Be nice to your in-laws.

If I understand correctly the circumstances I don't think it should be salvage. Salvage cars are the ones bought by the insurance company. The owner retained the car and the title as I understand it. No salvage title should have been issued. At least that's how it works here.

If I understand correctly the circumstances I don't think it should be salvage. Salvage cars are the ones bought by the insurance company. The owner retained the car and the title as I understand it. No salvage title should have been issued. At least that's how it works here.
Totally depends on the state.

I see OP is living the BITOG dream! Drive your mother in law's old Toyota for free! (see my signature)

BITOG - where old cars come to DIE!

I was too nice to my inlaw, he tried to scam my coworker into buying his beater with hidden problem. I now stay away from him and let him deal with his crap instead of offering advise, he can just crush whatever he couldn't sell and he can say whatever he wants with his junk cars.

I so love my Toyotas, my parents have always bought new Toyotas and once paid off they would give them to one of the kids. I ended up with a 1988 Tercel that never needed anything besides brakes until someone totaled it for me, my next hit was a 97 4 runner again no issues. Both of these went over 300,000 miles. Today I still own a fairly nice 1990 Toyota 4x4 reg cab pickup, very small but I love that truck. Also have a 2015 Toyota Yaris and it’s been excellent as well.
Who could ask for anything more.

Great vehicle. They are extremely underrated, by no means a Camry and this generation is leaps ahead of the Lexus ES if that era.

No need to pull anything on the body. Get a new bumper cover, paint it, secure it and enjoy it for many more miles. Just make sure to change the coolant and use oem. These tend to eat up water pump seals if not changed in a timely fashion and sometimes even when changed.

Awesome cars and make awesome highway cruisers on long trips with a large back seat and huge trunk.

This and the early LS 400 and 430....IMO some of the best cars ever made. I'd be happy to daily one. Hat's off to your in-laws and good job getting after that trans fluid.

Can't speak for anyone else. Mine didn't get a dent but I have a good scratch on mine in that area. I *might* have been doing e-brake u-turns in an icy parking lot with a bit too much speed.

Ironically my MIL just hit my house (well yesterday) backing up. Would be the same location on the bumper, save the fact it was in a CRV. Oops. Couple hours of labor and the only reason you'd know my house took a hit is because I'm a complete hack.

Back