Be careful buying “copper” wire from Amazon

I bought some spools of “copper” utility wire from Amazon a few years ago and used some to wire navigation lights on my Jon boat. I recently discovered almost every crimped joint had broken completely apart at the crimp. That’s when I found out my “copper” wire is actually copper-washed aluminum. Of course the deadline to return it has long passed.

I did a little poking around on Amazon and discovered there are MANY listings for copper wire that are actually CCA (copper coated aluminum) where this detail was listed only someplace really obscure like a photo of the spool end. In my case it was just a flat out deception.

Now I have to go buy some real copper wire and redo the whole thing. Lesson learned.

I bought some spools of “copper” utility wire from Amazon a few years ago and used some to wire navigation lights on my Jon boat. I recently discovered almost every crimped joint had broken completely apart at the crimp. That’s when I found out my “copper” wire is actually copper-washed aluminum. Of course the deadline to return it has long passed.

I did a little poking around on Amazon and discovered there are MANY listings for copper wire that are actually CCA (copper coated aluminum) where this detail was listed only someplace really obscure like a photo of the spool end. In my case it was just a flat out deception.

Now I have to go buy some real copper wire and redo the whole thing. Lesson learned.
What was the wire rating/marking?

That's why I tell people to buy network cable (cat5e and cat6) they intend to install in-wall at Lowe's or Home Depot. The chances of getting copper clad aluminum junk on Amazon are just too high.

I haven't checked--is Amazon selling copper-clad aluminum romex yet?

That's why I tell people to buy network cable (cat5e and cat6) they intend to install in-wall at Lowe's or Home Depot. The chances of getting copper clad aluminum junk on Amazon are just too high.

I haven't checked--is Amazon selling copper-clad aluminum romex yet?
Or maybe Graybar.
We used to have one next to an adult shop on 76 E. Not sure if it’s still there.

Thanks for posting this! I had a $50.00 gift card from Lowe's and just used it to purchase 75 ft of Cat 6a wire. Triplett brand.

Or maybe Graybar.
We used to have one next to an adult shop on 76 E. Not sure if it’s still there.

From what I've seen and heard, Lowe's and Home Depot often are cheaper than places like Graybar, assuming that they stock what you need. I pass about two Home Depots and one Lowe's on the way to Graybar from here, so it's not convenient either.

From what I've seen and heard, Lowe's and Home Depot often are cheaper than places like Graybar, assuming that they stock what you need. I pass about two Home Depots and one Lowe's on the way to Graybar from here, so it's not convenient either.
Looks like it’s still there. Years ago I went inside and the man said who do you work for, told him, and it took 10% off. I was buying a 110 block.

Totally reminded me of buying auto parts at a counter with my dad as a kid—he’d always get a discount by saying it was for a company (he did have his own co but he worked in insurance and was never asked to prove or show anything).

IMG_0297.jpeg

I'm not a big Amazon fan overall. Ebay has always treated me well in the 25 years I've been a member. I've sold a few thousand dollars worth of stuff on it too. Fantastic place to get old car parts and NOS stuff. I like that "free shipping from China" is always a giveaway that I won't buy from that seller.

Some jumper cables are also made with copper plated aluminum wire. So basically the wire gauge alone doesn't mean a thing if it's made cheaply like that.

Back