Barrel cleaning pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to clean any "military" type firearm or any semi-automatic pistol I use after each time, by field stripping and proper, prescribed cleaning, simply because that was screamed into me in one of those spit and polish outfits. For an ordinary rifle, I'd be more concerned about a proper cleaning (and subsequent oiling) if I were going to be storing it for a period. Of course, there's rarely a bad time to give it a bit of oil.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If corrosive ammo , clean by that night .

What is corrosive ammo ?

Cartridges that use Potassium Chlorate compounds in the primers. When it oxidizes it forms Potassium Chloride salts that can end up anywhere in the gas system(auto firearms) and bore. The salts attract moisture from the air and can lead to corrosion.

"Non-corrosive" powder residue can also trap moisture from the air and cause corrosion but it's not as fast.

Yep. These days, you mostly only get "corrosive" ammo (with Cl in primer) is surplus type ammunition.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/corrosive-ammunition/

https://www.guntweaks.com/corrosive-ammunition.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Does corrosive ammo really represent such a threat?

Not at all. I shoot it just like any other ammo and clean my firearms the same way. I only use Hoppes 9 and CLP and have never had any corrosion. After I shoot, I clean. No exceptions. That's the way I was taught as a child and it's worked for me for almost 40 years now.

Not at all. I shoot it just like any other ammo and clean my firearms the same way. I only use Hoppes 9 and CLP and have never had any corrosion. After I shoot, I clean. No exceptions. That's the way I was taught as a child and it's worked for me for almost 40 years now.

No need in buying all that expensive FOO FOO JUICE. I too have been cleaning my firearms the same way, after shooting, clean right away. And, using the bare necessities. It has been working like this for me over 40 years.

40 years of same guns service is a mountain I've never climbed. I generally tire after 10-15 years and sell for a different lot / arsenal.
I always replenish buying new..... never used.

None of my buyers over the years have even complained about excess wear or rust. If a gun slowly starts losing it's accuracy, there's a great chance you are using too weak of a cleaner. Copper, lead, plastic.....etc....buildup can be fixed in a hurry. Use a proper store brand-name cleaner that fits the buildup and any oil that doesn't gum-up or run usually works for decades of use.

No stinkin' motor oil here. That karapolla is for the cheapskates.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

No need in buying all that expensive FOO FOO JUICE. I too have been cleaning my firearms the same way, after shooting, clean right away. And, using the bare necessities. It has been working like this for me over 40 years.

Hoppe's #9 is foo foo juice?

Sure, in the way that Kentucky Bourbon is a kiddie drink...

It's been around for 100 years, works well, and is cheap compared with many solvents.

I looked at my ammo, gun purchase, and cleaning spending over the past year.

Cleaning supplies are about 1%. Much of that is patches. "Foo Foo Juice" of all kinds; cleaners, solvents, lube, came to under 1%. Now, I did buy 4 guns, none of them cheap, and I did go through some ammo (which is relatively cheap right now), but if the solvent and oil purchases are causing you financial concern, then I recommend that you re-examine your hobby and shoot more while cleaning less.

If it's a macho thing, "I only clean with Kerosene and acetone, and ATF, because I mix my own. Those rip off companies won't scalp me!", well, then nothing I say is going to make any difference... even though there are some very effective products out there that work very well for specific tasks. Much better than generic consumer/automotive products.

And I choose to spend my pittance/1% on effective products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back