Battery replacement under warranty but getting a lesser battery

Bought an AC Delco 34PGHR 750 CCA 42 month battery from WorldPac in May 2018, and today it's showing a bad cell. I call them to see if they have that battery, but they say they don't carry it anymore. They would give me a 34PS 660 CCA 30 month battery instead. While I'm happy to get a new battery for free, I can't help feeling a bit screwed on the deal for getting a lesser battery. Thoughts?

I'd probably feel a bit under compensated. But you did get 3 years out of it. Are they at least giving you 30 months warranty from the replacement date? If so, in one way you are getting more. Most replacements only offer the balance of the original warranty. So if they are giving you the lesser battery, but resetting the clock on the warranty, that may make up for some of the difference.

Or not depending on your priorities. But it's a question I would ask, do you get the full 30 month warranty since the battery is not exactly a like for like replacement.

Most replacements only offer the balance of the original warranty. So if they are giving you the lesser battery, but resetting the clock on the warranty, that may make up for some of the difference.

Or not depending on your priorities. But it's a question I would ask, do you get the full 30 month warranty since the battery is not exactly a like for like replacement.
It's always the balance of the original warranty, unless this substitution is something their system can't handle so somehow this glitch resets it. I wouldn't expect that but you never know.

It's always the balance of the original warranty, unless this substitution is something their system can't handle so somehow this glitch resets it. I wouldn't expect that but you never know.

I'd certainly ask since it's not a like for like replacement. What is the compensation to make up for the lower CCA, etc.

If your warranty starts over, that is fair. If the warranty is just the remaining balance then you got screwed.

^ If that's not in the warranty then they don't really have wiggle room for that unless a manager decides they'll eat the loss.

See the pdf i linked, it states in the event that the second battery fails, date of sale of the original retail purchase is to be used as beginning date. This is in every battery warranty I've ever seen. I mean for free replacement, if it's a pro-rated new battery and you're paying the difference, then the warranty may reset.

^ If that's not in the warranty then they don't really have wiggle room for that unless a manager decides they'll eat the loss.

See the pdf i linked, it states in the event that the second battery fails, date of sale of the original retail purchase is to be used as beginning date.

I could see it done as taking it in and giving a store credit equal to the replacement and selling the replacement for that amount. New receipt, looks like a new sale, etc.

But that depends on how the store is allowed to handle that sort of thing.

On the one hand, you're coming out ahead to get a new battery after 3 years but on the other, yes they aren't fulfilling the warranty to give you a lesser battery. You could contact them to see if an ACDelco service center or retailer is nearby and can do that.

The warranty does state comparable performance. A battery with 12% less CCA may not constitute comparable performance.

Well, the original battery apparently have quality issue? It failed relatively fast.
So, may be it was discontinued?
Rating does not mean a thing if it does not last? IMO.

From what I'm learning, my AC Delco 34PGHR is made in Korea and has been discontinued and replaced with 34PG. I found another AC Delco distributor willing to exchange it but has just one of those in stock left. Supposed to get it in tomorrow. Just hope it's not been sitting 2 years on the shelf.

As suspected, sounds like they change supplier.
May be the new supplier is more honest on the CCA spec?

You are not only loosing CCA but the RC goes from 150 to 115. Might not be a problem on a daily driver but if the car sits a lot or you run the stereo with the engine off it will drain faster. The one you bought was their Gold and the one they want to give you is the Silver.

Bought an AC Delco 34PGHR 750 CCA 42 month battery from WorldPac in May 2018, and today it's showing a bad cell. I call them to see if they have that battery, but they say they don't carry it anymore. They would give me a 34PS 660 CCA 30 month battery instead. While I'm happy to get a new battery for free, I can't help feeling a bit screwed on the deal for getting a lesser battery. Thoughts?
It's not like you can do anything about this.

Back