BBQ on a Weber Kettle Grill,

Hello All BITOGERS
I've have a Weber Kettle Grill that my parents purchased in 1987 or so. My new Weber Kettle isn't as heavy but I digress. Have anyone here made a fantastic Brisket using a kettle type Grill? Call me a masochistic, but a Traeger is too easy, ALA "Set it and forget it ". as I'd prefer recipes that cater to Kettle Grills that I have. I'm currently using B&B white Oak charcoal with Sassafras, apple, and Hickory. Who else here has used a briquette grill for said types of meat? All recipe suggestions or recipes appreciated,

Grill Guy

I have done it....

Key part is fire maintenance...

Using the air flow properly is key. My lower airflow vents were 90 percent closed the entire time.

To maintain temperature at or around 220-240 on the indirect cooking side can be hard. Adding just the right amount of briquettes is key too.

GET Kingsford Hardwood briquettes from Home Depot...

Why ??

You can add them unlit to a existing fire and they catch quite well. This makes maintaining your heat level much easier. Typically add 6-10 unlit briquettes every 1 hour to one hour and 20 minutes.

Get a good oven thermometer... Place this on the side closest to your fire. That way you know what temps are throughout your cooking process...

And check it often.. this will be a quite often. Especially after adding charcoal to the fire. You may have to cut your air flow or even possibly pull a few briquettes from the fire to keep the temp down where you need it.

Remember ambient air temperature does affect your cook... Colder more briquettes needed... Warmer less needed. .

Also..
Get good and I mean good hickory wood chunks.

If you buy a bag.... Open it... And smell the wood chunks. Yeah I know that sounds weird... But it matters. Good hickory wood chunks have a pleasant sweet smell. Junk hickory wood chunks have zero smell. .

Add one unlit to the very peripherally outside edge of your fire. This actually works perfectly fine. It can be a small chunk and it will do what you need it to.

Also... Get a cheap spray bottle and apple juice and or whatever mop type juice and spray the meat with it.

I will take a picture of the wood chunks I get that are really quite good. I get them at Publix.

With proper planning you sure can cook a brisket on a Weber kettle. We've done it at my home dozens of times. Use of this makes it relatively simple.

I use the Weber Kettle or a built in smoker I have a lot more than the kettle grill for this. Like the Trager, makes it simpler. Lots of good vidoes on youtube concerning cooking a brisket on a kettle.

Good luck and keep the temp consistent via the bottom vent. I learned to keep the kettle and the Smokey Mountain top vent ALWAYS fully open.

All I have ever used in my adult life is a Weber. The key is to have the top grate with the panels that fold up and allow you to add charcoal. I have a 15# turkey ready to hit the coals tomorrow.

I do everything, including super awesome briskets, in my weber kettle. I also have a slow and sear that really helps maintain stead burn and keep humidity in check. As a matter of fact, I'll be smoking one tomorrow and will post some pictures on the setup and results. Crazy thing, darn brisket is up over 100% in price compared to exactly one year ago....

I've used a standard Weber kettle for close to 50 years. A lot of people like everything tight to lock in the heat. I'm the opposite. I seek good air flow, so the smoke swirls inside the kettle and I don't have to worry about the charcoal going out. I remove the bottom vent attachment so the bottom holes are always wide open. I also crack the lid slightly rather than mess with the top air vents, which don't work that well anyway. This also ensures good air flow inside the dome. I almost always cook indirectly. Charcoal lumped on one side of the grill, meat positioned on the other 3/4 of the grill, but not on top of the charcoal. Lumping the charcoal near an edge also allows additional briquettes to be added easily halfway through cooking process. I've got a bucket of apple wood chunks in the garage, and add some to the charcoal early in the cooking process. I read somewhere that smoke flavor in meat comes from early infusion of wood smoke, so add the wood to the charcoal right away. I mostly cook chicken and ribs. About 90 minutes is the cooking time for each.

I haven’t done a brisket in a while on a Weber. When I did one, I used the minion method, build a snake of briquettes 2 wide X 2 high around 2/3rds the grill’s charcoal grate. Set a liquid filled pie tin in the center. Use lit coals from a chimney starter and set a piece of smoking wood at the start and midway of the snake. Use vents to maintain temp, I aimed for 250*F.

I haven’t done a brisket in a while on a Weber. When I did one, I used the minion method, build a snake of briquettes 2 wide X 2 high around 2/3rds the grill’s charcoal grate. Set a liquid filled pie tin in the center. Use lit coals from a chimney starter and set a piece of smoking wood at the start and midway of the snake. Use vents to maintain temp, I aimed for 250*F.
Use the minion method also when smoking ribs, haven't tried a brisket yet. I have the larger 26" kettle grill which I prefer over the usual 22's, lots of space to lay out two large rib packs. ;)
IMG_1032.JPG

Reactions: 4WD
Hello All BITOGERS
I've have a Weber Kettle Grill that my parents purchased in 1987 or so. My new Weber Kettle isn't as heavy but I digress. Have anyone here made a fantastic Brisket using a kettle type Grill? Call me a masochistic, but a Traeger is too easy, ALA "Set it and forget it ". as I'd prefer recipes that cater to Kettle Grills that I have. I'm currently using B&B white Oak charcoal with Sassafras, apple, and Hickory. Who else here has used a briquette grill for said types of meat? All recipe suggestions or recipes appreciated,

Grill Guy
These guys … ? some hot coals for sure

I prefer my side draft smoker but have used my Weber kettle to make pulled beef. Your challenge is going to be fire maintenance, keeping it low and slow. You might want to try the charcoal trays to keep the coals off to the one side...

just my $0.02

Here is my setup form yesterday. It turned out really good but slightly dry on the edge of the flat side (it was really thin to begin with). Took me around 8hrs or while holding 240-270F. Thermoworks thermometer - one probe in the meat, second on surface of the grate to control the actual temp.

Attachments

• 2C3AF1B2-FEE3-4817-8EED-2A34CBBA3E0D.jpeg
    2C3AF1B2-FEE3-4817-8EED-2A34CBBA3E0D.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 7C4CF6FE-AF84-4A9C-A14D-B0049578D9FB.jpeg
    7C4CF6FE-AF84-4A9C-A14D-B0049578D9FB.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 11
Back