Good multi-pump .22 air rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waging a war on the rabbits that eat my wife's flowers. I have been using a Crosman 2100X .177 rifle with Crosman 8.5 gr lead free pellets.

I have had 100% success with heart/lung shots but am not confident in the rifle/scope to provide me clean (humane) head shots. Heart/lung shots yield death with in seconds, Bugs never makes it out of my yard.

A long shot is 30-40 feet in my backyard. I set up in my kitchen shooting out the sliding door like a sniper in a war zone. I would like to extend my shots out farther (humanely) and would like a .22 (or possibly .177) multi-pump rifle. So far the only thing I can come up with is a Benjamin but they aren't built w/ a rail for a scope. In shopping around they apparently make some type of mount for the scope on a Benjamin but it doesn't look like something I would trust.

I would settle on a .177 if it had good (higher) velocity but anything in .177 with some velocity is either a break barrel spring design or CO2/gas powered. I have tried some break barrel spring rifles and never had any accuracy with them that justified the price compared to my $40 pump rifle.

Suggestions? Not on a budget so I would be willing to spend a few hundred. (I am in a municipality so my 10-22, 39A and Model 67 are absolutely out of the question.)

You mention a owning a 10-22, could you get away with shooting subsonic rounds?

My son has a gammo, its very powerful and accurate. I think it is a spring break though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
You mention a owning a 10-22, could you get away with shooting subsonic rounds?

Tried a box of Remington light loads years ago and it wouldn't work the action completely.

Plus, I wouldn't even consider it in town here.

Barney Fife lives a few houses down and he said I would be fine if I am careful/quiet about my activities. He acknowledged I wasn't the only one to ask.

I have a problem with pests that carry disease and can cause property damage. I also have a 10-22, but firing that is illegal where I live. Assuming I could even reliably find ammo for it.

So I went with this: Umarex Octane Air Rifle

I am by no means an Air Rifle expert, but here are my impressions: It is fairly inexpensive, seems to be really well built, is accurate, and has good power. Initially it was Loud, but quickly quieted down. Overall, I consider it a good purchase.

Pump .22 s are far and in between and when you do find them them they are dear. I know you said money isn't a issue still a rip off for what you get. How about a Nice Henery Lever action .22. I have one and you can buy them anywhere.
If you don't want a Golden boy, you can get a plain blued one cheap. Great Quality, American made rifles. You will love it better than a cheap Rossi pump or foreign made one.

22 Hatsan PCP. You can go to 75 yds at least with a PCP. Hatsan make some nice ones with a suppressor so they will likely not be heard by any neighbor. I have the same issue with squirrels and my wife's Walnuts which she sells out of her commercial culinary garden ...

You can do the Benjamin Discoverer in 22 and a hand pump to get the reservoir full. It'll be cheaper then the Hatsan and a nitrogen cylinder for refills.

Once you shoot a PCP, you will not go back to a break barrel or a multi pump air rifle. They are much more accurate and consistent. Like quarter sized groups at 90 yds with production ammo they don't like. Find the right pellet and the group will shrink to a dime
laugh.gif

Most have rails for scope mounts. Use a good 22 or air rifle scope. One with adjustable objective is better if you want to set up one a specific range. 4X is plenty as you will not be shooting more than 75~90 yds most often.

I practice on buck-eyes at 97 yds. I will usually get one out of two with a slight breeze. Dead calm and I can pretty much just start working the tree down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm surprised that you get away with the air rifle if you live in Illinois

emot005.gif

I have a Benjamin Sherington 177 and have no problem with Rabbits or squirrels up to 200 feet with an open sight. The rifle has a side mount for a sight, but I have never seen the need for a sight at that range.

But I have to admit, I don't really like the rifle, I have had far better quality Czechoslovakian rifels for less $.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
This model 48 will do the job, available in 177 and .22 caliber. The model 54 is even better.
Any scope for these guns will need to be airgun rated.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_48_Air_Rifle_TO6_Trigger/403
Beat me to it...a neighbor set up a squirrel blind in his garage. Shots the varmit-kong hijacking his bird feeder. He let me borrow it while I eliminated similar varmit-kong from my trees. Most impressive weapon. Quite heavy; similar in weight to my Marlin .22LR.

Please tell me you eat these varmints. I guess a nuisance varmint is in the eye of the beholder but I've never had a bunny problem. Don't see many of them around here anymore.

And... They're just flowers. Its not like they're eating your beans.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Please tell me you eat these varmints. I guess a nuisance varmint is in the eye of the beholder but I've never had a bunny problem. Don't see many of them around here anymore.

Nope, they get an aerial burial at the farm and the buzzards eat good. I have a cousin that raises meat rabbits if I want to eat good/real rabbit.

I missed that part about the flowers. Be a cold day before I do kill a rabbit and not eat it and a colder day before I'd kill a rabbit for eating flowers. Eating you vegetables is one thing, flowers- worthless.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I missed that part about the flowers. Be a cold day before I do kill a rabbit and not eat it and a colder day before I'd kill a rabbit for eating flowers. Eating you vegetables is one thing, flowers- worthless.

What is your address? I will dress the one I shot tonight and ship it to you. FYI, it had more ticks on its ears than I could count. I didn't bother checking for fleas.

Yep, just flowers. But this is America and we can have our own opinions and values. However, since this is BITOG I am expected to acquiesce to the minority opinion.

Just wondering, what spring break barrels did you use? I have a gas piston break barrel that seems perfectly accurate. I read that the gas pistons may be a little easier to shoot accurately. I have a hatsan 95 vortex, seems to be built well.

My Stoeger spring break barrel is very accurate with plenty of power. I don't shoot rabbits with it however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back