not paying attention. I'm not a big fan of Opti Seal and use it on doorjambs and other areas to get rid of it. I just prefer Ultima's look to the Opti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back