Baseoil from sugar. Novvi and renewable base oils.

This came up in another thread so I felt it deserved its own. Novvi is making renewable base oils, both Grp III+ and Grp IV PAO from Farnesene which is derived from sugar. Anyone know of this and how does this compare to traditional base oil as far as performance?

Chevron is pushing their Havoline Pro RS as their premium product. That has 25% of this base oil.

Chevron is pushing their Havoline Pro RS as their premium product. That has 25% of this base oil.
I see. I have never liked any chevron isosyn products I have used in the past, including Havoline pro DS - which was many years ago
Maybe this formulation is better.

Does Chevron advertise the use of SynNova on the product box?

Thanks.

I see. I have never liked any chevron isosyn products I have used in the past, including Havoline pro DS - which was many years ago
Maybe this formulation is better.

Does Chevron advertise the use of SynNova on the product box?

Thanks.

I think the name Novvi is on the box. I haven’t seen the RS in person yet so I cannot be sure.

The one article I linked in the first post seems to be a dead end all of a sudden. 🧐

Here is another link. They do mention IsoDewaxing which is their Isosyn process I believe.

Wow, sugar...and we thought wax was bad when Quaker State got a bad rap on it. (Or was it Pennzoil?)
Hey, you wax the outside of the car to make it shine, time to wax the inside of the engine :)

Anyway, Conventional motor oil is a "liquid wax" for those who don't know.

Not fish oil, even though it has a Pair of Fins

This came up in another thread so I felt it deserved its own. Novvi is making renewable base oils, both Grp III+ and Grp IV PAO from Farnesene which is derived from sugar. Anyone know of this and how does this compare to traditional base oil as far as performance?

I don't see any mention of producing PAO there? PAO is a single type of base oil produced using Ethylene, where it sounds like these renewable base oils are Group III:
Novvi said:
SynNova SSBO is classified as a Group III API base oil. SynNova meets all of the requirements of API 1509 documentation for base oil classification of saturates >90%, aromatics 120.

This article mentions it but with no details. It is old though.

Interesting, well, PAO is PAO, so I assume they were able to produce ethylene from a different feedstock, which piques my interest. More PAO, and less expensive, would be awesome.

Interesting, well, PAO is PAO, so I assume they were able to produce ethylene from a different feedstock, which piques my interest. More PAO, and less expensive, would be awesome.

It’s a fascinating subject that goes beyond motor oil too.

I was just reading this vaguely related snippet from a larger article assessable to the layperson**

Estolides
Unsaturated or hydroxycarboxylic fatty acids, as a renewable (plant) resource, possess strong lubrication properties that are difficult to apply in finished lubricants due to low cold temperature performance and oxidative stability. However, when converted to estolides, they become fully saturated, secondary esters with mostly hydrocarbon characteristics that impart stronger oxidative/low temperature performance.[2] There are two options for synthesising estolides from vegetable oils (oleic):

Polymerisation involving the epoxidation of unsaturations (double bonds) of fatty acids
Reactions of hydroxy fatty acids, such as ricinoleic acid (C18:1-0H) from castor oil or lesquerolic acids (C20:1-0H).

I think the name Novvi is on the box. I haven’t seen the RS in person yet so I cannot be sure.

The one article I linked in the first post seems to be a dead end all of a sudden. 🧐

Here is another link. They do mention IsoDewaxing which is their Isosyn process I believe.

I don't see the name "Novvi" on the box. Here is the up-to-date website; no more mentions of sugar

Back