Based on these few spec's what would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets take 3 oils, the mfg is not important all oils a 20 grade for an engine spec'd for a 20 grade. Here are some of the specs, which would you use based on specs alone, and why? Most oil buffs might know the products by the specs, (PLEASE LETS NOT GET BRANDS INVOLVED, LET THEM REMAIN NAMELESS). These are 0w20 and 5W20 grade oils. I didn't label them. I made a friend on this site and we've exchanged a few PM's about this and he suggested I run this question on the board.

Lets say you were going to use one one for all seasons, temps from -10*F- 100*F.

HTHS 2.8
Visc @100 C cSt 9
Visc @40C cSt 49.1

HTHS 2.7
Visc @ 100C cSt 8.5
Visc @ 40C cSt 45.4

HTHS 2.7
Visc @ 100C cSt 8.2
Visc @ 40C cSt 43

HTHS 3.3
Visc @100C cSt 9.1
Visc @ 40C cSt 55

TIA
AD

Is the engine specced for xW-20 world wide or just in North America? Since you didn't say, I will assume it's like most engines and only specced for xW-20 in North America.

Any 5W is more than good enough for -10F, so -10F is a canard.

I would pick what's behind door number 4 because its HTHS is acceptable for a 30 weight.

Shift the temperature of the thinnest of the three about 5 degrees and it would be thicker than the thickest. I didn't calculate that, but since 10 to 15 degrees makes the same viscosity difference as an entire SAE grade, it's a safe guess.

Last edited:
I do a LOT of short trips in my 5w-20 spec'd Honda, so I'd most like to try oil #3--nice and thin, but with a respectable HT/HS compared to most other 20 grade oils.

However, since I'm still under warranty, oil #2 is the only one my manufacturer wouldn't frown upon.

I would say #1 listed...
grin2.gif

I like the last one #4? especially for the high temp days. Low temp will still be more than adequate, too. HTHS 3.3 is good for me, even if I lose a tad on fuel economy.

I like this one:

HTHS 2.6
Visc @100 C cSt 7.8
Visc @40C cSt 41.3

I don't choose oils by PDS figures, but if i did...

Funny I was leaning toward #1, and thought #4 was going to be first choice.

Interesting,
AD

Hi ADFD1,
although I have never used such thin oils and I don't have the knowledge or experience to answer your question, I must say this is a very nice question because of the way you typed it...
like a blind study in statistics
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment. After the thick vs thin debates, the love hate Mobil 1, some Royal Purple discussions, etc. I wanted to stick to specs and leave the brand associated loyalty, or emotions out of it.

AD

Except for the HTHS, they are all so close you might as well base your choice based on which way the bottle is turned on the shelf. I doubt the HTHS even a makes difference in most cases.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Except for the HTHS, they are all so close you might as well base your choice based on which way the bottle is turned on the shelf. I doubt the HTHS even a makes difference in most cases.

Totally agree, short of #4 (Redline). The other 3 are essentially the same.

I think we get way too wrapped up in the minuscule details here.

The difference in specs between 5w-20 and 10w-40 is more meaningful.

Some people base decisions based on HTHS only, which is why I thought #4 was going to be the one most people would pick. Looks like there is more to it than that. As it turns out #4 has the highest pour point, making it the least attractive in extreme cold.

AD

I'd go with number #4. It's a bit thicker. It most likely will thin out a bit as miles accumulate.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Some people base decisions based on HTHS only, which is why I thought #4 was going to be the one most people would pick. Looks like there is more to it than that. As it turns out #4 has the highest pour point, making it the least attractive in extreme cold.

AD

-10F isn't extreme cold.

It's not but I'm guessing the others will pour easier at -10F than choice #4.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back