Basket Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet this dude flips this Burban for $10k+ now. Good job to both of you
wink.gif

That sure is a slew of issues. I like ones that make your really think once and a while. Keep a you on your toes! Now if only it could have set al those 5VREF codes when you first saw it like you said and had all of those codes! Much easier. Haha.

Someone REALLY butchered that. I always say man made problems take longer to figure out/fix than naturally caused ones.

Well done.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
*Truck starts & runs fine with no check engine light, No current or pending DTC's, Can it really be this easy?
*Took it for a test drive, Nope...Not going to be that easy! Transmission doesn't shift out of low gear & the Speedometer is inoperative along with no VSS reading in scan data.

This is the point at which you tow it to the auction and be grateful for the $1,000 to $2,000 profit you will make.

Impressive.

Wonder what the prior owner was thinking: "This delicate item isn't working, I wonder if hitting it with a hammer will fix it?"

Very impressive troubleshooting as usual
thumbsup2.gif
You are an incredible mechanic, I know we tend to tell you that a lot here, but really, your ability to systematically pick apart problems that would have others scratching their heads and just walk away deserves to be recognized
smile.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Very impressive troubleshooting as usual
thumbsup2.gif
You are an incredible mechanic, I know we tend to tell you that a lot here, but really, your ability to systematically pick apart problems that would have others scratching their heads and just walk away deserves to be recognized
smile.gif

Yep, trav and Clinebarger I would say are true, smart "technicians" not hacks

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I wouldn't even had wasted my time on that truck. That sounds like a complete nightmare!

I know that back in my consumer car repair days, after awhile I liked a challenge. I suspect that's true of lots of Mechanics. It keeps the work interesting.

That's why my uncle didn't retire sooner. He LIKED troubleshooting and tracking down weird stuff. He ran the shop, and would happily have the other guys do the easy stuff, while he is dealing with something like a dump truck that turns the PTO on by itself when the wipers are on high. (An actual problem he had.)

The surest way to get him to do something was to tell him it couldn't be done.

Originally Posted by atikovi
*Truck starts & runs fine with no check engine light, No current or pending DTC's, Can it really be this easy?
*Took it for a test drive, Nope...Not going to be that easy! Transmission doesn't shift out of low gear & the Speedometer is inoperative along with no VSS reading in scan data.

This is the point at which you tow it to the auction and be grateful for the $1,000 to $2,000 profit you will make.

Or...you keep digging, pay $1000 or so to Clinebarger to fix it, then sell it for $8-10K as a clean, low-mileage truck!

Good job CLine.
That guy was hard up bad
I thought the story was going to end up that the rig was stolen.
Yer one sharp cookie

Originally Posted by Trav
Great work! Jobs like that can really go on your nerves but they have to get done. I am facing a similar horror trip with a Saab that someone hacked the wiring because they didn't have a Tech2 and started cutting wires trying get things to work that had been turned off in the system. Its going to be a huge PITA.
On these cars I use a Tech2 to change the VIN in the ECM to install parts that have been previously used in another vehicle, you know the divorce and marry parts to this ecm by VIN or they are not recognized thing, would the Tech2 change the VIN in this truck also? Do these US GM vehicles require security access to change some settings also?

Nope....Got to use SPS. I don't use my Tech2 as a passthrough (J2534) much anymore either after "bricking" a PCM with it. So I bought a MDI for all GM SPS programming. Mine being an original Hewlett Packard made one might have something to do with it?

Another oddity is.....You can't unlock radios on GMT800/GMT900 trucks with a Tech2, got to use SPS. But you can on all the passenger cars
crazy.gif

IIRC....Isn't Saab/Opel a whole other system & uses it's own proprietary card software?

I can change the VIN with HP-Tuners, Though I didn't on this one because GMT800's can easily be stolen with a screwdriver anyway.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by atikovi

Or...you keep digging, pay $1000 or so to Clinebarger to fix it, then sell it for $8-10K as a clean, low-mileage truck!

Probably more on a "Tote the Note"! He'll get what he has in it or more for a down payment & repo it the first chance he gets then rinse/repeat.

That's close to what I charged, Good guess.

Originally Posted by Trav
Great work! Jobs like that can really go on your nerves but they have to get done. I am facing a similar horror trip with a Saab that someone hacked the wiring because they didn't have a Tech2 and started cutting wires trying get things to work that had been turned off in the system. Its going to be a huge PITA.
On these cars I use a Tech2 to change the VIN in the ECM to install parts that have been previously used in another vehicle, you know the divorce and marry parts to this ecm by VIN or they are not recognized thing, would the Tech2 change the VIN in this truck also? Do these US GM vehicles require security access to change some settings also?

Nope....Got to use SPS. I don't use my Tech2 as a passthrough (J2534) much anymore either after "bricking" a PCM with it. So I bought a MDI for all GM SPS programming. Mine being an original Hewlett Packard made one might have something to do with it?

Another oddity is.....You can't unlock radios on GMT800/GMT900 trucks with a Tech2, got to use SPS. But you can on all the passenger cars
crazy.gif

IIRC....Isn't Saab/Opel a whole other system & uses it's own proprietary card software?

I can change the VIN with HP-Tuners, Though I didn't on this one because GMT800's can easily be stolen with a screwdriver anyway.

Yes SAAB/Opel use a different proprietary card, I have the SAAB and Saturn/Opel in the Tech 2 with CANDI but I rarely use the GM card, I have MDI and TIS2 also. IIRC wasn't HP the original Tech2 or was it Vertronix?
Strange the radio cant be unlocked in the trucks but can be in the cars with the Tech2.
For the pre Subaru SAAB cars the Tech 2 is the best tool to use on them, so far I have not found another tool that can do some of the modules eg CIM/ISM as easily or at all.

HP made them originally, Then Vertronix got the contract. My CanDi module is made by Vertronix. The old HP ones can't be repaired anymore because parts are virtually non-existent.

I'm scared of dropping it or otherwise getting damaged, So I don't use it unless i have to like unlocking a radio or some weird HVAC issue on a Cadillac or similar. My Snap-on Solus Ultra has really good GM domestic support & is a lot more durable.

I remember buying my Tech2 in the first quarter of 1999 for a little over $5,000 which was A LOT of bread for a tool the dealership provided for free.

Before I got the Solus I was using a software based program for US domestic (other than GM) and Japanese, with the proprietary add-ons it did a good job.
One thing I liked about it was the screen size. All this stuff cost a lot of money but what can you do, if you are an independent there isn't much choice if you want to do the work.

[Linked Image]

Good job - I was thinking the 5v reference signal as I was reading because I have seen that several times....then you mentioned it. Good work. I have probably 15 scan tools including GM Tech 1, Tech 2 and MDI, Ford and FCA tools, OTC and others. I have a Snap On Solus Pro (with the European and Asian and OBD1 kits and all the keys and latest update they had- still the worst scan tool I ever used. Has almost no bidirectional controls and the dumb keys! My associate has the latest Snap on tool and still comes to me for simple stuff his can't do and he paid so much for it off the tool truck. There are better options than Snap on for scan tools.

Last edited:
The Solus Ultra does pretty good on GM & Ford, Not much it won't do on these 2. FCA Bidirectional is OK but data PID's are severely lacking. No personality keys like the Pro.

80% of my business is GM & Ford trucks, So the Solus Ultra works really good for me as an everyday carry. I have IDS & Forscan to compliment the Ford side.

What I've personally seen Snap-on do is......They delete a bunch of functions on the last/FINAL update of a obsolete scanner....Like your Pro. They did it to the MT2500 & the first gen Modis. I guess they believe it forces some to buy new scanners?

They're about to axe support for the Ultra & push the Solus Edge, Mine is updated to 2018 & I probably won't update it any further for the reasons above.

I would never claim Snap-on scanners are the best, But I'm very good at getting the most out of them & know "where" everything is. Mine was a Demo/Loaner & pretty cheap.

How do you like the OTC? I want to test drive one but haven't had the chance

Last edited:
The Solus Ultra does pretty good on GM & Ford, Not much it won't do on these 2. FCA Bidirectional is OK but data PID's are severely lacking. No personality keys like the Pro.

80% of my business is GM & Ford trucks, So the Solus Ultra works really good for me as an everyday carry. I have IDS & Forscan to compliment the Ford side.

What I've personally seen Snap-on do is......They delete a bunch of functions on the last/FINAL update of a obsolete scanner....Like your Pro. They did it to the MT2500 & the first gen Modis. I guess they believe it forces some to buy new scanners?

They're about to axe support for the Ultra & push the Solus Edge, Mine is updated to 2018 & I probably won't update it any further for the reasons above.

I would never claim Snap-on scanners are the best, But I'm very good at getting the most out of them & know "where" everything is. Mine was a Demo/Loaner & pretty cheap.

How do you like the OTC? I want to test drive one but haven't had the chance

Great information on the Snap On and I bet you are correct. I was hoping the newer models were more equipped. I got a super deal on mine as well. I is like brand new condition, all the optional "kits" and keys for $800. As for the OTC - it is cumbersome and the operating system is slow to respond almost as slow as my Tech 2. I don't recommend it as any better than any other tool available. I have been itching to try these Autel units that seem to do a lot for a great price.

Last edited:
Tech 1 & 2 had been developed 2 floors above the shop where I handled the warranty claims of the system supplier, back then Rochester, AC Delco, Delco Electronics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back