Battery discharged to 10.8v. Ok?

Dash Cam was left on for 5 days.
I turned it off.

Three days later I discover battery is dead, 10.8 volts. I'm charging it at 15 amps now.

This battery is 1 month old. Truck sat for 2 years, that's why it had a new battery.

Do you think this new battery suffered any mentionable damage? I need the vehicle to be reliable for a family member.

Thanks,
Mike

That's not too bad, but it might depend on a lot of things including the temperature. I had a Group 51 battery left in a car on the driveway for about 6 months and the battery is still reliable. The voltage was actually quite down after a while but never dead. I did charge it. It tested OK during a full service but who knows how reliable the test was.

You might get it tested.

It's been in the garage. Probably 50F at the coldest, average probably in the 60's.

Most places would take it as a warranty replacement and give you a new one. Tell'em it's a dead cell.

Get it load tested after it's charged when you go to the auto parts store.

Since you caught it fairly fast I dont think you did any noticeable damage. If it is a flooded cell you could use a hydrometer to test the cells but even then you would need to know where they started. You may have lost 5% or so of the pre discharge capacity, I doubt very much you will even be able to detect it. This will be less destructive than having the battery sit at 12v for a month, time is the biggest enemy.

it should be fine. if you have a way to apply 16V to it for 15 or 20 minutes you can clear out the sulfate that formed during the deep discharge. then keep it on a maintenace charger for a few weeks (eg overnight after being driven) it'll perform like new. a $20 load tester would come in handy for you right about now, maybe plant a seed with your wife for early fathers day gift.

I’d just get it charged and monitor it. The sooner you get it full the better, and consider keeping a charger on it for mainte since for a while, so that parasitics don’t keep drawing it down.

Its not great to deep cycle a starting battery, but it can do it a few times. In the big scheme of things it probably reduce its life 2-3%. Since you dont cycle it as a habit, cycle life isn’t really a big thing. So long as it doesn’t sit flat so the sulfation is hard to get rid of, it will come back.

FWIW, I left a barely year-old battery connected in a garaged car for 3-4 months while I was away on a job.

When I got back, I didn't take a voltage reading, but the interior lights were haunted-house dim, and it wouldn't even crank when I turned the key. That bit of foolishness also triggered an SRS system fault because the voltage was too low, which I had to get reset by someone who had the tool.

That battery ended up serving for nine years total. Don't write it off until it forces you to.

I woud not worry at all about it. The only thing I would recommend is to avoid fast charging a battery (given the choice). I use a max of 5A rate.
Get a CTEK charger (MS5.0) which I use and find superior to others I have used. It has a good desulfation & maintenance routine which are important long term.

I have (accidently!) discharged my battery twice down to zero (yes I kid you not!) during its 6 years of service and it is still going strong (touch wood)

I woud not worry at all about it. The only thing I would recommend is to avoid fast charging a battery (given the choice). I use a max of 5A rate.
Get a CTEK charger (MS5.0) which I use and find superior to others I have used. It has a good desulfation & maintenance routine which are important long term.

I have (accidently!) discharged my battery twice down to zero (yes I kid you not!) during its 6 years of service and it is still going strong (touch wood)
Holy Cow that's a fancy unit. I guess some 'automatic' chargers do those steps but it actually lets you know what it's doing.

but worth it
not all chargers are born equal! CTEK charging sequence, 8 steps (led acid, AGM & gel batteries) is better than my Noco as it che=arges my older AGM batteries to 13v as opposed to 12.8 for noco. Not to mention it's 10 days idle cycle!
they normally have LED status indicator/ display to let you know what's going on

Back