Battery (AA, AAA, C, D) Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some time, I've used my el cheapo ebay China 99c battery tester to, believe it or not, test AA, AAA, C & D batteries.

It is amazing, in how many cases, only 1 battery out of the 2 or 3 that were being used, is actually dead. The other batteries are perfectly ok. Most recently my HVAC programmable thermostat / timers and the kitchen bin with motion sensing lid have done this.

There must be so much waste in the world as a whole with perfectly good batteries being thrown out as part of a pair or triple.

So a battery tester is IMHO, a must buy for a BITOG type of person.

There, I've just increased the trade deficit with China.
spankme2.gif

I used a mult-imeter to test exact voltage of batteries. I have found the same result as you have posted above. On rare occasion I have found weird cases where one cell has reversed polarity.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I used a mult-imeter to test exact voltage of batteries. I have found the same result as you have posted above. On rare occasion I have found weird cases where one cell has reversed polarity.

at what voltage is a battery considered to be bad? always wanted to try testing batteries with my multimeter

Each device will be different as to how low of voltage it can have and still operate. After the AAA batteries are not performing very well in my pocket radio I can still get hours of use from them in my MP3 player.

Makes you wonder about the QC of batteries when a smallish percentage from the same lot wear out so quickly.

Wall clocks that take one AA are great ways to finish off mostly dead cells.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Makes you wonder about the QC of batteries when a smallish percentage from the same lot wear out so quickly.

Wall clocks that take one AA are great ways to finish off mostly dead cells.

^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back