Bars Leak H60 Hydraulic fluid additive

I am looking to use this product https://barsleaks.com/product/hydraulic-seal-h60/ in my 2006 excavator that has around 3000 hours. I don't believe the snake oil hype (please don't suggest that) with all the advancements in chemical technology. Any experience with this product in hydraulic systems? Looking more to improve the system and prevent leaks from hardened seals.

Last edited:
There products work well usually. I’ve never used that particular one but I’ve used many of their other products to seal up leaks in different spots.

these are used in the industry at mfg level or end use customers.
They are esters that add some seal swell or softning and some "slip" or friction modifier.
Used in elevators where they do not want the elevator to lurch or jerk to a stop.

Story about esters:
Driving 2005 Unimog U500 camper back from Mongolia in July 2016. Left front portal gearbox started leaking from inner seal just outboard of CV joint which is out in open. Vehicle had ~93K miles. We were camping about 250 miles NE from Moscow when I noticed it. I use Delvac Synthetic GL5 gear oil 75W90 as per MB recommendations.
I had 2.5L x2 unopened Penrite GL5 75W90 that I bought in Australia in 2010 for top-up when needed.
I contacted Unicat in Germany (they built camper) and they sent me directions to 1 of the 3 Unimog-only MB service places in Russian Federation, fortunately on Moscow outer ring road.
Penrite says their gear oil that I had inside truck is very high in esters. I stopped every ~20 miles to check level and refill if needed. It gradually stopped after ~80 miles and never leaked again!!
I did have seal replaced at Berendsen near Karlsruhe (another Unimog only MB dealer) over the winter.
But esters really do cause (beneficial) seal expansion, I am convinced.

Back