Battle of silicone greases for caliper slide pins

I use lithium soap base glycol grease for the pins that ride inside of rubber bushings as that is what is used from the factory on all of the cars I have owned (vw, toyota/lexus, subaru)

View attachment 80744
Febi 31942 for the german cars (This has VW G 052 150 A2 listed on the tube. Consensus on oil-club.ru seems to be that this is relabeled Fuchs Renolit LX-PG2)

View attachment 80745
Niglube RX-2 for the japanese cars

They are effectively the same thing and interchangeable, but being a member of bitog, I just had to try them both.

The factory stuff goes bad in no time, silicone grease appears not to. I was fortunate to get 2 years without sticking caliper pins on a NEW car. Once the grease was replaced with silicone grease and the damaged parts replaced, I wouldn't need to touch them anymore. I could fill half my workweek redoing brakes when I first started.

There is always a better mouse trap and plenty of advertising to liberate cash from your wallet and suckers to recommend it.
I use Mission and before that 3M with zero corrosion issues or sticking of the pins even in the salt belt.

Thanks for the recommendation - just ordered some for my next brake maintenance. I ran out of my Permatex stuff.

Sil-Glyde for me. Use it on the pad backing, ears and pins. It lasts and works well. The only time I use something different is if the pads come with something because then I feel bad for not using what is provided.

Speaking of PTFE I've been using this CRC brake lube for years with no issues.
20211214_101729.jpg
20211214_101734.jpg
20211214_102056.jpg

IF the metal touches rubber, use a 100% silicone like 3M. The grease needs to be safe for rubber.

IF the metal touches rubber, use a 100% silicone like 3M. The grease needs to be safe for rubber.

PTFE is safe for rubber, I would think twice before using anything with ceramic particles or moly however.

As pointed out before in this thread Plastilube is not rubber safe, you shouldn't be using it on pins.
it is. by no rubber they mean don’t apply it to door seals.

ate’s own calipers don’t need any grease on the slide pins so they’re trusting the other manufacturer doesn’t use junk rubber

Last edited:
it is. by no rubber they mean don’t apply it to door seals.

ate’s own calipers don’t need any grease on the slide pins so they’re trusting the other manufacturer doesn’t use junk rubber

Plastilube is mineral oil based (CAS 64742-01-4) per its datasheets and explicitly says on the tube never to apply it to rubber parts.

EPDM is not junk, and it's very common in brake systems, other manufactures are not going to stop using it just for ATE's sake.

Sil-Glyde works good.

Ive used that synthetic black brake grease and that works good...think it’s CRC

Honestly the 3M silicone grease works great...used that in a fleet for 7 years, and it never let us down. Can’t say the same for Permatex Green or Purple. Both have dried out on caliper pins for us. And they hosted a seminar for us once, showed us how to install it on the back of pads, caliper brackets and caliper pins. These people had us convinced it was made by Santa Claus and the Easter bunny in a joint venture to save mankind. And then half our brake jobs came back with stuck caliper pins and pads, six months later. No more fancy purple or green grease for us. **** you Santa! And you too bunny!! SHAME!!!

The 3M stuff is great and I used it until I tried the Mission stuff, same product different brand and less expensive. These are a great all round product, dielectric, safe for all body and brake rubber seals, it replaces quite a few cans.

I use lithium soap base glycol grease for the pins that ride inside of rubber bushings as that is what is used from the factory on all of the cars I have owned (vw, toyota/lexus, subaru)

View attachment 80744
Febi 31942 for the german cars (This has VW G 052 150 A2 listed on the tube. Consensus on oil-club.ru seems to be that this is relabeled Fuchs Renolit LX-PG2)

View attachment 80745
Niglube RX-2 for the japanese cars

They are effectively the same thing and interchangeable, but being a member of bitog, I just had to try them both.
Interesting how for the VW code TecDoc only lists the Febi and a SWAG code that I couldn't find. The Fuchs Renolit also doesn't seem to be available.

I guess this Febi is the safe bet, but there's also the option of getting Textar Hydratec or ATE "brake cylinder paste": https://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/ate-bremszylinder-paste-180-ml_spanisch.

Plastilube is not for pins, it's just anti-squealing surface-lubricating grease: https://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/ate-plastilube-75-ml

I got a tube of Wurth Silicone Lubricating Compound like 15 years ago. The tube actually says it's good for two years lol.
I use it on all sorts of things, not just caliper slide pins. It's great on o-rings, any sort of rubber dust boots, basically anything rubber. It's quite tacky so I often use it to hold the gaskets.
Never caused any swelling or dried up. I'm happy with it.

Having said that, when this one finally runs out, I will probably get something else, as Wurth products don't seam readily available here. 3M silicone paste looks very similar, so I may get that.

08902211.jpg

Back