Barrier creams instead of gloves.... I use---

Curious what other auto mechanics are using for barrier cream. Several years now I have been using "Selan+" which costs around $13 delivered for a 16 oz tub. Active ingredients are listed at 2% as zinc oxide and 2% dimethicone. It is truly a "cream" and not a greasy "ointment." Really works quite well for when I do not want to wear gloves. Works every bit as good as much more expensive brands. Makes washing off your hands of black oily grease from automitive projects easy. I always work it under the fingernails, first, then all over hands and then wipe off excess with a rag. Last weekend I replaced brake pads and rotors and bled the brakes at home, and the hands washed off clean with basic soap and water. Amazing stuff that barrier cream. Notice that the Selan+ is not marketed to gearheads. It mostly used by nursing homes, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 32
amazing! I didn’t know this was a thing. My dad taught me years ago to rub liquid dish soap into my skin, like dawn or Palmolive. i Learned to wet my hands a little first and it seemed to get in deeper. Worked well but my skin was a little uncomfortable and dry. But certainly better than saturated with used oil and gasoline..

I've been using liquid gloves for 20 years. I don't mind getting my hands dirty as long as I can fully wash the filth off once I'm done. I'm a bit of a clean freak.

Never heard the Palmolive one before. Unlike dish soap, this stuff actually moisturizes your hands, also.

When I paint, I use Cetaphil or CeraVe as a “barrier” cream. Paint will still dry on your hands but it will come off easier.

Interesting that all of the ones listed here so far are water based. They also all so far contain some amount of dimeticone. No waxes or vasaline, etc as often found in typical inexpensive moisturizers.

Interesting that all of the ones listed here so far are water based. They also all so far contain some amount of dimeticone. No waxes or vasaline, etc as often found in typical inexpensive moisturizers.
Dimethcone is a silicone-based skin protectant. It also prevents moisture loss. That's why it's in all skin barrier products of this type. I use Cavilon spray because it dries very quickly. You won't have sticky hands after applying it. It's used by our lab techs and it works well.

I use a Conklin product called Fortress. It was discontinued years ago but I still have some. It works well but I usually don't remember to use it before I start working. I believe it is dimethicone based.

Baby Oil. Ive changed U-Joints, Transmissions and third members in Heavy trucks that have the worst blackest grease you can imagine. Baby oil before and after the job and hands are clean as a babys bottom. It melts grease and ive even used it as a quickie parts washer.

A $10 box of gloves lasts me 4-6 months. Much easier to toss in the trash after finishing a job than trying to wash off, not to mention all the grease and dirt that gets deposited in the sink from washing your hands that you have to now clean up.

Dimethcone is a silicone-based skin protectant. It also prevents moisture loss. That's why it's in all skin barrier products of this type. I use Cavilon spray because it dries very quickly. You won't have sticky hands after applying it. It's used by our lab techs and it works well.
Greetings-
I use cheap shaving cream foam. Rub it in and works great. Prevents grime and grease from clinging. Got silicone in it for those smooth shaves!

Years ago my wife gave me some Avon Silicone Gloves. Not sure it's the same as what you guys are talking about but it did make clean up easier.

What's wrong with gloves?
Nothing is wrong with gloves until they get in the way. I usually wear gloves, either disposable or mechanics gloves. Sometimes, when I have to feel my way around or if I work on electrical stuff in the engine bay I don't wear gloves.

In my hobby, I prefer Mechanix brand gloves on the occasion when I need to step in and help take apart a hot engine. So it's mostly about handling hot parts without burning yourself. At home maintaining my own stuff, I also use the Mechanix gloves when possible. Fewer cuts, skinned knuckles, etc.

i was interested until i seen the ingredients, mainly methylparaben which is an endrocrine disruptor, not good for the "boys" hanging below!! there are a lot of others + ALL should be avoided as much as possible!!

i was interested until i seen the ingredients, mainly methylparaben which is an endrocrine disruptor, not good for the "boys" hanging below!! there are a lot of others + ALL should be avoided as much as possible!!
Cavilon is free of paraben and safe on your boys. For those of us who use barrier cream on their hands as intended, even if it contains paraben, the protection provided from more toxic compounds outweighs the minimal concern from paraben absorption through the skin on your hands. It's not like you bathe in it all day. I'd be more worried about chlorine absorption when taking a long shower.

Last edited:
Cavilon is free of paraben and safe on your boys. For those of us who use barrier cream on their hands as intended, even if it contains paraben, the protection provided from more toxic compounds outweighs the minimal concern from paraben absorption through the skin on your hands. It's not like you bathe in it all day. I'd be more worried about chlorine absorption when taking a long shower.
Looking at the ingredient list of Cavilon is just as troubling as most any cream. Boys require liver and kidney. If you want to be as safe as you think you are, you would not be using the same product all the time. Give yourself a break from Acrylate's and try one of the water based lotions mentioned here for a while.
Acrylate Terpolymer, Benzoic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Dehydroacetic Acid, Diisooctyl Adipate, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Magnesium Sulphate, Mineral Oil,

Back