Battery reset

According to what Ive read most F150s 2011 and newer you have to reset the battery when its replaced. I bought my truck in Oct ‘19 and it had a “wet” Continental battery with a date of 9/19 on it. It has never given me a lick of trouble in 4-1/2 years but Im taking a 16 hour round trip to Georgia next month so I might as well go ahead and replace it. My questions are, should I replace it with an AGM battery? Everywhere I look up the battery for my truck it calls for an AGM, although this “wet” Continental has worked just fine. Also, theres many different methods to resetting once the battery is installed, should I just have someone with the proper scan tool do it?

I'd get yours tested for some reassurance. Carry cables or a boost pack, you won't need them.

I'd look into if "Forscan" does batteries-- you can get the dongle on ebay for ten bucks. It has other tricks that are also worthwhile.

I just replaced the battery in my '17 F150.
It was still starting fine, but the start/stop had quit working...not that I cared.

If you haven't, check pricing at your nearest Ford Quick Lane.
They are fairly competitive and will do the reset for you.

Check for Ford coupons online.

At some point ford did start including battery aging and charging strategies, I don’t know when and I don’t know how critical it is. I think it takes better care of the battery as it ages. My 2018 has references for about 20 battery sizes/types, and the ability to reset it.

According to what Ive read most F150s 2011 and newer you have to reset the battery when its replaced. I bought my truck in Oct ‘19 and it had a “wet” Continental battery with a date of 9/19 on it. It has never given me a lick of trouble in 4-1/2 years but Im taking a 16 hour round trip to Georgia next month so I might as well go ahead and replace it. My questions are, should I replace it with an AGM battery? Everywhere I look up the battery for my truck it calls for an AGM, although this “wet” Continental has worked just fine. Also, theres many different methods to resetting once the battery is installed, should I just have someone with the proper scan tool do it?
What model year is your F150? Same generation, doesn't necessarily mean there weren't some changes to the BMS.

However, the general rule is that when a new battery is installed, the shop uses a scan tool to reset it as a customer convenience, because otherwise, for a while longer it may still display a message that it's powering down some things due to the battery.

Unless they changed the design at some point, this is not really needed. You just need to leave it parked/off overnight (several hours in a row, I forget the exact # but overnight will do the trick) and this will cause it to recalibrate itself.

AFAIK, you only need the AGM battery if you have auto-stop.

My 2016 F150 still has the original battery in it. I have an old fashioned battery tester that I will check it with. We had a very mild winter this year so I wasn’t really concerned about starting my truck. I can tell the battery probably is a bit down in voltage because auto start doesn’t activate very often. AGM batteries do seem to last much longer than flooded as a whole. Even though your vehicle may not need an AGM, I recommend it.

Ford dealer will sell me a 750 cca battery for $169 and an 850 cca battery for $179. Friend of mine will reset it for free. thanks kjsmith for the dealer recommendation.

Back