Basement Entrance From Garage

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I just bought a house that was built in 2007 that has a attached 3 car garage. I would like to put an entrance in going from the garage to the basement. Have that now with salt treated steps elsewhere.

The basement is 9 foot tall and poured. I have no idea why they didn't do this anyway.

Anyone here ever do that and any thoughts. When I was younger I did a few Bilco doors in 12" block foundations from outside but not like this.
I have plenty of room to put steps in and the attached garage is around
30x40...
Of course the garage floor is concrete from 2007.. Thanks..

Last edited:
I have that in my garage, with blocks, and a Bilco door. It is very convenient and secure.

Cutting the access will be the hard part. Find a good concrete guy.

Have you checked your local building codes? There may have been a reason for not doing it.
Yes I have and no issues there.
I am familiar with sawing etc and the process. The large basement is unfinished and the only exit is the stairs going to the main floor.

I don't think anyone would want to finish the basement without a secondary exit for safety purposes or even to run a home business without another entrance.. (etc.)
Makes no sense to me.
Not sure you can even do this today to meet code...can you?

It has many windows but they are typical basement windows and provide No escape route...

I am guessing if no other issues probably $10k

Yes I have and no issues there.
I am familiar with sawing etc and the process. The large basement is unfinished and the only exit is the stairs going to the main floor.

I don't think anyone would want to finish the basement without a secondary exit for safety purposes or even to run a home business without another entrance.. (etc.)
Makes no sense to me.
Not sure you can even do this today to meet code...can you?

It has many windows but they are typical basement windows and provide No escape route...

I am guessing if no other issues probably $10k
Garage/house door solid wood 1-3/8", solid steel doors or honeycomb core steel door both1-3/8" thick equipped with self-closing device. IRC. Bilco probably complies.

Garage/house door solid wood 1-3/8", solid steel doors or honeycomb core steel door both1-3/8" thick equipped with self-closing device. IRC. Bilco probably complies.
Here I just have a single steel door in the basement and steps coming from the garage and a handrail.
Of course on the other end is a walk out basement. Need to get a picture. Was built this way instead of the afterwards fiasco

A risk would be leaking gasoline, both in liquid form, and the vapor on top of the leaking liquid, usually not above a certain height.
That is why attached garages have a step up into the house and items like waters heaters and other spark/ pilot type of equipment are set up off of the ground.

Also, any heavier than air gasses might be a concern.

Consult an architect so they can safely address and design around the issues above and any others that may be present.

Unfinished you say... can you just put a roll up door in it and turn it all into a shop? I'm not even completely kidding....

Have to do some kind of header over the door I'm sure....

A risk would be leaking gasoline, both in liquid form, and the vapor on top of the leaking liquid, usually not above a certain height.
That is why attached garages have a step up into the house and items like waters heaters and other spark/ pilot type of equipment are set up off of the ground.

Also, any heavier than air gasses might be a concern.

Consult an architect so they can safely address and design around the issues above and any others that may be present.

That could be take care of with a low height concrete threshold at the top of the stairs going to the the basement. Yes that would create a trip hazard but I’ve seen it done, especially on outside stairs going down into a basement.

Any stairs will cut into the usable floor space of the garage in order to have a comfortable step height. Then you would have to measure to see if the entrance height will be sufficient. You don’t want a door with a short header height.

My basement has access from inside the house and garage.
I use the garage access more.
Basement is finished, hence the door.

Attachments

• garage 1.jpg
    garage 1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 203
  • garage 2.jpg
    garage 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 205
Back