Battery trickle charger?

I really hate to promote Chinese knock-offs, but you can't argue with performance and value... the absolute best charger/maintainer I've found is https://www.amazon.com/FOXSUR-Intelligent-Automatic-Maintainer-Batteries-Blue/dp/B088QCXNMY/
why do I like it? It holds 13.6V even with a modest load. and it's 8A, so it's got some power. but the 13.6V float charging is the real advantage. I've now got 8 of these units and use them on all my vehicles, lawn tractors, backup power systems, etc.

from personal experience, the top of my least is CTEK. great charger and even greater maintainer.
Optimate is also good
Deltron
I have been disappointed with noco.

You need to pick the current delivery to match your car battery. 800mA will give a healthy but very slow charge rate. You will need an overnight charging routing.
I also avoid charging straight after a drive unless it is urgent, prefer to allo a day for the surface charge to fade and the battery cooled down.

I've got 9 BatteryMinders, temp compensated and desulificating, on bikes, mowers, ATV and snowmobiles and one garage queen.
Zero issues over many years and not overpriced like the Noco or Ctek stuff and they use the SAE connectors.
Northern Tool puts them on sale every now and then for like 1/2 price. All are 1.5-amp units, it's a maintainer not a charger.

Yup. But people are looking at the lights or display and a higher output charger will hit the "full" or absorption mode faster than a lower output one, even if it is still not really completely charged and inching its way there.

Right, but just to clarify: if the battery can’t accept more than the lower-rates charger can output it doesn’t matter. It comes down to how the charger determine each stage and when to consider the battery fully charged, which isn’t always consistent, IME.

For instance, my NOCO Genius 5 may indicate a full charge faster than my CTEK 3300, because it apparently has a less aggressive charging scheme. I haven’t tested it, but the NOCO seems to end its constant-voltage stage at a higher current than the CTEK.

Even still, the NOCO has four LEDs, from dead red to good to go green, whereas the CTEK shows only either charging or full LEDs. Because of this, the NOCO may seem to charge faster simply because it gets to the green LED faster.

PXL_20221226_204141886.jpg

I just bought this one, $50 on sale at Costco
It seems to work about the same as the smaller 1.5A Tender Jr I also have, just faster on a weak battery

Here is the one currently on sale on costco.com for $40 with free shipping. 5 amp unit, surprisingly, it is also IP65 water resistant like the Duracell and Battery Tender. Wasn't mentioned in the online listing. 5 year warranty is nice, as is Costco's generous return policies.

Attachments

• main4.jpg
    main4.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 17
  • main3.jpg
    main3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 18
  • main2.jpg
    main2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 15
  • main1.jpg
    main1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 16
Here is the one currently on sale on costco.com for $40 with free shipping. 5 amp unit, surprisingly, it is also IP65 water resistant like the Duracell and Battery Tender. Wasn't mentioned in the online listing. 5 year warranty is nice, as is Costco's generous return policies.
Dang, I‘d buy that if I didn’t already have two different smart chargers AND a variable power supply!

It's a great idea-- my truck sits all week and drives a mere 5 mile round trip to the dump, which isn't enough.

Consider some sort of solar panel rigged up behind the driver's headrest so it sees out the back window?

You will not damage electronics, the battery is a huge filter.
I ran a 20W Amazon solar panel with a battery tender charge controller for many years with no issues. This is very viable if you have good sun.

Does the display provide real time voltage and current flow values? Many don’t and are virtually worthless.

If it’s not real time, what is it?
Some only tell a setting like it’s on the 5.0A setting instead of the actual current flowing through the conductor. Some voltage displays are not refreshed fast enough, or display some sort of set point value versus the real time conduction voltage.

Some only tell a setting like it’s on the 5.0A setting instead of the actual current flowing through the conductor. Some voltage displays are not refreshed fast enough, or display some sort of set point value versus the real time conduction voltage.

I’d prefer a V/I setpoint display rather than nothing. Although showing both at the same time doesn’t really provide much confidence in the charger being a smart one, since neither can be set at the same time…

Does the display provide real time voltage and current flow values? Many don’t and are virtually worthless.
No idea, but here is their website with quite a bit of information, but buy it from Costco.com

You could also ask their customer service, there is a link at the bottom of the page

I’d prefer a V/I setpoint display rather than nothing. Although showing both at the same time doesn’t really provide much confidence in the charger being a smart one, since neither can be set at the same time…
It has little to nothing to do with setpoints , and everything to do with just knowing what the battery is taking.

It has little to nothing to do with setpoints , and everything to do with just knowing what the battery is taking.

That wasn‘t my point. If I had a choice between a single on/off LED and a displayed set point for either constant V or constant I, I’d choose the latter. With that said, I’d obviously choose an actual value to be displayed, even if it wasn’t updated every second.

That wasn‘t my point. If I had a choice between a single on/off LED and a displayed set point for either constant V or constant I, I’d choose the latter. With that said, I’d obviously choose an actual value to be displayed, even if it wasn’t updated every second.
But that’s way outside of a “smart charger” capability. I’d love one with an advanced or manual mode, but frankly, that’s probably better done with a basic power supply. There are lots of good lab and ham radio power supplies that can be run in such ways.

My point was that I’d rather know at least the instantaneous voltage, and ideally the current following as well. Many units show either what step the charger is on, or a voltage/percentage display. But current is very valuable as well, especially if using it in a pinch to boost a battery a bit but not fully, or to see what the long term draw is.

Next to no chargers will show this.

But that’s way outside of a “smart charger” capability. I’d love one with an advanced or manual mode, but frankly, that’s probably better done with a basic power supply. There are lots of good lab and ham radio power supplies that can be run in such ways.

My point was that I’d rather know at least the instantaneous voltage, and ideally the current following as well. Many units show either what step the charger is on, or a voltage/percentage display. But current is very valuable as well, especially if using it in a pinch to boost a battery a bit but not fully, or to see what the long term draw is.

Next to no chargers will show this.

I use this (unfortunately, I need to keep an eye on it to make sure I don‘t gas my batteries):

C177E97A-E2CE-46DD-9B0B-F86FE634591B.jpeg

I have almost the same one for when I need a power supply.

For boosting a depleted battery in a pinch I’d argue that a display wouldn’t matter much anyway. A good dumb charge with a higher charger rate would be better than a “smart” charger with a lower rating. In a pinch, getting the car started is the purpose, I would think.

I've used Deltran Battery Tenders for years for my summer car and riding mower.

I have another question. We have two riding mowers, both with identical batteries. I had a Battery Tender Jr. for each of the mowers, but one has been mislaid. Any advice on connecting the two batteries in parallel to one BT Jr. instead of switching back and forth? Anybody try that?

Back