Battery Mat

I been using this battery Mat above the battery tray to protect the metal and any items near by. It is suppose to neutralize any liquid that comes in conatct with it.

Attachments

• BATTERY-IMG_1557[8550].JPG
    BATTERY-IMG_1557[8550].JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 58
Cool, I would use one when I replace a battery. Some cars are coming with this type of thing from the factory. The Toyotas come with a heat shield sleeve type deal that wraps around the battery.

The Ford appears to be in a plastic sealed container with a lid on it.

This would be good for exposed batteries that sit on a metal tray.

doesn't an AGM accomplish the same thing? I wrapped my battery with a heat shield sleeve aswell and added a foam top.

Haven't come across an AGM with corroded posts anyway, and I have a look at them 5 days a week

^ Not really, there's a difference between a minor level of outgassing and enough pressure buildup to spill acid down into the tray. A sealed battery isn't really sealed, build up enough pressure and it will vent to avoid exploding.

The question then becomes, why is your vehicle overcharging the battery enough to cause this? A mat may protect metal from acid to some extent but doesn't keep the battery from being ruined.

Anyway, unless you just keep running a bad alternator or battery, I've never found a need for a mat. By the time the battery tray rots, and that as much from salted winter roads as acid in my location, the rest of the vehicle is due for retirement from same salted road induced rust elsewhere.

The Ford appears to be in a plastic sealed container with a lid on it.
I couldn't tell you about all models/years of Ford but some in the last decade have a standard tray, plastic dust cover cap on top, and insulator sleeve around the sides of the battery, no sealed plastic container.

That's why I would use a bit of baking soda, water and an old toothbrush to neutralize. Then install those felt rings on the battery posts.

I been using this battery Mat above the battery tray to protect the metal and any items near by. It is suppose to neutralize any liquid that comes in conatct with it.

Interesting concept. Nissan has a battery tray with a drain tube that runs to the ground still available for the 240z. A common rust area with these is the battery tray. It’s welded to the inner fender and quite laborious to replace.

It takes quite a large battery so I imagine it could be used on a variety of vehicles or at least something else aftermarket would be out there.

A 2003 Ford Taurus I fixed and sold to a friend ( and he’s still my friend 😁) used a plastic “box”, for lack of a better description, that slipped over the battery. It wasn’t heavy plastic either, just lightweight material that may have been just cosmetic.

On my 2008 Dodge Ram pickup that my nephew now has, I ordered an OEM foam sleeve that slid over the Group 65 battery just to complete the repairs I did and to return it to originality. He’s had no problem with the battery in the severe cold so it must do something or Daimler Chrysler would not have spent the extra dollar adding it 😀.

I upgraded the battery in my 2015 Ram to a Group 49 by removing the plastic clip that holds the OEM size Group 94( as the NAPA The Legend Group 94 battery that was in it when I bought it was kind of weak). The sleeve for the smaller battery is on the shelf, and I’d like to find one to fit my bigger battery. I may ask my mom to make one from some insulation mat I have...

P.S., the battery in my 2015 Ram was weakened by turning a worn out starter all this time. A new (not reman) Mopar starter for $48 from RockAuto took care of many things in my electrical system 👍.

Back